A tribute to everyone's avatars (just for fun!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In this picture, she's posing with a plastic Viking hat.

Flava Flav! ...sorry, couldn't resist.

Members don't see this ad.

My picture is of Lucy, my lab-hound mix rescued from the streets of downtown Durham, NC... we adopted her about a year and a half ago. :love:

I made her pose with the bunny ears for an easter card shot (she HATED it)... she always slouches over and her legs sprawl out to the side when she sits, my boyfriend calls it the "Satchel" sit, after the dog in the comic strip Get Fuzzy.

Kodama (white) was found by my friend's poodle in her backyard as a dehydrated, sickly, flea-ridden 5-6 week old kitten. The poodle walked in the house and dropped the little mop at my feet, almost dead. Kodi (Mr fuzzy pants, Fang, cranky pantalones) is now a healthy 18 lb, deaf, odd eyed - one blue one green - man of leisure who enjoys playing fetch, stalking furniture, some couch demolition, etc. Our vet said that the feral mom likely knew he wasn't going to make it so abandoned it to save her litter.

Moko (black) found me one day several holidays ago when I was shopping on 4th street in berkeley. Milo Foundation was doing a pet adoption in front of the George store and as I walked by a little black paw shot out of the bottom cage and hooked my pants. The only thing I said was "I'll take her" :D She's the smaller of the 2, and is so gentle and loving. she's also a climber so we keep her nails longer, so she always walks around the house with her "high heels" clicking on the hardwood floors...

Members don't see this ad :)
I changed my avatar too! This is Pepper, my German Shepard and Corgi mix.

What a great mix! Though I've never had one, I'm a sucker for Corgis.

I love the German Shepard/Corgi cross! Thats hysterical, must of been one adamant Corgi lol

This is my best friend Mya. :love: She was a very sick puppy who no one wanted, except me! She had numerous parasites, megaesophagus, and a severe case of pneumonia when I got her. She could not digest any nomal dog foods and once got down to 3lbs (skin and bones for her body type at the time). Even my vets had eventually given up hope. They quit charging me when I came in (every day) out of pity and I could see it on their faces that they thought I was fighting a battle I couldn't win. We proved them wrong! Now she is 2 1/2 years old, 16lbs, and a healthy happy dog. She is my sunshine! :)

I made her pose with the bunny ears for an easter card shot (she HATED it)... she always slouches over and her legs sprawl out to the side when she sits, my boyfriend calls it the "Satchel" sit, after the dog in the comic strip Get Fuzzy.

my doggie does that too! :D we say she looks like a vulture when she's all hunched over like that hehe.

I love reading all these stories, such cute pictures!
My pic is of my three dogs, Zach, Sammy, and Candy and cat Kittles that currently reside at my parents house. After spending a couple of weeks over Christmas break training them to stay off the couch, I come home one particularly cold day to find them huddled together. . . . on the couch! I couldn't be too mad, cause they looked pretty cute!

I especially love pictures of interspecies love like that of Soccerduck11, and the picture I've long admired of eep29's well matched puppy and cat :love:

I have some great pictures of my dogs hanging out with my goats that I will try and find and post sometime :)

This thread is great, like everyone else I have always wondered about the stories behind the pictures, especially Cookie, Hoodle, LuckyJo, etc! I hope this thread keeps going as everyone changes pictures.

This is my boy Shermanator, he is origionally my bf's rescue kitten- we fell in :love: over little Shermie's neuter (romantic, eh)! He is 4 now, likes long walks on the beach, pina coladas, and he is almost as obsessed with SDN as I am- he always sits in my lap and "reads" the posts with me. I think that he likes to look at all the good looking cats on the avatars- but he especially likes the Caturday threads in the Drs Lounge... if you haven't seen them yet, Shermie says take a look: :laugh:

http://drslounge.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=322128

this is checkers, the ruler of the household and beat-up-er of dogs. he's about 7 years old, and I got him as a 3 mo. kitten from a pumpkin farm. let's just say picking the "most active kitten" in the litter is a recipe for a wild, frequently incorrigible and also gregarious cat.

my buddy loves cuddles, chasing the other cat tye-die, beating up zeus (the 80 pound german shep mix):eek: , dashing madly around the living room, climbing on the "forbidden" table/counters and giving a dirty look until chased off, and he also gives wonderful backrubs...:thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Following Pennymare's suggestion that we keep this going...

