A tribute to everyone's avatars (just for fun!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I dunno how small the pic will be on the avatar, so I'll post a bigger version. This is a shot I actually just took of my pooch, Chelsea. She's an 11-year-old Chocolate Cocker Spaniel. She's got her own way of doing things, whether I like it or not, which cracks me up so much it's hard to stay mad at her for the few things she likes to do that annoy me.

She'll be 12 on May 27.

chelsea1smaller.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Two headed cat is adorable :)

My new avatar is Frederika, Wilbur, Rumby and Muffie, lined up on our ironing board :)

Sadly Wilbur is missing and Muffie has gone to the Rainbow Bridge, but I love this picture which reminds me of the glory days of our family cats

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't remember if I knew what was going on with Sonny when I made him my avatar, but in light of what he went through over the past few weeks, I wanted to share, because he was so special to me. Throughout everything he went through these past few weeks, Sonny remained a lovey, purring and affectionate cat.

I learned a powerful lesson this April, and it's that the most subtle changes in our pets can mean so much, and how important it is to pay attention.

He wasn't himself the end of March. Still eating, drinking, all the regular things, but he was just 'off'. His bloodwork was fine. Two days later I took him in for films, because he still wasn't back to normal. We found a small lung mass.

Saw an oncologist the same day. Discussed going to surgery, and how we'd arrange it with my impending trip to Kansas. Sonny was 9 years old, no history of any problems.

Two days later, the day before Easter, I was food shopping, and my fiance called and said Sonny was lame in the rear legs. I came home and felt one lame leg, and that was enough for me to grab him and race to the e-clinic.

It was one leg - saddle thrombus - and we had caught it fast. An ultrasound revealed mild hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, but not enough according to the doc, to cause the clot. The mass was the suspected culprit.

Post-hospitalization, I nursed him through bouts of poor appetite, and 2.5 weeks later, he was almost 100% back on that foot. We discontinued Plavix (to reduce clot risks) in order to attempt surgery.

I dropped Sonny off Monday night (April 30) for the lung surgery. He was doing better. He even ate some baby food for me while we waited.

I got a call the next morning. He had just suffered another clot, this time both rear legs. He was being monitored and treated for pain, but I had to make a decision.

A few minutes after I called the cardiologist and we said I'd take him home that night, and we'd euthanize him here, due to his now poor prognosis, the doctor called me back and said Sonny was having a mini seizure and his heartbeat was faint. The doc suspected a clot had gone to the brain. I immediately agreed to euthanasia, but I felt so bad I wasn't there by his side.

At least he wasn't alone, and he was in very caring hands. Everyone there knew him, from his initial oncology consult, to his first saddle thrombus treatment, and then this episode.

I said yes to post him, so we can biopsy the mass. He had small lung lesions all over, not detected on xrays, as well as some enlarged lymph nodes. The biopsy isn't back yet.

I miss him terribly, like a piece of me is gone. I can't help but feel cheated that we only had 9 years. They were great ones, but it still feels too, too short. These couple of weeks since Easter were so hard, yet so precious.

Sorry for the length. This was my 'little boy' Sonny.
-Pam

Cookiebear, I'm sorry to hear about Sonny. Cancer really bites. He sounds like a wonderful cat, and I'm sure he had a good life with you.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry about your boy Cookie :( But thank you for sharing his story, I've been wondering how he was doing, but was afraid to ask. Orangey cats are definitely my favorite (don't tell the tortie that!). He was a very lucky kitty to have so much love and great medical care. Good luck in Kansas, we are all rooting for you!

There is no smiley face for a big hug, but I'm sending one your way anyway!

Aw, Cookie so sorry for your loss. :( I have no doubt that he knew he was special. Sending lots of love your way.:love:

oh cookie - my heart goes out to you, i am so sorry for your loss. he was certainly handsome, and i bet a great friend.

so sorry Cookie :(

Cookie - So sorry for your loss. I'm sure that Sonny is looking down on you now (because all animals go to Heaven), cheering you on as you work towards starting school.

i finally put up an avatar, so now i can play too!

giraffes are my favorite animals. i found this mug shot online, and loved it.

it's kinda funny to read back through these now, b/c some of you have changed your avatars since posting. :laugh:

i forgot about this thread!

mine is bombay, my big hunka hunka bengal love. at least part dog (he comes when called), definitely part wildcat (the spraying i could do without, buddy...yes, spraying even though he was neutered at 5 months >.< ), and part toddler (he rides around on my hip with his paws on my shoulder like a baby). my parents got him when i was 11, and i can't even imagine my house without him in it.

