A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed here today. Very nice faculty and admissions staff. They did let us know that we are essentially interviewing to be on the waitlist at this point, but that they have a history of seeing a lot of movement (about 50 seats or so) throughout their whole cycle. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

II just received, will be turning it down. Hope it goes to one of you still waiting!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking into housing here. Any areas that I should avoid? if anyone is willing, I'll pm the specific places so someone who lives/has lived in Kirksville can tell me if I proceed or not. Trying not to end up in the ghetto.

I might have a shot at student housing, but it seems like some places are marginally cheaper and bigger if you just want to live a mile or two away.
You can let me know where you are thinking if you want. I live here but there are not really many bad places in Kirksville.

I am starting at KCOM in July and am looking for some advice from a current(/previous) student. I am in a wedding that is the Friday of our first week of class (July 21) and am already worried about missing at least one day during the first week. Could anyone provide some insight about what the first week/weekend look like?? Thanks so much!

I am starting at KCOM in July and am looking for some advice from a current(/previous) student. I am in a wedding that is the Friday of our first week of class (July 21) and am already worried about missing at least one day during the first week. Could anyone provide some insight about what the first week/weekend look like?? Thanks so much!

The only thing I would caution you is required ultrasound lab was on Friday this year and you do not get opportunity to make up points. It is only 2 points which isn't a big deal so you won't really be super behind or anything. There isnt anatomy lab the first week so you should be good on that. The first week isn't that bad especially in retrospect so it shouldn't be a problem.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
The only thing I would caution you is required ultrasound lab was on Friday this year and you do not get opportunity to make up points. It is only 2 points which isn't a big deal so you won't really be super behind or anything. There isnt anatomy lab the first week so you should be good on that. The first week isn't that bad especially in retrospect so it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks so much. I'm sure the schedule varies every year, but any insight into whether it'd be feasible for me to miss Thursday too? Just realizing that the rehearsal will be that evening and I'm a seven hour drive away! Don't want to let a friend down but also can't start off the year already behind.

Thanks so much. I'm sure the schedule varies every year, but any insight into whether it'd be feasible for me to miss Thursday too? Just realizing that the rehearsal will be that evening and I'm a seven hour drive away! Don't want to let a friend down but also can't start off the year already behind.
I would wait to see what the schedule will be like or try to email to find out. We had several introduction lab stuff on Thursday that was required. You definitely wont be that behind though. Most people are still trying to get settled into Kirksville that first weekend so it really isn't a huge deal. You can also always bring your stuff with you to study.

First year here. During orientation they make it pretty clear that they realize life happens and are willing to work with you for weddings, family events etc. I wouldn't sweat it too much and honestly, if you're going to miss any class in med school, the first week would be the best time to do it. Just make sure you email them ahead of time because you do have to get the missed classes approved.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry for the late reply, but ATSU-KCOM is pretty big on research if that's something you're really looking for in a school.
It's the oldest DO school and has a really extensive alumni network because of it. They really try to get the students involved within the community and also have a support group for spouses and significant others! They have great board scores, good residency matches, and they have a gorgeous state park pretty close to campus!

are you a current student!? QUESTION: does KCOM have a pass-fail policy for grading?

Got my "accepted pending seat" email yesterday! Good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
are you a current student!? QUESTION: does KCOM have a pass-fail policy for grading?

I am a current student and we have mainly graded classes. There are a few classes that are pass fail but the majority give you a percentage at the end of the semester.

Got my "accepted pending" letter two days ago as well! Good luck to everyone! Interviewed 2/10

Would anyone mind sharing what this school's grading system is like? (P/F, A-F or whatever) & also, does anyone knows if they rank the students
for most of our classes, we receive grades in percentages. these are used to calculate our gpa (weighted by credit hours), which determines our class rank by quartiles. some of our "smaller" classes are just pass/ fail.

Accepted pending a seat on Friday! Interviewed 02/27

Is KCOM still conducting interviews? I received this E-mail a month ago and haven't heard back since..

"The Admissions Screening Committee recently reviewed your application materials. At this time, the Committee has placed your file on hold. Your application may be reviewed again at a later date for future consideration."

