A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ill be posting a major post in the upcoming weeks like I did last year.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using SDN Mobile

I'll be a nooby 1st year while you all go through the application cycle, but I'll try to get on and answer questions when I can!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is my #1 choice school! Hopin' my MCAT score will be competitive enough when I get it back in a few weeks. :)

I'll be a nooby 1st year while you all go through the application cycle, but I'll try to get on and answer questions when I can!

You better believe I will be asking some questions :D

Any little things I should know about? i.e. mandatory classes

This is my #1 choice school! Hopin' my MCAT score will be competitive enough when I get it back in a few weeks. :)

Same here other than my instate MD school... Keeping fingers crossed for the MCAT results

Any little things I should know about? i.e. mandatory classes

I spoke with a few students, and the majority of them skip most of their lectures and just study at a location of their choosing, referring to recorded lectures if needed. There will be things like labs and such that are mandatory, of course ;)

Lectures aren't mandatory, if they are then it will say so on the calendar. Labs like OTM, anatomy, and histology are required. After a few months or so people will stop coming to class, it's really dependent on your own personal preferences.

current student here.

i'll be much more active on here over the summer. if anyone has any questions, feel more than free to pm me and i'll get back to you within a few hours.

cGPA 3.54/ sGPA 3.43 applicant.
Is there any regional bias to this school, or preference for primary care physicians?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

3.5ish sGPA and cGPA, 26O here.

Anything that any current students don't like about the school? I'm scoping out a few schools to apply to this cycle and KCOM is looking like a pretty good school so far. Also, any certain ECs or other aspects of the application that the school seems to like more than others?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

3.5ish sGPA and cGPA, 26O here.

Anything that any current students don't like about the school? I'm scoping out a few schools to apply to this cycle and KCOM is looking like a pretty good school so far. Also, any certain ECs or other aspects of the application that the school seems to like more than others?

Thanks!
I've toured the school, (very nice) and shadowing hours are more important than just volunteering according to the fellow who took me around. I've found volunteering to be easier to come by, so getting "around 100 hours to be competitive" as he put it is a challenge for me. (Esp. as a working non-trad with limited vacation to burn on shadowing!) That is all that I have heard straight from them. Of course if your volunteer experiences involved a lot of patient-physician interaction it may hold more weight with them as an EC... but I digress, as I seem to have wandered from what I know, to suppositions and predictions. :) Hope this helps and good luck!

Last edited:
Well I dropped the ball on the mcat with a 24, but still going to give it a shot.

URM applying to KCOM with 3.15 cGPA, 3.35 sGPA ... Shooting for 28+ MCAT.... Should I apply with anything less than 28? because there are rumors on SDN that KCOM is "mcat obsessed" like AZCOM and NOVA...

URM applying to KCOM with 3.15 cGPA, 3.35 sGPA ... Shooting for 28+ MCAT.... Should I apply with anything less than 28? because there are rumors on SDN that KCOM is "mcat obsessed" like AZCOM and NOVA...

Information referred to here is from the ATSU website: http://www.atsu.edu/about/quickfacts.htm

MCAT for 2012: KCOM and SOMA averages both at 27. (up from 26 over the last few years)

GPA for 2012: KCOM at 3.56/3.49 , and SOMA at 3.42/3.32 (Cumulative/Science)

The MCAT average of admitted students does appear to be increasing, though I am not sure this qualifies as an obsession.

Hope this helps.

applying here!
3.5c 3.4s 25mcat
ND resident
a bit on the low side but hopin for some love!

AACOMAS application submitted June 1st, and verified today. Starting to get kinda excited. :)

Any students/applicants know the secondary prompts?

Any students/applicants know the secondary prompts?

Secondary prompt from last year:

Some biographical info is asked for, some copy paste stuff for EC's and then these prompts.

Have you applied to KCOM previously?
If yes, previous application year(s) and detail below what has changed since your last application.

What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM?
(Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

What specific experience/exposure have you had with osteopathic medicine? How has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician?
(Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

Asks about convictions of any crimes. And secondary is $70.00.

I'm applying here. My DO LoR is an Ortho KCOM grad. I've heard good and bad things about this school (only on SDN) so looking forward to experiencing the interview and atmosphere here!

