A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just finishing first year here so ask any questions you'd like. I'll write a big comprehensive post in a few weeks that addresses a lot of the common questions. Feel free to ask questions on here or PM me. I know a few of my classmates also monitor this page and will likely be along to answer questions also.

Do you happen to know anyone who is doing Missouri National Gaurd? I am considering joining and in the middle of my application process but I am unsure if one weekend a month requirement will leave me super over extended during my schooling. I welcome responses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
What are some nice areas to live?

What are some nice areas to live?
Totally depends. Single? Married? Kids? Pets? Also, if you're accepted c/o 2018 that sort of question will get a lot of great input if you ask on your class FB page.

Thank you I am married no kids and what made you choose the school if I can ask?

1. I couldnt find the FB page for the new students - any info on that? for 2018. Secondly- I was just accepted to Michigan State MD program and now I have to decide. All my MD friends and peers say MD and likewise all DO proponets say DO! For residency- and the new open residency for allopathic and osteo- do you think it matters which you pick MD or DO or is it mostly down to comlex/usmle scores in the long run?

MSU will cost me an additional year and 25K - i am accepted to the ABLE program so I have to do an additional year before starting med in 2015

Thank you I am married no kids and what made you choose the school if I can ask?

I'm a family man. Married with 2 kids (just had number 2). Between KCOM and the other schools that had accepted me, KCOM blew everyone out of the water in how family friendly the school and environment were. Really I just didn't 'feel it' at NOVA so I crossed that off as soon as I got into KCUMB. SOMA was a great interview but I knew it wasn't for me with their mega primary care emphasis and CHC's. So then when it was down to KCUMB vs KCOM, there were a few things that tipped KCOM in my favor:
1. KCOM is mega family-friendly (my wife and baby came to my interview day w/ me, they have a mother's room for nursing, they have a club for wives [or any significant others] calleed the SAA, he SAA does exercise group w/ babysitting M-F, monthly meetings, service projects, book club, crafting nights, etc.)
2. KCOM has rotation sites in Utah which was a big seller for my wife because even if we don't choose to go there, we at least have the option.
3. KCOM is a great all-around school in a nice small town (super low crime rate).
4. I've got several friends in classes ahead of me who had amazing experiences and shared those with me.

A couple reasons I'm glad I chose KCOM that I didn't realize would be so helpful when I chose it:
1. Ultrasound. I LOVE ultrasound. We do some ultrasound with anatomy the first semester to just get familiar with the machines and look at some of the things we're learning in anatomy, but it starts getting way better as we go through the body systems. For example with GI we learned to look at the liver, gallbladder, and pancreas; looking for masses, stones, abnormalities. Cardio, we learned to measure ejection fraction of the heart, look for valve abnormalities, and do peripheral vascular exams to look for DVT (deep vein thrombosis) in the upper and lower extremeties. Renal we looked at the kidney but all you can really look for there is hydronephrosis caused by a stone (urine backed up into the kidney).
2. No dress code or required lectures. This wasn't that big of a deal to me but I have since found that I do best without going to lecture. Rather I study the material then just listen to lectures at double speed if I feel a need to do so. Dressing up would just be a pain. I like to ride my bike and that would suck even more. I'm grateful to just be able to roll out of bed and come to school if I so desire.
3. One of my favorite things this year has been our use of the HPS labs (the super sophisticated robots). Every week there are times we can sign up to go as a group into a scenario (usually relevant to the body system we're on) that is set up for us. We walk in, start taking a history and treat the patient as if we were the emergency physician. The robot sweats and breathes, has pulses, eyes dilate, and much much more. We've done all sorts of things like needle decompression of a tension pneumothorax (yes you actually stick a needle in its chest), emergency intubation, giving meds for cardiac arrhythmias or severe hypoglycemia. Someone is behind the glass responding as the patient and controlling the scenario as well as providing us with any labs or x-rays we order. I've probable killed half my patients, but it has been an awesome learning experience. Plus it's a nice break from studying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
1. I couldnt find the FB page for the new students - any info on that? for 2018. Secondly- I was just accepted to Michigan State MD program and now I have to decide. All my MD friends and peers say MD and likewise all DO proponets say DO! For residency- and the new open residency for allopathic and osteo- do you think it matters which you pick MD or DO or is it mostly down to comlex/usmle scores in the long run?

MSU will cost me an additional year and 25K - i am accepted to the ABLE program so I have to do an additional year before starting med in 2015
Andrea or someone will likely send you an invite to the page or a link.