bumpity bumpity bump :D

i have yet to decide on what picture i'm going to put up! we have billions of the little terror of a cat, i have some nice ones of the horses i've been fortunate enough to ride, but then i'm thinking i'll put up my dream lizard that i haven't bought yet. as soon as i decide, i'll post a big long story about it :)

Two of my dogs and one of my mom's. They're the angels of the group, so I had to get a pic of them together (Charlie's Angels? Nope, my angels! :)) Ginger is the blonde one, my mom's. Patches is the Beagle mix. Romper is the black one with tan on here face and paws. Those two are mine. They're 14, 13, and 9 years old respectively. They each have stories but are way to long to post them each. :D

ok - i just had to share a pic of our little ones... it is really hard to see, but there are three of them. the calico is marigold - she is a rescue from eight years ago. i met her for the first time after her owner's son doused her in woolite. she came back into the clinic a few months later with a gi block. we found legos, rocks, an army soldier, and a toy tire in her gut. but she survived and has been with us ever since. the maine coone is blake, whom my husband named after william blake (my SO was also an english major the first time around). he is a big baby, and enjoys nothing more than food and kisses. the white one is smudge. he is another rescue - was run over twice! he came home with a broken pelvis, but has recovered nicely and is now a holy terror. we named him smudge, not because that is what he almost became, but because he had a little black smudge on the top of his head that wouldn't go away when washed. somehow he grew out of it though, 'cause you can hardly see it anymore. man, do we love 'em :love:

Attachments

• kitties.jpg
    kitties.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 84
Mine is of Pasha, a now almost 5 y/o german shepherd. She was the first puppy I raised for the Seeing Eye. She is now a dog guide for a blind woman in New Jersey and we are on our 6th (and soon to get #7) seeing eye puppy.

This thread is great, like everyone else I have always wondered about the stories behind the pictures, especially Cookie, Hoodle, LuckyJo, etc! I hope this thread keeps going as everyone changes pictures.

This is my boy Shermanator, he is origionally my bf's rescue kitten- we fell in :love: over little Shermie's neuter (romantic, eh)! He is 4 now, likes long walks on the beach, pina coladas, and he is almost as obsessed with SDN as I am- he always sits in my lap and "reads" the posts with me. I think that he likes to look at all the good looking cats on the avatars- but he especially likes the Caturday threads in the Drs Lounge... if you haven't seen them yet, Shermie says take a look: :laugh:

http://drslounge.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=322128

Your cat is really really cute! It looks like he's smiling at the camera :) And I just spent hours on that Caturday thread...

My avatar is Camilla, a three banded armadillo I worked with at the zoo, getting a bath.

Nothing like the stories of others to make me want to show off my own kitty...

This is Mia. Her story starts with my relocation to Philly to start my journey to vet school. I had just moved, never had a pet that was truly my own (I'd grown up with lots but they all thought my mom was their "mom"). Feeling particularly lonely one evening I started searching on petfinder. I knew what I wanted - young, but not baby, female, spayed, and declawed (my college graduation present was nice new furniture and I didn't want to take any chances). Before the firestorm starts, please know that I wouldn't take a cat to be declawed. However, since there are always some that have already had it done that need homes, I figured adopting one was a reasonable solution. When I saw her picture, I knew she was the one. She wasn't even in a shelter yet - the agency had a waiting list for openings at the shelter and allowed surrendering owners to post. I had to go to the owners' house to meet her which was an adventure into sort of scary parts of south Philly. Because there were so many other cats in the home when I met her, it was really hard to get a sense of her personality. Also, she didn't look at all like the picture - she looked grey and white on petfinder, but was very brown tabby in person. The whole situation felt really ackward (crying owners, etc.), but I trusted my gut and took her home. My alergies went totally nuts after that morning, so I thought I was alergic to her and would have to give her back. Fortunately, by the time the agency called me back the alergies settled down (I think I was alergic to the previous owner's house).

Since she wasn't grey and white, and their really wasn't anything danty about her, I decided she needed a new name. Lilly wasn't doing it, and she needed a fresh start. I asked my dear friend what he thought I should name her, and being a Red Sox fan, he said "Nomar". I think he missed the whole "she's a she" part! But, it got me thinking... She did love to play soccer with her toys, so "Mia" seemed a logical build on Scott's advice of "Nomar".

That's the story of Mia! I've had her for almost 3 years now. She's a little bratty, but I think it gives her good personality:)

This is Miles. I know I'm being so original with a kitty avatar, but I figured my first one better be of him since I am posting under his name hehe.