Good luck all!

I'm applying here. My DO LoR is an Ortho KCOM grad. I've heard good and bad things about this school (only on SDN) so looking forward to experiencing the interview and atmosphere here!

You'll probably enjoy the school during interview day. I remember how excited I was when I was done at KCOM, even though I ended up shopping other schools for another month.

One of the second years I talked to recently said she picked KCOM over an MD school she got into because of the attitudes of the students she met... KCOM students seemed pretty well-adjusted while their MD counterparts seemed sort of miserable. Of course, it's N=1 but that was a pretty bold move on her part. I at least have to agree with her on the morale of KCOM students.

Information referred to here is from the ATSU website: http://www.atsu.edu/about/quickfacts.htm

MCAT for 2012: KCOM and SOMA averages both at 27. (up from 26 over the last few years)

GPA for 2012: KCOM at 3.56/3.49 , and SOMA at 3.42/3.32 (Cumulative/Science)

The MCAT average of admitted students does appear to be increasing, though I am not sure this qualifies as an obsession.

Hope this helps.

Thanks...That helps! Will apply with anything above 24 regardless.

I've spoken with random, anonymous KCOM students in person, outside of campus, and not during interview day. They seemed to really love the school, faculty, and fellow classmates. I really loved the vibes during interview day as well!

One of my friends who is finishing up their rotations said their main gripe was that rotation sites (off-site) go very fast when it's time to sign up.

One of my friends who is finishing up their rotations said their main gripe was that rotation sites (off-site) go very fast when it's time to sign up.
Reading about orthojoe and his experiences setting up his own rotation sites etc...would that be an option for a motivated student?

Reading about orthojoe and his experiences setting up his own rotation sites etc...would that be an option for a motivated student?

I'm not familiar with this...maybe someone else with knowledge can chime in?

Ill let someone else speak to KCOM specific but OrthoJoe went to AZCOM and I believe what you are referring to was 4th year rotations. Most schools provide you with the flexibility to set up your own, where ever you want fourth year. Some even allow 3rd year on electives, the challenge is finding hospitals willing to take anyone below 4th years.

Ill let someone else speak to KCOM specific but OrthoJoe went to AZCOM and I believe what you are referring to was 4th year rotations. Most schools provide you with the flexibility to set up your own, where ever you want fourth year. Some even allow 3rd year on electives, the challenge is finding hospitals willing to take anyone below 4th years.

I know he went to AZCOM but if students have trouble with rotation sites at KCOM, could you go your own way if necessary?

Good luck all!

You'll probably enjoy the school during interview day. I remember how excited I was when I was done at KCOM, even though I ended up shopping other schools for another month.

One of the second years I talked to recently said she picked KCOM over an MD school she got into because of the attitudes of the students she met... KCOM students seemed pretty well-adjusted while their MD counterparts seemed sort of miserable. Of course, it's N=1 but that was a pretty bold move on her part. I at least have to agree with her on the morale of KCOM students.

:thumbup: x9000

My MD interview was very "meh". Everybody seemed drained and miserable. Not unpleasant, really, but nowhere near enthusiastic or happy. I was not sold. Not a feature of KCOM or DMU though. Just my exp.

The secondary asks for SAT scores. I took mine a long time ago, anyway to get that score?

The secondary asks for SAT scores. I took mine a long time ago, anyway to get that score?
I took those tests back in 1997. I am going to check the box "not applicable" and explain that my scores are over 15 years old.

Secondary as well.

Should I submit them even though I'm taking my MCAT in August? Money is kinda an issue.

What's your practice mcat score?

No clue. I plan to take an AAMC test this Saturday. Just started actual studying today (yes I've been slacking). I took AAMC #3 many months ago as a gauge and got a 17, but I doubt that's indicative of my current brain.

We can submit LOR with interfolio right? I noticed the email said submitted by your evaluators so wasn't sure...

We can submit LOR with interfolio right? I noticed the email said submitted by your evaluators so wasn't sure...

Yup, you'll be fine. :) I, and many others, used a letter service last year and had no issues.

I am SO excited that I got a secondary from here today! I feel like this year has finally kicked off! I am super excited to be considered at KCOM!