The MSU thing is impossible to answer because your priorities are likely different from mine. I don't know your interests in medicine but if you want something crazy competitive (ophtho, rads-onc, derm, etc.) then MD may be your better option. Personally I wanted to get started on school ASAP (i.e. not delaying a year for another school). You have to consider it's not just 25K more. It's also the interest on that 25K as well as a year of lost physician salary. Next thing is money. I HATE debt with a passion and will take on as little as I can while still getting through school and supporting my family. If it's between this school and another that costs the same the decision is harder. If it's between schools that will end up costing more or less, the one that saves me money will have a strong advantage. I wish you luck in your tough decision ahead of you. Definitely not easy but you'll figure out what's right for you.

I'm a family man. Married with 2 kids (just had number 2). Between KCOM and the other schools that had accepted me, KCOM blew everyone out of the water in how family friendly the school and environment were. Really I just didn't 'feel it' at NOVA so I crossed that off as soon as I got into KCUMB. SOMA was a great interview but I knew it wasn't for me with their mega primary care emphasis and CHC's. So then when it was down to KCUMB vs KCOM, there were a few things that tipped KCOM in my favor:
1. KCOM is mega family-friendly (my wife and baby came to my interview day w/ me, they have a mother's room for nursing, they have a club for wives [or any significant others], etc.)
2. KCOM has rotation sites in Utah which was a big seller for my wife because even if we don't choose to go there, we at least have the option.
3. KCOM is a great all-around school in a nice small town (super low crime rate).
4. I've got several friends in classes ahead of me who had amazing experiences and shared those with me.

A couple reasons I'm glad I chose KCOM that I didn't realize would be so helpful when I chose it:
1. Ultrasound. I LOVE ultrasound. We do some ultrasound with anatomy the first semester to just get familiar with the machines and look at some of the things we're learning in anatomy, but it starts getting way better as we go through the body systems. For example with GI we learned to look at the liver, gallbladder, and pancreas; looking for masses, stones, abnormalities. Cardio, we learned to measure ejection fraction of the heart, look for valve abnormalities, and do peripheral vascular exams to look for DVT (deep vein thrombosis) in the upper and lower extremeties. Renal we looked at the kidney but all you can really look for there is hydronephrosis caused by a stone (urine backed up into the kidney).
2. No dress code or required lectures. This wasn't that big of a deal to me but I have since found that I do best without going to lecture. Rather I study the material then just listen to lectures at double speed if I feel a need to do so. Dressing up would just be a pain. I like to ride my bike and that would suck even more. I'm grateful to just be able to roll out of bed and come to school if I so desire.
Thank you for the great information, we are located in NC but my husband will be retiring from the military and I have been looking at schools here and SC. I heard great things about KCOM and the area. I am hoping to visit the school depending on his orders. I appreciate the response and since it is a small town I think my husband would enjoy it since he comes from a very small town. KCOM is def a school I hope to apply to.

I live in Utah and have family here and the prospect of rotation sites at this school is a big +++ for me. I've heard nothing but good things from the school that started the D.O profession!

Reactions: 1 users
And for anyone curious, here's a list of all the rotation sites: http://www.atsu.edu/kcom/clinical_rotations/ Just scroll down to the bottom to see the different locations.

You get to pick where to go (according to availability) when you get accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I'm not sure how this school views multiple MCAT's, but I know most view the highest score. If thats the case, do you think 10/7/10 followed by 10/6/10 would be ok for this school. It seems as if osteopathic schools place more emphasis on the composite scores than individual subscores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any preference for a D.O. letter vs. an M.D. letter? I have an M.D. letter and would like to have a D.O. letter by August. Is it worthwhile to pursue this second letter?

Last edited:
Is there any preference for a D.O. letter vs. an M.D. letter? I have an M.D. letter and would like to have a D.O. letter by August. Is it worthwhile to pursue this second letter?
I saw they accept both but if you have the chance I would get the DO letter

Thanks for the input desdes! I was thinking the same. It really only makes sense :p

Joining the crowd; just received mine as well. Really glad they decided to send it out tonight instead of in the morning. I will be crazy busy for the next 9-10 days.

Just finishing first year here so ask any questions you'd like. I'll write a big comprehensive post in a few weeks that addresses a lot of the common questions. Feel free to ask questions on here or PM me. I know a few of my classmates also monitor this page and will likely be along to answer questions also.
Just got the secondary and am looking through it. For the section labeled "Clinical Health Experience," is it acceptable to copy the information we placed on AACOMAS? Or should I be working on new descriptions for each?