That's awesome, silverelf. I have a dog who is part cat. Silas is 11 but acts much younger. He got to New Zealand before I did (only to hang out in quarantine for a month). Somewhat embarrassingly, he has his own dogster page http://www.dogster.com/dogs/446

Members don't see this ad :)
These are my two dogs Monica and Paula. My name is Jennifer. Can you guess the connection?
PS: It is not from "Friends"

Good for you! Most people take some time or never figure it out at all. I have always thought I should get a really crabby cat and call it Hillary too.

Jennifer Not Flowers

COOKIE! So sorry about your kitty. Below is a pic of Wallace. I lost him 2 years ago, but it seems like yesterday he was with me.

Yes, subtle changes can mean so much. One week he was a little tired after a walk/jog, but it was really hot that day and it had been awhile since I had him out in the heat. Once he got inside and I fed his dinner, he seemed 100% normal.
The next weekend had a seziure, 36 hours later I had to euthanize him at 4:00 am, but I was there with him. Pancreatic cancer.

He was 4.5 years old.

It taught me a valuble lesson- when people compain that there is something wrong with their animal- listen. Even if they are young. For all of those owners who are hypochondriacs for their pets, there may be one in which you make a difference.

I know what you are going through Cookie. I'm sure the 9 years you had with him- he appreciated all the love he got from you.

superdog2.jpg

Thank you, everyone.

Philo, Wallace was such a handsome dog!

Yes, the little changes mean so much..

It will be three weeks this Tuesday since losing Sonny. My two remaining cats are now closer than ever. They are always curled up in a duo-ball, and they're both real mushy with Cookie too.

Wallace was adorable!!! what a great picture.

i'm so sorry for all of your losses.

Cookie, I'm so sorry for your loss of your orange boy (they're the best, I agree!) You gave him 9 great years, and I'm sure he knows and appreciates that. :(

I just uploaded one.

I have a picture of Mario, the youngest. He's a 1 year old Shiba Inu. He's a hoodlum, counter-surfer and takes everything to his bed.We once found him with a banana peel in his bed. He ate the banana but left the peel.

He lives in the kitchen because my girl does not get along with him.

Tiara has a dogster page - http://www.dogster.com/dogs/545212

These are my two babies, the big orange tabby is Phoenix and the little brown tabby is India. They got fat and are currently on a diet and they are very unhappy about it. Today, I found an empty Whiska's treat bag outside the pantry, and when I opened the pantry door to see why it had fallen out and see if the treats that were supposed to be the bag had fallen out into the pantry or something... I found India in there. No treats, just India, looking very satisfied.

These are my two babies, the big orange tabby is Phoenix and the little brown tabby is India. They got fat and are currently on a diet and they are very unhappy about it. Today, I found an empty Whiska's treat bag outside the pantry, and when I opened the pantry door to see why it had fallen out and see if the treats that were supposed to be the bag had fallen out into the pantry or something... I found India in there. No treats, just India, looking very satisfied.

Such an adorable picture of your clever, criminal cats!

My cats are criminals too. Frederika, who is on the left in my current avatar, is especially good at opening the bread bin and going in to gnaw on the bread! She and Rumby (3rd from the left) both love to steal cabbage from the cooking pot too!

looking for a picture of my maine coone to use as my avatar (he has that good windswept 80's hair look). but in the meantime, back to the castilla de cuy we came upon in peru!
<-----

My avatar is Bruce. He is my great dane/ pitty mix. He came in to the hospital as an abuse case. His previous owners thought it was ok to toss him down the stairs when he was a pup. It was love at first sight! He is now 5 years old and spunky as ever! He is a great boy, my running partner & will chase his tail on command.

My avatar is Bruce. He is my great dane/ pitty mix. He came in to the hospital as an abuse case. His previous owners thought it was ok to toss him down the stairs when he was a pup. It was love at first sight! He is now 5 years old and spunky as ever! He is a great boy, my running partner & will chase his tail on command.

bump!

There's some lovely new avatars I would like to know about :)

Mine is my Papillon, Maddie in her Halloween costume as Tinkerbell. :love:
She's such a good girl.

so pretty, she makes a good Tinkerbell!

My avatar is Casper, the 2.5 year old JRT taking a siesta on the couch. He is such a couch potato at home and nobody ever believes me because he's so high energy everywhere else!!

I love the belly spots - it's one of my favorite pictures. ;)

Well, out of obligation, I changed my avatar from the tiger to a pet. I have two kitties, but I decided that (for now) it'll have to be Chloe, my Pembroke Welsh Corgi. Note the heterochromia iridium... not that common in corgis, as far as I can tell. She can hear and see fine in both eyes and both ears, though.

We haven't quite had her for a year (she's about 4 yo) but she feels like she's been a part of the family for years. Her favorite things are:
FOOD (!!)
squeaky toys!
belly rubs
barking at the doorbell
walks
wiggling her rump

She's a pretty awesome dog.

