A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know where the new clinical locations in Kansas are?

Members don't see this ad.

I've read in past posts about pending seats being different than the alternate list, is that still the case?

Members don't see this ad :)
Alternate list, interviewed the 21st. Pretty fast turnaround. Kinda bummed considering I interviewed while suffering from friggin salmonella (seriously). Asked to skip the tour and just do the interviews so I could go to an urgent care and get some meds. Everyone was really nice and accommodating but I guess it affected my interviews enough. Plus asking for accommodations always makes you look bad, no matter how legitimate.
Didn't really understand the point of 3 separate interviews when all of them asked a lot of the same questions.

Is it reassuring or concerning that I interviewed the same day and was told a decision wouldn't be made until 1/20? Unless that's their way of saying I'm on the alternate list also.

Interview 12/5 and received the acceptance call this morning. Loved this school, but have already put my deposit in at another. Withdrawn. Turnaround time was unusually fast.

Reactions: 2 users
Is it reassuring or concerning that I interviewed the same day and was told a decision wouldn't be made until 1/20? Unless that's their way of saying I'm on the alternate list also.
that just makes no damn sense. Though having interviewed on the 21st I thought that was blazing fast turnaround, especially factoring Thanksgiving break.

Interview 12/5 and received the acceptance call this morning. Loved this school, but have already put my deposit in at another. Withdrawn. Turnaround time was unusually fast.
lol thanks for making room for the rest of us

II today! Complete 9/30. 1/6 and 1/9 interview dates open.

Reactions: 1 users
For those accepted, is the first deposit and the background check all we need to have done at this point?

Members don't see this ad :)
Could any current students post what they do in their free time in Kirksville (I know there is barely free time) like whether students go out and do stuff together or what.

I always think it's funny when premeds think this. You will have PLENTY of free time in med school, at least I did. Especially years 1 and 2. Less free time 3rd year and the most free time 4th year. I feel bad for the people who study 24/7 and have no life.

The key in medical school is to learn efficiency. Once you find a routine and get in the groove, you're set. This may take a while to learn but that's OK.

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed 12/9. Hoping they let us know before the break!

Could any current students post what they do in their free time in Kirksville (I know there is barely free time) like whether students go out and do stuff together or what.

I used to live in small town about thirty minutes from Kirksville. I'll give you a no BS assessment. I was still in middle school when I left, so I can't really comment on the nightlife.

There was a saying about life in NEMO: There's nothing to do besides drink, fornicate, and fight. You'll likely have to travel a bit if you want to have fun. Kansas City will probably be your best bet, with Columbia coming in second.

Do you like the outdoors? Great hunting in Knox County. Baring Country Club is just about the only other thing there. It's not exactly known for fishing, but boating and drinking. Lake Thunderhead in Unionville has good fishing.

P.S. How is the community dealing with Hastings closing?! I can't imagine.

Darn. Was hoping to hear today... :( Oh well. Have a good break all!

Does anyone know if KCOM admissions is open at all between the holidays or just after the new year?

Got a family, school was most family friendly. Originally from Utah, school has rotation sites in Utah (though we eventually elected not to go back to Utah for rotations). I turned down acceptances from nova southeastern, SOMA, and KCUMB. I'd say if you get accepted to a school that is significantly cheaper than KCOM, then go there and save yourself the money. Nothing wrong with the school but the education isn't worth significantly more money than the one you'll receive from a school at $30-40K a year.
Is there a reason for not rotating in Utah? I'm from Utah too. Can you say anything toward the quality of rotations in UT?

Is there a reason for not rotating in Utah? I'm from Utah too. Can you say anything toward the quality of rotations in UT?
Quality is very... variable. Also they often drive a lot more and have more inconveniently located rotations. But when it came down to it, I wanted more than just a preceptor based rotation. I wanted the experience of working with residents and having more structure to my learning. I don't regret it in any way. About 1/2 my 3rd year rotations involved residents and 1/2 were preceptor only. I can tell you I learned a LOT more from working with residents where learning is the priority (with the exception of a couple really excellent preceptors). I also think understanding that structure helped me to excel when it came time for my one audition/away/sub-I that I did.

Quality is very... variable. Also they often drive a lot more and have more inconveniently located rotations. But when it came down to it, I wanted more than just a preceptor based rotation. I wanted the experience of working with residents and having more structure to my learning. I don't regret it in any way. About 1/2 my 3rd year rotations involved residents and 1/2 were preceptor only. I can tell you I learned a LOT more from working with residents where learning is the priority (with the exception of a couple really excellent preceptors). I also think understanding that structure helped me to excel when it came time for my one audition/away/sub-I that I did.
Is there a way to know whether a rotation is ward or preceptor based? How did you get it to be about 50/50?

