A true American hero

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ESU_MD

Old School
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-mount-dora-doctor-tells-patients-go-aw20100401,0,6040296,full.story

What a brave role model for the medical profession. Maybe we should all put these signs on our office doors and let the public know where we stand instead of just rolling over dead for the politicians and unappreciative public.

Members don't see this ad.

He is an unprofessional douche and a disgrace to medicine.

He's as much of a hero as the douche who yelled out "You lie!"

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

LOL @ "unprofessional"

that's the tired, empty buzzword thrown around to shame physicians into falling in line.

u were 5 minutes late to clinic....unprofessional
u didn't immediately return my page...unprofessional
your tie isn't on straight....unprofessional

oh whats the point, I don't like the bill I find alot of it to be onerous, but if nothing else they cut competition at the knees by lowering the amount you can put in an HSA pretax, penalizing "cadillac plans" let alone the 3.8% tax (on top of income tax) on any unearned income (penalizing savings). If he really wanted to take a stand just convert to cash only.

I do have a question with the bioethicist questioning his professional responsibility though.

Last edited:
Urologist getting penalized? Oh! How the tables have turned!

oh whats the point, I don't like the bill I find alot of it to be onerous, but if nothing else they cut competition at the knees by lowering the amount you can put in an HSA pretax, penalizing "cadillac plans" let alone the 3.8% tax (on top of income tax) on any unearned income (penalizing savings). If he really wanted to take a stand just convert to cash only.

I do have a question with the bioethicist questioning his professional responsibility though.

Well, he actually says he won't turn any patients away, but if any feel offended by his sign, then they are welcome to seek care elsewhere. So while very rude and childish, I don't think he's actually 'neglecting' any of his 'responsibilities.'

...What a brave role model for the medical profession. Maybe we should all put these signs on our office doors and let the public know where we stand instead of just rolling over dead for the politicians and unappreciative public.
I will first say, we need to stop rolling over. Numerous threads throughout have such sentiments. Again, what market has a shortage of goods/services and then cuts the costs of such limited comodities?

As per the sign. I am not opposed to signs that inform the public/patients and say, "I am opposed to the recent legislation. The recent legislation may impact my ability to provide the level of care I believe should be provided", etc, etc... Something to that effect. His sign, I fear was worded poorly....
Can he be penalized for that?
Possibly. His sign is a declaration of discrimination....
LOL @ "unprofessional"

that's the tired, empty buzzword thrown around to shame physicians into falling in line.

u were 5 minutes late to clinic....unprofessional
u didn't immediately return my page...unprofessional
your tie isn't on straight....unprofessional
I agree with you on the over used word "unprofessional"..... Everyone in the healthcare industry including congress seem to be able to make money as part of their profession. Physicians apparently are "unprofessional" if we recognize it is a business and as such make money. Instead, for us to be professional, we are expected to be servants of charity.
...If he really wanted to take a stand just convert to cash only...
Yep. I agree. Physicians whine in corners or make poorly thought out gestures like the wording of his sign...
...he actually says he won't turn any patients away, but if any feel offended by his sign, then they are welcome to seek care elsewhere. So while very rude and childish...
The problem is the wording of his sign establishes an atmosphere of discrimination.... even if only perceived. To "overcome" this perception.... you need to walk into the office, ask the physician if you can continue receiving care? Maybe admit your voting choices?
UroFoolish said:
"...If you voted for Obama seek urologic care elsewhere..."
The sign could just as easily said:

If you voted Republican seek urologic care elsewhere
If you voted Democrat seek urologic care elsewhere
If you choose vegetarianiam seek urologic care elsewhere
If you eat meat seek urologic care elsewhere

etc, etc, etc..... Yes, he may face some problems for the poor wording. Imagine one of his renal cell cancer or bladder cancer patients having voted a certain way and being confronted by that sign???
...if any feel offended by his sign ...while very rude and childish, I don't think he's actually 'neglecting' any of his 'responsibilities.'
It is possible he could be reprimanded and/or loose his license for a violation of the Florida patient bill of rights. So, "very rude" and/or offensive does not cut it under Florida law with regards to patient rights and physician "responsibilities".
FL PtBillofRights said:
...RIGHTS OF PATIENTS.--Each health care facility or provider shall observe the following standards:

(a) Individual dignity.-- 1. The individual dignity of a patient must be respected at all times and upon all occasions...

...SUMMARY OF THE FLORIDA PATIENT'S BILL
OF RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES

...A patient has the right to be treated with courtesy and respect, with appreciation of his or her individual dignity, and with protection of his or her need for privacy...

Last edited:

He's as much of a hero as the douche who yelled out "You lie!"

