A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted!!!!! So freaking excited! I'm not kidding I had just called my bank and let them know I'm about to put a $1500 deposit down on another school I was accepted to and they called just before I was about to pay! So lucky haha.

Interviewed 10/3. LM= 63-64

Congrats! Are you not putting down the deposit for the other school anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

ACCEPTED! Megan called me and left a message and I proceeded to freak out for about half an hour, and when she told me I was accepted my voice totally cracked, haha. :soexcited: I'm over the moon happy, I loved KCOM!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! Are you not putting down the deposit for the other school anymore?

Nope. I was accepted to CUSOM and KCOM is my in-state school so I will withdraw my acceptance from CUSOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who calls if you're accepted?

I will again offer for those of you how have questions about the school or anything like that I am a first year so feel free to shoot me a message.

Just got a call for an interview - they had a slot open up for this Friday! Thought I'd have a month to prep, here goes nothing!

Reactions: 1 user
Just got a call for an interview - they had a slot open up for this Friday! Thought I'd have a month to prep, here goes nothing!
Congrats! But a month to prep? lol. I just look over my app, SND threads, and the schools website the night before.

Congrats to all the recently accepted!

Hey everyone! I got an email this morning from admissions saying that they wanted me to complete 40 additional hours of clinical experience by November/December and that students granted an interview have a minimum of 100 hours. With shadowing and hospital volunteering, I have roughly 120 hours.

HOWEVER, I recently completely tore my right Achilles and had surgery on September 7th, so getting these 40 hours will be tough since I don't really have all that much mobility. What should I do?

Hey everyone! I got an email this morning from admissions saying that they wanted me to complete 40 additional hours of clinical experience by November/December and that students granted an interview have a minimum of 100 hours. With shadowing and hospital volunteering, I have roughly 120 hours.

HOWEVER, I recently completely tore my right Achilles and had surgery on September 7th, so getting these 40 hours will be tough since I don't really have all that much mobility. What should I do?

Do you have a pair of crutches? You could be pretty mobile and not have much of a problem shadowing anyone if you do!

Does anybody happen to know KCOM's interview to acceptance ratio? Like, how many people do they typically accept out of everyone they interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I see people writing about SAT/ACT scores. They never asked for mine in the AACOMAS app or the secondary. Am I missing something?

Just got an email stating that they are excited about my chances of procuring an interview. What does that mean? Anyone else get this

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Just got an email stating that they are excited about my chances of procuring an interview. What does that mean? Anyone else get this

yes i just got this too. Idk if everyone gets it or not

Yeah I called them and they said to disregard it smdh. The adcom said it was an automated email that wasn't supposed to be sent out

IDU this school and telling current applicants to get "X more hours of shadowing or clinical experience"

How TF does that make a difference in any way, shape, or form?!

Just my opinion, but I have learned more about medicine in my clinical experience than anywhere else, so I might agree that it's important. Such a variety of cases, people, personalities etc can't be seen in just a few days of observation/shadowing/clinical work.

Many may disagree though. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

IDU this school and telling current applicants to get "X more hours of shadowing or clinical experience"

How TF does that make a difference in any way, shape, or form?!
As a current student I attest to the fact my clinical experience has put me way ahead of my peers. I had 2000 clinical hours and I will tell you that my colleagues have no idea what is coming to them when we do actual clinical rotations. They think patient experiences are scary and they get extremely nervous also they dont really have the background of the pecking order of a hospital. I think the more clinical experience you have the better you will be and by clinical I mean if you get the chance to put your hands on/ talk to a patient you need to do it.

Just my opinion, but I have learned more about medicine in my clinical experience than anywhere else, so I might agree that it's important. Such a variety of cases, people, personalities etc can't be seen in just a few days of observation/shadowing/clinical work.

Many may disagree though. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
As a current student I attest to the fact my clinical experience has put me way ahead of my peers. I had 2000 clinical hours and I will tell you that my colleagues have no idea what is coming to them when we do actual clinical rotations. They think patient experiences are scary and they get extremely nervous also they dont really have the background of the pecking order of a hospital. I think the more clinical experience you have the better you will be and by clinical I mean if you get the chance to put your hands on/ talk to a patient you need to do it.

I agree clinical experience is important.

What I mean is that everything is already written- PS, secondaries, apps etc.

What do they honestly think another 40 hours on top of 100+ hours is really going to do for the applicant at this point?