Thanks so much!

Just got the secondary and am looking through it. For the section labeled "Clinical Health Experience," is it acceptable to copy the information we placed on AACOMAS? Or should I be working on new descriptions for each?

Thanks so much!
+1

This is my opinion but I think a lot of it is kind of cut paste besides the essays of course. Congrats everyone! This is so exciting!!

"Have you ever had disciplinary action taken against you by any professional society or professional association?"
Does this include school disciplinary action??

Uh oh, the Clinical Health Experiences section only has 4 blank boxes that I can fill in. I've shadowed 6 different physicians and I've been volunteering at an emergency department for a while. I don't want to leave anything out but it is all listed on the primary application. Should I just choose the ones that I have the most hours invested in?

PS Here are the essay prompts.

Have you applied to KCOM previously? Yes No
If yes, previous application year(s) and detail below what has changed since your last application.

What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM?(Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

What specific experience/exposure have you had with osteopathic medicine? How has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician?(Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

Uh oh, the Clinical Health Experiences section only has 4 blank boxes that I can fill in. I've shadowed 6 different physicians and I've been volunteering at an emergency department for a while. I don't want to leave anything out but it is all listed on the primary application. Should I just choose the ones that I have the most hours invested in?

That's what I did. I had over 4 as well.

Does anyone know how many letters we can send in? I am confused about this. I want to send in my D.O. letter because, well, its D.O. However, I want to also send in 2 extra letters. Are we allowed to send in four letters?

Does anyone know how many letters we can send in? I am confused about this. I want to send in my D.O. letter because, well, its D.O. However, I want to also send in 2 extra letters. Are we allowed to send in four letters?

+1

Thanks so much!
I did a lot of copy paste initially but I believe I actually did some editing to a few that I wanted to clarify more. Don't worry copy and paste is acceptable for much of it.

"Have you ever had disciplinary action taken against you by any professional society or professional association?"
Does this include school disciplinary action??
No idea. Perhaps call the school to find out exactly what it means.

I think it asks you to list two letter writers. I listed my committee letter writer and the D.O. I shadowed, but my premed committee sent all of my letters nonetheless and there were 8 of them. (Committee, 2 science profs, non science prof, MD, DO, DO, volunteer) I think you're just choosing the two that are most important to you that they look at.

I think it asks you to list two letter writers. I listed my committee letter writer and the D.O. I shadowed, but my premed committee sent all of my letters nonetheless and there were 8 of them. (Committee, 2 science profs, non science prof, MD, DO, DO, volunteer) I think you're just choosing the two that are most important to you that they look at.
Can you get an interview invite before the two letters of recommendation are submitted? I am planning on sending 6 and was planning on listing the premed advisor and the DO on my application. However, the advisor's recommendation won't be ready until the end of July or August (while all of my others are ready to be sent now).

Can you get an interview invite before the two letters of recommendation are submitted? I am planning on sending 6 and was planning on listing the premed advisor and the DO on my application. However, the advisor's recommendation won't be ready until the end of July or August (while all of my others are ready to be sent now).
Pretty sure KCOM will not look at your application until it's complete. Either way, July/August is still early. You should be fine.

Does KCOM send you a email after they get the primary?

Submitted my secondary! I wonder how early they start giving out interview invites :O

Submitted my secondary! I wonder how early they start giving out interview invites :O
I looked through last year's thread! It seems like the last week in July was the earliest interview invites were sent out.

Anyone else all the way from NY applying here?

Pretty sure KCOM will not look at your application until it's complete. Either way, July/August is still early. You should be fine.
You think it would be better to just submit secondary and wait on LOR rather than LOR then submit?

Submit ASAP if you're ready. They process your secondary and it takes time. LORs and MCAT scores will automatically be updated on your application, so there's no need to wait. I talked to admissions usually the first interview invites are July 15-July 20th. :)

Applying here OOS from jersey. Good luck friends!!

On another note, this may be a dumb question but I just wanted to double check. As for the secondary with the "evaluations" part. As long as the evaluations were sent in via interfolio is that considered completed. Or will Kirksville send the listed writers an additional own personal form/letter to fill out which they'll have to mail back to Missouri. I'm assuming its the former but you never know with some of these schools and I just wanted to be able to warn my letter writers in advance if need be.

Thanks in advance!

I sent in my letters via interfolio and called them last week and they said they had everything; just needed my MCAT score which is posting in 2 weeks. Then they decide on an interview. So, yeah, that's all you need to do it seems.