a terrible quarter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreaminOfMD>.<

Addicted Member...;)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

now i'm stressin more than ever. i am not doing too well this quarter to begin with and finals are around the corner (next week). now, to top things off, my father has been hospitalized (heart attack). my mind is just NOT on studying at this point and i think i might end up with 2 c's this quarter. i was initially taking 3 classes (14 units) but i withdrew from one 3 weeks ago b/c i had learned that i was able to get credit for it (i took an equivalent class at the jc and they still made me take the class). i'm getting credit and the W will be taken off my record. now with the two finals approaching, i think i might just get the two c's. i need to help my very stressed out mother with my father's recovery.

will i be forgiven by admissions committees when i apply this summer?

Members don't see this ad.

can you get a withdraw for the quarter citing family health issues?

Ya, I would agree with street. Try to get a complete withdraw to take care of the fam. and finish the classes next quarter. I wish I had done something similar when my mom had a stroke a couple of years back, but I foolishly pushed on and couldn't handle it, I eventually failed a couple of classes and wound up repeating that year, as well as losing my spot in a medical school, ouch. I eventually got back into the swing of things and got accepted this year, so it can be done, hope all goes well with the family.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe that withdrawing from the classes due to family crisis would be more acceptable. Family is more important. My mother passed away two years ago when I was in the middle of my first semester to college, I persisted and achieved a 4.0 through the experience, but I missed being with my mother...I pursued and now have regrets. If I could go back, I would have withdrawn and sat out a semester.

Best wishes.

Yes, withdraw. You can do the classes next quarter when hopefully things will be more under control. Good luck.

I have been accepted, but I I had a quarter like the one this guy is afraid he will have, and I am afraid they will rescind my accpetance. Intellectually, I have already let go of the accpetance, but I'd like to hear what you guys think about what will happen. Also, will this sort of thing finish you for good?

if u can, withdraw from semester. don't sacrifice ur gpa and time w/ ur family. however, if u don't withdraw, having one bad semester won't ruin u. Being a predominantly A/B student, I had one semester where i was doing too much and ended up w/ a D and a C. Still got into med school.

I'm guessing that you can't withdraw since the quarter's almost over. Can you get Incompletes and take a leave for next quarter? That way you could spend time with your family, as you would have only a small amount of coursework to deal with next quarter. Maybe with more time for your current classes, you'll end up with something better than C's.

While you can get into med school with a couple C's on your record, it may make it more difficult to get into some schools.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice.

I have decided to stick with the quarter and finish it...there's only 1 week left (finals week) and there's no point in withdrawing. Besides, if I do, then I will not be able to apply to medical school this summer and I'm not willing to give that up. It's just one more week...I just need to hang in there, do the best I can on my finals while doing the best I can with my family. Then...10 days of spring break!!! What a relief. I can use that time to gather myself together and get the things that I have been putting off done.

Anyhow, thanks for your advice once again...who knows, maybe I'll be able to maintain a B in at least one of my courses. If God is on my side and I get at least ONE interview...perhaps I'll be able to better explain myself then. My GPA will not be affected too harshly. I'll still be *cutting* a 3.5 if I get 2 C's. The stress is very overwhelming at this point but I think if I can overcome this, I'll be able to face alot more that reality brings...

Just take it one day at a time and it'll be alright...

Take care guys :)

Actually, god tends to mind his own business when it comes to premed affairs. What you can do is to study for the finals and ace them so you can get Bs. That way you can get the interviews you want without needing divine intervention.

I had a similar experience my winter quarter of senior year. My dad passed away suddenly in the middle of the quarter and I missed a lot of school for funeral preparations and then from being really sick from only getting about 2 hours of sleep a night for several consecutive days. I did about 14 units of all science courses and pulled 2 A's and 2 B's. I thought I was going to get to 2 C's in Anatomy, but I studied my butt off in the library while suppressing my emotions. I don't know if that was a good thing. But, all my teachers recommended I withdraw and take time to grieve. I was in your situation where I didn't want to do an extra quarter. I didn't want to out of pride and to save money. The only place I got hurt in the whole med-school process was when I took the MCAT in April...that sucked. I'm going to take that test over and apply again. Well, I wish you luck in your endeavors. We can only do our best. And it is possible to escape those C's!

By the way, you don't have to be finished with school this year to apply this summer. You just fill out the classes you're planning to take on the AMCAS application and note that you haven't taken them yet. When you get your grades, you can update that to the schools you applied to. Just FYI, in case you decide you'd rather withdraw or take incompletes for your 2 classes.