a typical test center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swamprat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, maybe this is a dumb question but how is this test organized at the test center? You go there you get fingerprinted, bla blah then you just sit down at a computer and start? Are there dividers between computer screens or are you rubbing elbows with the person(s) next to you? Can you bring food into the center? Does someone watch your comp if you need a bathroom break (inbetween sections for example)

Members don't see this ad.

I've actually been wondering this too... and how many people per room?

And how come people don't suggest leaving the room for breaks? People usually say that it's not worth it to leave the room because you can really only be outside for a few min before you have to go back in and do the fingerprinting process in order to make it in under 10 min..does the fingerprinting thing take THAT long?

Well okay the test center I went to was small but we had about a total 8 people max in a room. There are bigger test centers in my city but I had to go out to one.

The computers are separated at a good distance with cubicle wall type dividers. The computers are old where I was not the flat screen type.

The test supervisors constantly make rounds in the room to make sure everything is going okay and no one is cheating. You can't cheat cuz there are cameras, they make you empty your pockets.

Food is stored in lockers given to you before the test and you can only eat or snack during the break. Everything is usually packed down as far as security haha.

Fingerprinting for me did not take a long time, but you get antsy waiting outside knowing you have to go back in anyway so some people like me just spend five minutes snacking or drinking gatorade. I would advise taking a breather because going onwards with doing so will exhaust you.

And how come people don't suggest leaving the room for breaks? People usually say that it's not worth it to leave the room because you can really only be outside for a few min before you have to go back in and do the fingerprinting process in order to make it in under 10 min..does the fingerprinting thing take THAT long?
I suggest leaving the room for breaks - it gives you fresh air, a chance to look outside and be in a larger room/lobby for a few minutes.

Fingerprinting did not take very long at my test center. You can stay out for 7 mins to relax and get a snack, and get fingerprinted and back by 9 mins. This may vary center to center but I think you can def leave the room for the breaks.

Members don't see this ad :)
so the January test starts at 8am.

my center is 5-10 miles from my home.

what time should I wake up provided I want to eat a bowl of cereal and shower, and not be rushing?

i was thinking 6am ish....

My test was at 8AM so I woke up around 6:50ish, had breakfast, and my dad drove me to test site.
There were about 10 or so kids at the test center. The proctor checked our IDs, we put away out stuff in the lockers, and the proctor gave a little speech where he warned us "if we cheated, we would never get into medical school."
His exact words.
Then we were individually fingerprinted and led into the computer room. We could start as soon as were seated.
I took a break after PS. Ate a Power Bar. Then I took a break after WS. Took a piss. Then I finished up the test and the survey was last.

I've actually been wondering this too... and how many people per room?

I think some of the nuances vary between centers. You can actually call your specific test center and ask questions if you have any before your test date.

When I took my test, most people did take a break after their sections but it is individual preference, of course. About the 10 min limit, the next section does not start on its own after 10 mins are up. An introductory screen to the next section comes up and you have to hit begin for the next section to start. So, theoretically, I could return to my seat and just sit there for 5 more minutes after my 10 minute break and the real section will not start. My point in saying this is that you guys do not have to stress about fingerprinting taking up your break and you not making the 10 minute break limit.

I think some of the nuances vary between centers. You can actually call your specific test center and ask questions if you have any before your test date.

When I took my test, most people did take a break after their sections but it is individual preference, of course. About the 10 min limit, the next section does not start on its own after 10 mins are up. An introductory screen to the next section comes up and you have to hit begin for the next section to start. So, theoretically, I could return to my seat and just sit there for 5 more minutes after my 10 minute break and the real section will not start. My point in saying this is that you guys do not have to stress about fingerprinting taking up your break and you not making the 10 minute break limit.

wow, can anyone confirm this?