Should I just expect this to be a rejection at this point??

anyone waiting to be added to the face book group? im still accepted pending but kinda of want to be prepared and see whats going on and they just havent added me

IMG_6152.PNG
IMG_6161.PNG
Hello! I am looking for someone to sublet my duplex in a kirksville. $600/month for a 2BR 1BA. I am willing to pay the $600 security deposit for you. The property is just down the street from the school (less than 1 mile). Please reply to this post if you're interested and I will provide more pictures!

anyone waiting to be added to the face book group? im still accepted pending but kinda of want to be prepared and see whats going on and they just havent added me

Have you requested to join? Usually if you do an admin will accept it

Any current/former students who can comment on what worked well for them for note taking? Did you use your laptop a lot, or mostly just the iPad? Any good apps you would recommend? Also do most stream when possible, or did you find it worthwhile to attend lectures? Thanks in advance

Any current/former students who can comment on what worked well for them for note taking? Did you use your laptop a lot, or mostly just the iPad? Any good apps you would recommend? Also do most stream when possible, or did you find it worthwhile to attend lectures? Thanks in advance

I use both iPad and laptop for notes. Notability is the best note taking app out there for apple products and bonus if you have a mac laptop also because they sync together and if you have an iPhone it also syncs to that so you have your notes all the time. I do not attend lectures and more often than not I don't even watch them online. It really depends on how you learn but it will also change as time goes on. Certain classes only have power points and you have to watch lecture so you can narrow down the 80 slides to what you need to know more specifically. If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me

I was accepted pending a seat as of 02/02. I interviewed back in January. This school is my first choice, and I am keeping my fingers crossed to be pulled off the waitlist for this year!!

I use both iPad and laptop for notes. Notability is the best note taking app out there for apple products and bonus if you have a mac laptop also because they sync together and if you have an iPhone it also syncs to that so you have your notes all the time. I do not attend lectures and more often than not I don't even watch them online. It really depends on how you learn but it will also change as time goes on. Certain classes only have power points and you have to watch lecture so you can narrow down the 80 slides to what you need to know more specifically. If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me

Can you (or any other students) describe how anatomy works at this school? Do you guys go in the traditional order of 1. back, 2. upper extremity 3. lower extremity 4. thorax?

Can you (or any other students) describe how anatomy works at this school? Do you guys go in the traditional order of 1. back, 2. upper extremity 3. lower extremity 4. thorax?
Yes that is how we did it! We have a ton of lab the first semester and then second semester is drastically tapers off. First semester we go through back, upper and lower extremities, head and neck. This semester we have done the abdomen and mediastinum and will finish with pelvis and perineum. 27 labs the first semester and 12 the second. You can PM me if you have other questions about KCOM

whens the next deposit due? really just wondering when people with accepted pending could possibly see some big movement on the list.

Got Accepted Pending Seat Notice on Friday!! :soexcited:Interviewed 3/17

Good Luck Everyone! Hope I get off the pending seat list this year.

Is KCOM still conducting interviews? I received this E-mail a month ago and haven't heard back since..

"The Admissions Screening Committee recently reviewed your application materials. At this time, the Committee has placed your file on hold. Your application may be reviewed again at a later date for future consideration."

Should I just expect this to be a rejection at this point??
I received a similar email back in January and haven't heard from KCOM since. I called today to inquire and the person I spoke with stated that I am still under consideration. They may conduct interviews all the way up to July if needed.

I received a similar email back in January and haven't heard from KCOM since. I called today to inquire and the person I spoke with stated that I am still under consideration. They may conduct interviews all the way up to July if needed.

I spoke with Mike Lee on the phone a couple weeks ago and he told me interview season "is most likely complete at this time." He said it is unlikely that they will conduct more but they might add some dates if enough people give up their seats over the next month or so. I would call and ask to speak to Mike directly :) he's very honest and helpful.

Just got accepted off the pending seat list! I'll see you all in July! :)

Last edited:
Just got accepted off the pending seat list! I'll see you all in July! :)

When did you interview/get on the wait-list? If you don't mind me asking. I'm on the pending seat list now still biting my nails lol.

Hey Guys!

I received a pending approved seat but as of right now I'm not sure if I will be able to attend this year (if I was to be given a seat for this year). Does anyone know the policy at KCOM for deferring a year? Not sure if I should email the admissions committee and ask to defer until next year? I've read online that KCOM doesn't allow deferring for a year and other sources say they do. However, it may be that the people in the scholars program cannot defer but general admissions can. If anyone can provide some advice that would be great! Thanks :)

Anyone accepted that's on the fence bc I'm high on the pending acceptance list and would really like to go......