I am really more of a "dog person" (not that I have anything agaisnt cats...) but I don't have enough time or consistency in my schedule right now to get a puppy.

He is just over 6 months and acts like a dog. He chases his tale and plays fetch, he's a huge goofball and I couldn't be happier.

This is why I've decided I can't possibly leave him behind next year, he's coming to Scotland with me :)

Okay, here's another of my beloved kitty-cats! In this case Frederika, who is one of my family cats, and lives 800km away from me, with my folks in Melbourne. Whenever I speak to my dad on the phone Frederika jumps on his lap so I have a chat to her too :love:

although my avatar is an autographed picture of Paul McCartney holding a gun, which i think is HILARIOUS, i have two cats- Timlin and Wildebeest. Timlin named after the great Red Sox middle-reliever, and Wildebeest..well because she's not the prettiest tortie in the world. but the personality makes up for it. I also have a Golden named Indiana (yes, after the movie.) i don't have a pic small enough to upload though, sorry!

This is my wookie, Chew'bob'cca. (yes I said wookie, he sounds exactly like Chewbacca :laugh: ) He's such a ham...he does tricks (high five, ten, down, etc), is very, very food driven (he'll maul ya for a donut!) and is terrified of small creepy crawly things (ants, spiders). Adopted him from a client at work who didn't have the time to care for him.

Oh, and he's obssessed with jewelry... has his own box of collars and "Kitty Bling".

Hi, I thought I'd post here to share a picture of my kitty Bridget (aka Bagel -- don't ask why -- we just started calling her that). :) We think of Bridget as having a bit of an evil personality because she's really smart and a little standoffish. So consequently, we thought this picture captured her essence. She's also a little nutty and prone to running in circles, so the freaked out look in her eyes fits too. :)

Oh yeah, editing to share her story, which isn't that interesting. I got her at the city animal shelter when she was supposedly 1. She hadn't been spayed yet, but she can't hunt at all -- she cannot kill a fly -- so I think someone had to have been feeding her. It's a bit of a mystery, though. All my cats were adopted as adults, so I've never had a kitten. :(

Mine is of my oldest boy Turner. I can never get a decent photo of him because he always wants to be up close to help me out with any- and everything. He picked me out 10 years ago at a no-kill shelter I volunteered at and thinks he's a dog :)

That's the problem with one of our other cats. He'll always come to you when you're trying to take his picture. We call him our little dog, too, because he comes when you call and just wants to be around people and cuddle with them all day.

I'm also enjoying seeing all the animal pics. You vet people have some interesting pets. :)

This is Ozzie. He is the coolest cat in the entire world. You can see his favorite position to sleep in. About 2 years ago, during hurricane Wilma my roommates and I kept hearing a little kitten crying but never found one. Then one night right after the hurricane I was walking down the stairs to my car and heard him crying and he ran right over to me. He was an ugly, skinny kitten and I took him in for the night. I didn't intend on keeping him especially because the apartment complex I lived in at the time didn't allow animals. But I had to keep him for a few weeks because when I had him fiv/felv tested he came back a slight positive for fiv. So over the next few weeks while I waited to test him again I fell in love. He turned out to be negative and at that point I couldn't give him up. Now he is my big fluffy teddy bear.

Mine is of Pasha, a now almost 5 y/o german shepherd. She was the first puppy I raised for the Seeing Eye. She is now a dog guide for a blind woman in New Jersey and we are on our 6th (and soon to get #7) seeing eye puppy.

thats very cool! i always wondered about your dog pic.

Well, this thread inspired me to add an avatar because I love to show off my kitties. Their names are Mojomo (white and grey) and Bijou. I've had Mo for about 2.5 years now. I picked him out at a shelter. . . or rather he picked me out. Bijou came along last summer. She was rescued by a client that comes into the vet I work for. While taking care of her I fell for her but I didn't know how she would get along with Mo. So I decided I'd bring her home and try it out and see. Well, it took all of about 20 minutes for the two to become best friends to the point where I'm just some human that they put up with. But I couldn't be happier that Mo now has someone to play with (even though it's usually all through the middle of the night, scaring me half to death being roused from a deep sleep, trampled under a stampede of crazy cats).

Ooo! Tiddlywinks, I LOVE your armadillo! We had a three banded armadillo at the zoo I worked at too, and they are fun and cute little beasts!

Love all the stories! *resists urge to change avatar to one of the pets* :)

Ceska that is a great new picture of your cat!