I would argue that the TYPE of clinical experience is what matters. Going to get 40 more hours of shadowing is garbage (which is what they've asked the applicant above to do). It literally does nothing for you. If you've already done 50+ hours you'll get nothing out of it. It just becomes some made-up threshold the school will try to hold applicants to in the future. Shadowing 40 more hours isn't going to make you more or less committed to medicine as a career and it DEFINITELY will not make you stronger in your clinical rotations or SPs. This is nothing more than the school padding statistics IMO. Shadowing is useful only to get a taste of medicine. After that it's about as useful as, although less exciting than, watching Grey's Anatomy.

I would argue that the TYPE of clinical experience is what matters. Going to get 40 more hours of shadowing is garbage (which is what they've asked the applicant above to do). It literally does nothing for you. If you've already done 50+ hours you'll get nothing out of it. It just becomes some made-up threshold the school will try to hold applicants to in the future. Shadowing 40 more hours isn't going to make you more or less committed to medicine as a career and it DEFINITELY will not make you stronger in your clinical rotations or SPs. This is nothing more than the school padding statistics IMO. Shadowing is useful only to get a taste of medicine. After that it's about as useful as, although less exciting than, watching Grey's Anatomy.
Oh I absolutely agree. I guess I misunderstood. I thought they were asking for more clinical (non-shadowing). Yes shadowing will only do so much for you. I think actual patient contact will make you stronger as a student but shadowing really is more for seeing what a doctor does on a daily basis and that is about it.

Here's the thing... It doesn't matter what we think about this requirement at all. There are hundreds of other applicants that will not thinking twice about doing exactly what they ask. If you don't want to do the shadowing, just let them know so the next applicant can have the chance. Also, I believe there will be many instances in a medical student's life where they will be asked to do something that benefits their education/training in no way what so ever.

Yeah I called them and they said to disregard it smdh. The adcom said it was an automated email that wasn't supposed to be sent out
Okay now I'm super freaking out because I didn't even get that mass email....

Reactions: 2 users
Okay now I'm super freaking out because I didn't even get that mass email....
Don't freak the way the office made it seem like it has nothing to do with an II

Here's the thing... It doesn't matter what we think about this requirement at all. There are hundreds of other applicants that will not thinking twice about doing exactly what they ask. If you don't want to do the shadowing, just let them know so the next applicant can have the chance. Also, I believe there will be many instances in a medical student's life where they will be asked to do something that benefits their education/training in no way what so ever.
Oh you couldn't be more right. Doesn't mean people cannot state that it's stupid.

Just cancelled my interview on 11/4 if someone is looking for an earlier date! Best of luck to everyone.

Congrats! But a month to prep? lol. I just look over my app, SND threads, and the schools website the night before.

Interview went great. A.T. Still peeps were very friendly, nice campus, good anatomy lab (cadaver to student ratio) and loved that they are integrating ultrasound into their core curriculum. Now the waiting game begins again.

II around 5pm today, woohooo. I'm way below the average student in stats, but non-trad with upward trend. I can't see the "calendar" for interview right now, but hopefully it'll appear later! What's the earliest on the calendar? Any November dates?

II around 5pm today, woohooo. I'm way below the average student in stats, but non-trad with upward trend. I can't see the "calendar" for interview right now, but hopefully it'll appear later! What's the earliest on the calendar? Any November dates?
When did you complete your secondary?

They're playing with my heart right now. Anyone have miscommunication from this school? I'll update once they get back to me about what's happening with my interview.

Last edited:
Alright, well, I got an email from Donna that I can schedule an interview at KCOM, but the reason my calendar wasn't there was because the interview tab was in the SOMA tab? I scheduled a date for SOMA, but emailed admissions to make sure. Strange huh?

*edit: Got my answer guys. Strange indeed.

"
Popopopop,

Hello. The invitation should be for SOMA in Arizona. It looks like you have gotten your interview scheduled. I have forward this issue on to the director to see why the invitation sent had KCOM information.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Take care and have a terrific Tuesday!

Sincerely,
"

Last edited:
II today. Anyone interviewing 10/24?

Sorry to be that guy but when were you complete???
LOL No worries! Complete about a week ago. Turned in secondary months ago, but it took forever to get my LORs.

II just a few minutes ago. Complete 8/24 I believe.

Anyone interviewing tomorrow and interested in meeting for dinner tonight?

Interviewing here 11/4 got the invite back at the end of August pretty excited to check this school out!

Accepted! Just got the call this morning. For those interviewing soon, good luck!!!