+1

And just because a word ("unprofessional") is overused doesn't mean that you shouldn't employ it when you find a true instance of its intended meaning.

I hope he gets his discriminatory Tanner Stage 1 balls sued off.

+1

And just because a word ("unprofessional") is overused doesn't mean that you shouldn't employ it when you find a true instance of its intended meaning.

And so starts "So about this healthcare bill thing" thread part deux.

:sleep:

Although I have to agree that refusing care to people who voted Democrat is over-simplifying the issue.

But, seriously, we have an entire forum on SDN dedicated to these discussions.....

Never mind.

Last edited:
+1

Well wishing a lawsuit on someone, calling them profane names and wishing what would be a developmental defect on them is certainly more professional than making a political statement in your own office.

...And just because a word ("unprofessional") is overused...

Well wishing a lawsuit on someone, calling them profane names and wishing what would be a developmental defect on them is certainly more professional than making a political statement in your own office.
Flank Pain, my feelings, though some thoughts beyond it. The bigger point about the overused word "professionalism" and "unprofessional" is exemplified by BlondDocteur's post.

Right now physicians have been pitted against each other. Current income levels are used to pit specialty against specialty. So much squabbling that "we" sat back and allowed HMOs, continued Medicare/Medicaid, and now the new thing. When one disagrees.... the claims of professionalism, duty, responsibility, compassion, caring, etc... comes out. PCPs are the most important/deserving or General surgeons, or etc.... it goes on and on. But, it should be obvious this is bating and we are not just biting, rather swallowing the entire hook.

Don't know if it's just that physicians as a whole have so much ego and self love.... we think we are each the cat's meow. But, it seems we are each individually and absolutely correct and can't see the hypocrisy in our rsponses. I know I have made some harsh comments here and elsewhere. I recognize it and own.

My concern in the post by the Uro in Florida... is as noted. I surely am not going to come in with some overused, subjective and frequently self-servingly defined claim of "unprofessionalism". That word is used to shackle physicians... quite effectively. It is like if you disagree with certain legislative positions.... you must first convince everybody you truely disagree with the legislation and are not racist. These are the type of tactics used.

A physician is "greedy", "lacks compassion", "mean", "unprofessional"..... etc, etc... all loaded words that were used and continue to be used in order to force certain legislative policies. It is "unprofessional" for a physician to get dinner bought by an industry rep, or lunch, or pens, notepads, etc.... Yet, Congressional folks and even presidents get literaly MILLIONS of dollars, plenty of high end dinners... that do not even pretend to be education conferences. Our current president declined federal funding to allow for private sector funding, etc.....

So, as I posted, the wording is a problem. The physician may likely see some real trouble. I think it was a stupid, knee jerk, poorly thought act. But, I am not going wish for more lawsuits or presume congenital problems or even hope for castration....

In the big scheme, it distracts and divides.... that in my opinion was his biggest mistake.

Last edited:
http://www.alan.com/2010/04/03/doct...mits-not-knowing-whats-in-health-reform-bill/

Cassell: Well I think that they're cutting all supportive care, like nursing homes, ambulance services…
Colmes: What to you mean they're cutting nursing homes?
Cassell: They're cutting nursing home reimbursements
Colmes: Isn't what they're cutting under the Medicare plan what was really double dipping; they were getting credits and they were getting to deduct them at the same time.
Cassell: Well you know, I can't tell you exactly what the deal is.
Colmes: If you can't tell us exactly what the deal is, why are you opposing it and fighting against it?
Cassell: I'm not the guy who wrote the plan.
Colmes: But if you don't know what the deal is why are you speaking out against something you don't know what the deal is?
Cassell: What I get online, just like any other American. What I'm supposed to understand about the bill should be available to me.
Colmes: It is; it's been online for a long time; it's also been all over the media

I'm not taking a side politically, but this guy is a *****. This doctor was on a news show and made a complete fool of himself. I wish I remember the show. The host was asking him questions about his stance on some of health care issues. He made some completely false/ignorant statements and the host called him on them. His only response then was to say that he gets his information off the internet like everyone else.

My biggest pet peeve is people who want to fight/argue even when they have no facts. They will have no info about a topic but will fight to the death to support their view.

Last edited:
I'm not taking a side politically, but this guy is a *****. This doctor was on a news show and made a complete full of himself

Believe me, I'm not one to talk, and I know it's an honest mistake but pointing out the obvious here was just to good too pass up:laugh: No hard feelings

Last edited:
Believe me, I'm not one to talk, and I know it's an honest mistake but pointing out the obvious here was just to good to pass up:laugh: No hard feelings

Lol. It's cool. I deserved that.