(continued from other thread)

Thanks Holly! :D We were being super mean to the poor boy that day... his "hat" is one of those ice cream dishes from a baseball game with the team logo on it, it just happened to be a Shermie-sized "helmet" (the $6 ice cream was totally worth it for the torture factor).

I forgot to mention Sherman's other favorite hobby besides sitting on my lap "reading" SDN: it started the first winter we moved to Colorado from Arizona- he loves to burrow under the covers on the bed, we call him "The Lump." Sometimes I'll make the bed without noticing where he is... then I get a very angry sleepy orange cat glaring at me with squinty eyes. :laugh:

This is Noelani, one of my four dogs. She was a pound puppy we rescued about 5 years ago. She's a Certified Therapy Dog and loves to visit senior centers and libraries. She's also proven to be quite a medical challenge and is currently in remission from both lupus and multi-centric parathyroid carcinoma. Oh, and she loves ice cream cones!

Critterfixer,

your pooch is beautiful!

I think Sherman looks ready to take part in a rap-battle. And how cool are Bridget's death ray eyes!!!

I think Sherman looks ready to take part in a rap-battle. And how cool are Bridget's death ray eyes!!!

LOL, we'll start an all SDN pet rap group, starring Pepper (K9<3er's dog) w/ the Flava Flav viking hat (all we need is a big clock necklace), and Sherman "Skat Cat" spinning the records(an actual nickname of his, I'm sure that totally dates me with some people in this forum).

Anyone else want fame and fortune for their pet? It could help pay for vet school! :laugh:

This is my hedgehog, huma huma. My sister got her for me for xmas freshman year as my "college pet" b/c I missed our animals so much. She's named after the state fish of hawaii because its fun to say. She loves turkey and my closet. Sometimes I with I had a spiky blanket I could pull over my head :cool:

Here are my guys. i can't get the avatar to work. Henry is the handsome dark pup. He's 4 and a rescue from the SPCA. We think he's a maltipoo. (Who says you have to go to a breeder for designer dogs?)

The handsome red and white boy is Preston, a 3.5 yo miniature dachshund. He's piebald for those of you who haven't seen one before ;). His whole tummy is white and he has socks and a partially white tail. He's cute even when he's vomiting all over the place, which is a lot.

Attachments

• pnh.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 85
Here are my guys. i can't get the avatar to work. Henry is the handsome dark pup. He's 4 and a rescue from the SPCA. We think he's a maltipoo. (Who says you have to go to a breeder for designer dogs?)

The handsome red and white boy is Preston, a 3.5 yo miniature dachshund. He's piebald for those of you who haven't seen one before ;). His whole tummy is white and he has socks and a partially white tail. He's cute even when he's vomiting all over the place, which is a lot.

Both handsome boys! I've never seen a piebald dachshund before.

Well, this is my first post, but this seems as good a thread as any to begin with. :)

<---This is Reuben, my Thoroughbred ex-racehorse. He was my first horse, and he's my inspiration for this whole "vet thing!" (I'm a teacher in my early twenties, but I've been shadowing and working with vets for awhile and have a plan to return to school in a year or two, when I have residency and a little more $$.)

Reuben was a fabulous horse. We did dressage together, but he was becoming a good trail horse, too, and he came to the University campus when I was in school to recruit for the equestrian team. At the end of 2005, he suffered a suspensory injury in a foreleg and developed what looked like ordinary "scratches" on his white legs. From there, things went downhill. To make a very long story short, after a stay in the hospital and many vet calls and biopsies and so on, it became clear that he had autoimmune issues (leukocytoclastic vasculitis and systemic granulomatous disease). We tried everything, including experimental treatments when ordinary ones didn't do enough, but I had to have him put him down four months ago, after a full year of fighting. He was nine years old. :(

I love this picture of him. He's getting very thin, and his coat is showing the effects of his illness, but that expression is soooo Reuben. (I have another picture of him that I'd use if I had it on my computer...of Reuben rolling that white eye and sticking out his tongue--that's ALSO "sooo Reuben!" :D

Sorry for the novel. I've lurked on these forums for quite awhile, and I decided it was finally time to come out of hiding.

smhrd, sorry about your loss of Rueben. He sounds like a great horse.

This is my two-headed cat. :cool:

twoheaded2.jpg

This is Angelo. He's a chocolate point Birman that I got for my sister when he was 9 months old. His nickname is Pook.

Attachments

• sitting pook_edited.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 85
<---- a snowy owl that came for a visit last year.

thought it time for a change. obviously, i'm working really hard today...

*i will not look at the boards until i get home tonight, will not, will not, will not*