A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. Very supportive environment and are very genuine. I never felt like a hassle or a set of statistics to them.
2. I LOVE that they have incorporated ultrasound courses into their first two years. I can tell you from working in medicine already, that ultrasound applications are going to be a MUST for future physicians.
3. Good student to cadaver ratio and nice patient simulator labs.
Dislikes:
1. The housing that is available in Kirksville and the one lane highways if you're driving in from KC. But don't really have any dislikes about the actual program.
Any student housing?

Members don't see this ad.

Any student housing?

There are student apartments right across the street owned by ATSU and there are a ton of other apartments right across the street too. Most people live in walking distance or a less than 5 minute drive

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete September 26th and I still haven't heard anything. Does Kirksvillle send rejection emails?

Interviewed yesterday and I really feel great about how it went
Does anyone know the acceptance rate after interview

Any student housing?

Yes there is student housing. I'd recommend it if you are content with a pretty simple apartment, nothing luxurious. It's cheap and a 2 minute walk to class. Biggest drawback in my opinion is community laundry rooms, you don't get your own washer/dryer.

Also if anyone is driving from KC, here's a tip: the GPS will likely direct you to MO-11 from US-36 East, but I highly suggest staying on US-36 East until you reach Macon, MO and then going north on US-63. It is the same time (even though the mileage is slightly longer) but you avoid one-lane roads and I think it's much more efficient.

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed yesterday and I really feel great about how it went
Does anyone know the acceptance rate after interview
I know someone in admissions at this school, and I can assure you that the acceptance rate is over 50 percent. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got the rejection email. Complete 9/2
cGPA: 3.34 sGPA: 3.17 MCAT: 511

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too! Haha

I don't think they necessarily go in exact order (someone with more knowledge may correct me). I interviewed on November 7 and was accepted three days later. If it was totally chronological I would expect that DOCzilla would have gotten accepted before me.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think they necessarily go in exact order (someone with more knowledge may correct me). I interviewed on November 7 and was accepted three days later. If it was totally chronological I would expect that DOCzilla would have gotten accepted before me.
Soooooooo..... because I interviewed on October 31st, I should brace for bad news? :(

Soooooooo..... because I interviewed on October 31st, I should brace for bad news? :(

I would caution you from reading that much into my post! Like I said, I have no inside scoop on how they go through apps post interview, but it seems like it might not be totally chronological based on some of the posts I've seen + my own experience. It's only been a few weeks for you..I wouldn't give up!

I interviewed on 11/2 and got the acceptance call 4 days later. I still haven't received any mail or email. Should I worry since the deposit date is on 12/4? Please let me know and thank you

I interviewed on 11/2 and got the acceptance call 4 days later. I still haven't received any mail or email. Should I worry since the deposit date is on 12/4? Please let me know and thank you
They told me the deposit date was 12/14.
Regardless, it's coming up. If I was you I would just give admissions a call or email to make sure the mail was sent out to you.

i still havent received a secondary, should i call them
i submitted my primary last week (ive been verified already)

i still havent received a secondary, should i call them
i submitted my primary last week (ive been verified already)
I would give it a bit more time. You should be more worried about convincing theM that they are not an MD fall back and that you are not applying only because you have not yet gotten any interviews from any MD schools. Whether that's the case or not that's how they will look at it initially so be prepared to explain why you are just now submitting your primary.

II yesterday. Complete 7/29. I can't wait to see this place after all the positive comments.

I am having a really hard time here. I have acceptances to my two top choices, KCOM and RVU-Co. I'm military so tuition and living expense is not really a factor, but I am married with a baby. Any current students have input that might help with this decision?

As a KCOM student from CO I would say KCOM. Our school has a great community and would probably be more comfortable for your family than Denver. Being in Kirksville means always being within 10 minutes of home no matter where you live and that might be nice in comparison to a big city. It all depends on where you feel more comfortable. If you have any questions feel free to PM me

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Accepted!!!! Interviewed on 10/31, got the call at 3pm on Friday 11/11. SO PUMPED, I loved KCOM!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anybody know if this school is receptable to in the area emails? I'll be interviewing at other schools around that area ealy Feb.

Got the acceptance call this afternoon! I couldn't be happier! This place was amazing!

Reactions: 3 users
got the acceptance packet today!

How long did it take for your acceptance packet to come in? Just wondering.

+1
got the acceptance call on 11/11 but I still haven't received the packet in the mail! I'll probably call tomorrow to make sure it didn't go to a wrong address or something

Just got an email saying that my D.O. LOR wasn't valid because the physician wasn't "practicing in a clinic" (he/she currently works in the field of Pharmacovigilence). The other 24 schools haven't had a problem with it up to this point.

Welp, guess that was a waste of $70. Pretty annoyed. :yeahright::yeahright::yeahright:

does anyone known if they offer more interview dates as they go?
There aren't any available dates past December 19th. :(

II yesterday. I will be declining tomorrow when I get off of work. Hopefully it goes to one of you guys waiting for an invite. Goodluck!

For those accepted at ATSU KCOM and have paid their deposits, has anyone received the school email or the receipt for the deposit? I paid the whole 2K a week before the election and have not heard a word. I am waiting to call until after the first deadline, which is 12/15.

Hey all,

Can anyone speak about the preceptorship after first year? Do we get a 6 wk break + 2 wks for the preceptorship or are the 2 wks built into the 6 wk summer? Also do we have to pay extra for things like housing, fees, etc. for the 2 weeks? thanks.

Hey all,

Can anyone speak about the preceptorship after first year? Do we get a 6 wk break + 2 wks for the preceptorship or are the 2 wks built into the 6 wk summer? Also do we have to pay extra for things like housing, fees, etc. for the 2 weeks? thanks.
2 wks is part of your 6wks. they coveted a hotel for me.

Interviewed last Monday the 21st even though I was sick as a dog. Called and asked the school if I could skip the tour and just come for the interview, went to an urgent care place for some fenergan and toradol to tide me over. It was a bit of a struggle keeping it together for three separate interviews (who else does that??). Apparently all the interviewers knew, hopefully that gives me some sympathy points and they don't hold it against me.

Interviewed last Monday the 21st even though I was sick as a dog. Called and asked the school if I could skip the tour and just come for the interview, went to an urgent care place for some fenergan and toradol to tide me over. It was a bit of a struggle keeping it together for three separate interviews (who else does that??). Apparently all the interviewers knew, hopefully that gives me some sympathy points and they don't hold it against me.
I had laryngitis when I interviewed and had to whisper for all 3 interviews haha. I got in!

For those accepted at ATSU KCOM and have paid their deposits, has anyone received the school email or the receipt for the deposit? I paid the whole 2K a week before the election and have not heard a word. I am waiting to call until after the first deadline, which is 12/15.
I received an email after I put down the first payment.