Miss Chloe is absolutely adorable. :)

This is Gus Gus. Gus for short. We named him after the mouse in Cinderella because he was sooo fat when we got him and because he though he was tough but really wasn't. He still thinks he's tough:mad:.
He was a rescue. They told us he was a Queensland/lab mix but it turns out he's a Queensland/BEAGLE mix(very loud).
Gus isn't the smartest dog I've ever know. The second time he went to the ranch he wasn't paying attention to where a horse was walking, stepped right in front of it and broke his leg. Very scary:scared:. He's very silly and we love to watch him play with his cousins:corny:.
View attachment gus.JPG

Oh man, Gus Gus looks like the PERFECT name for him. :)
Nothing is cuter than a sleeping puppy. Nothing.

Okay, so he is not my avatar... but here's my boy!

IMG_1350.jpg

Bailey's a 7 year old Cairn/Westie mix. He's my boo!

Mine is "Nara" (short for Naranja, or orange in spanish, yeah not very creative I know). I was getting an oil change in my 2nd year of vet school and there was a lady that was telling the mechanic, and then randomly me about this little pitiful orange kitten that was thrown in her back yard, with singed whiskers. Her husband did not want her to keep the cat (they just got a new puppy). At the time we had a small rescue organization at Western, which I told her about. I became Nara's "foster" and decided I could not let her leave my home. She is absolutely one of the craziest animals I have ever known, full of energy and now that she grew into her ears and grew new whickers, she is absolutely beautiful (in my biased opinion).:D

Mine is "Nara" (short for Naranja, or orange in spanish, yeah not very creative I know)...
Hey, I think it's creative! I named a little orange kitten I rescued Tang, as in the orange drink. :)

My pic is of our 8 year old little girl, JJ. She was a neglect case and I originally planned on taking her in as a rescue and trying to find her a home....but you probably know how this story ends! :rolleyes: Keeping her was one of the best decisions I've ever made though because she is truly the love of our lives! :love:

Yes, this is an awesome thread. In lieu of starting the app cycle over again *sigh*, I thought I would select a new avatar for good luck in my attempt to join the c/o 2013! This is of my two (almost-) 16-year-old kids, littermates Annie and Alex.
:love:

Annie and Alex are adorable! They will surely bring you good luck for next year! :luck:

my avatar is my cat Rissy. She passed away last April of cancer, she was 12. She was our little baby. We had her since she was born - we brought her mom and dad home from the local racetrack - they lived in the hayloft of my dad's barn.

She was always such a riot, but was treated like a little princess. She always laid down right in the middle of someone else's bed or the couch, and for a little thing she took up so much space, no one else could sit or lay down. She also wagged her tail like a dog, it was adorable.

I miss her so much! :( But now I'm dealing with one of my dogs, Buddy, who just died last week. He wasn't feeling well a few months ago, 1 vet said it was his heart while another said it was cancer. my family thought it was his heart as well- turns out the vet with the second opinion was wrong and it was his heart...he lived out his last few weeks as happy as ever and unfortunately died suddenly...I don't think it has sunk in yet - I'm busy trying to make my other two dogs as happy as possible, since they know something is missing...

Oh no, shemari! I am so sorry! It is hard enough to lose a pet, much less to have a discrepancy with the diagnosis! I'm so sorry you have to go through that! :(

Thanks, veggirl! And Shemari, I'm so sorry you lost your two kids! :(

My avatar is Fawkes, my Belgian Malinois pup around 3 months of age, if I remember right. He's now 11 months old and a very handsome boy! His name is a reference to Dumbledore's phoenix in Harry Potter and his registered name is Ordre du Phenix du Dantero as he was born a few months before the 5th movie and the 7th book came out. :D I have 3 other dogs (all from shelters or rescues), but he's my first from a really good breeder and I have high hopes from him. I'll probably dabble in agility, protection sport, disc, carting, and more with him. Whatever sounds like fun at the time!

Mine's my new puppy, Skwisgaar, when he was about 7 or 8 weeks old. He was passed out on the couch and I couldn't resist taking all sorts of stupid closeups of his feet and nose.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE turtles, I've always had turtles as pets bc I always wanted to have dogs but my parents wouldn't let me..so they gave me turtles instead :p I love Hoodle's avatar..turtles are so cute..I've rescued many here in Florida. Turtles cross the streets and some of them get killed :mad: so, I always stop when I see one, pick it up and drop it in a nearby lake ;):D:love:Also Tortue, means turtle in french.

Look to the left and you'll see my son Rosco. He was a stray at the shelter for about 4 months. We've got loads of stories of him eating things and whatnot...but if you're interested, he would like to invite you to read his blog! He has been unable to blog lately b/c I won't let him blog alone and I am too busy to help him (internet pervs and such...I'm a protective mother). http://roscothewondermutt.blogspot.com