Is there a way to know whether a rotation is ward or preceptor based? How did you get it to be about 50/50?
The rotation site guidebook has all the info you need. You'll get a hard copy with plenty of time to read it before you have to choose.

Reactions: 1 users
Trying to decide whether to attend my interview here or not. I am accepted at KCU-Joplin and waitlisted at WesternU-Pomona. Only thing turning me away from KCU is that they clearly said there are no research opportunities available for students. Can someone provide some insight on the highlights of ATSU-KCOM?

Did my rotations in Utah. It was great. Never really had to commute outside the valley. Wouldn't change a thing. There's a stigma with preceptor rotations.

Did my rotations in Utah. It was great. Never really had to commute outside the valley. Wouldn't change a thing. There's a stigma with preceptor rotations.
Were all your rotations preceptors? Did you feel prepared for residency (working with residents, part of a team, etc.)?

Were all your rotations preceptors? Did you feel prepared for residency (working with residents, part of a team, etc.)?
They were all preceptors. Part of the team thing was a bit new but adjusted fine and I didn't think it was a big issue. I know others have different opinions, however.

I had a number of friends who, over the last 2 years, ended up being stuck doing rotations that were an hour+ away. (Like rotation site in Logan, having to drive to Weber or Davis county for rotations) Perhaps things were more stable there for you?

My best preceptor has been a guy in Utah during an elective of mine. I just know for my personal experience I value the education I got from working with residents, not that it's essential or perfect for everyone.

I had a number of friends who, over the last 2 years, ended up being stuck doing rotations that were an hour+ away. (Like rotation site in Logan, having to drive to Weber or Davis county for rotations) Perhaps things were more stable there for you?

My best preceptor has been a guy in Utah during an elective of mine. I just know for my personal experience I value the education I got from working with residents, not that it's essential or perfect for everyone.
I was in Provo. People in Logan had to sometimes go to Salt Lake for a rotation and people in Salt Lake would be from South Jordan to maybe south of Ogden? Don't know. Provo is the most stable of the three. I did a rotation at Jordan Valley Medical Center in West Jordan but I elected to do that.

Trying to decide whether to attend my interview here or not. I am accepted at KCU-Joplin and waitlisted at WesternU-Pomona. Only thing turning me away from KCU is that they clearly said there are no research opportunities available for students. Can someone provide some insight on the highlights of ATSU-KCOM?
Sorry for the late reply, but ATSU-KCOM is pretty big on research if that's something you're really looking for in a school.
It's the oldest DO school and has a really extensive alumni network because of it. They really try to get the students involved within the community and also have a support group for spouses and significant others! They have great board scores, good residency matches, and they have a gorgeous state park pretty close to campus!

Still haven't gotten a decision on my application, which seems strange. I have sent an email asking for a status update and I got "it's past the initial review".

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Can anyone tell me the name of the housing thats off of first in between Normal and Scott st. It was a newish contemporary looking building, but im not sure if they were condos you have to buy or apartments you can rent. Thanks!!

Also, could anyone experienced with the clinical rotations make a comment? I'm really really interested in emergency medicine and I'm unsure about whether the preceptors will give me enough hospital based experience, etc. or whether this is just a myth. Thank you!

Also, could anyone experienced with the clinical rotations make a comment? I'm really really interested in emergency medicine and I'm unsure about whether the preceptors will give me enough hospital based experience, etc. or whether this is just a myth. Thank you!

Depends on where you go for rotations. You can go to a preceptor based site or not. KCOM has both, so you'll be fine.

Received a status update today via e-mail. Anyone else receive this?

"We wanted to check with you regarding your continued interest in our osteopathic program. Your KCOM application has received an initial review but a final decision has not been reached. If you would like to remain in our active process, you do not need to reply to this email. If you have already committed to a medical school for next year and would like to be removed from our process, please reply to this email and ask us to close your application.

We appreciate your patience as we move through the application cycle!

Donna Sparks, MA
Director, Admissions Processing"

"We wanted to check with you regarding your continued interest in our osteopathic program. Your KCOM application has received an initial review but a final decision has not been reached. If you would like to remain in our active process, you do not need to reply to this email. If you have already committed to a medical school for next year and would like to be removed from our process, please reply to this email and ask us to close your application.

Donna Sparks, MA
Same

Thanks! I was complete 08/09 and haven't received any update since then.
I am from the West Coast, and I heard that the school does not interview a lot of people from the West Coast. Any fellows know if this is true? My mentor graduated from KCOM, and I hope to get some love from KCOM. :)

Donna Sparks, MA

+1

Invite this morning. Hoping they open more interview dates.

Reactions: 4 users