A unique FAFSA question: who are my parents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hemoglobincell

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been working on my FAFSA and have finally reached the parents' information box, and the first question has to do with when my parents were divorced and/or separated.

My situation is sort of unique. My biological father and my mom separated because he is a paranoid schizophrenic and abusive. I was barely 4 years old when this all happened. Within the year my mom remarried and the man she married was immediately accepted by my younger sister and me as "dad". I have not seen my biological father since I was 4, but I hear that he is living on the streets somewhere in Los Angeles. Naturally, this is somewhat embarrassing for me and I have not mentioned it on any of my applications.

I have acted my whole life like he didn't exist. My dad is my dad, he has been for 18 years, and I cannot even remember my biological father.

However, I am at a loss for what to put in relation to questions about my "parents". My biological father, before going off the deep end, was a chiropractor who made a considerable living. It's hard to approach the parents questions with the nagging thought in the back of my mind that he is actually still alive and still technically my biological father, only divorced from my mother. Should I go into these sorts of official documents with that in mind or ignore my biological father altogether?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, interesting situation. If the person that you consider your father has never legally adopted you, then your biological father is your father. Sorry to make light of your situation, but if you are really sure that he is living on the streets, it is likely that he has no income or assets, and you could just consider them to be zero for FAFSA purposes.

I believe that you are supposed to list your mother and her new spouse on the FAFSA. (This is actually on the FAFSA directions at the top of the parents info page.) For FAFSA purposes you have 2 "parents" regardless or whether you have 1 or 4 or something between. Most schools require info for both parents and step-parents (up to 4 individuals) if you are applying for school need-based aid. I am sure the FA office will understand your special circumstances and that you really can't get in touch with your biological dad and he really isnt going to be helping you pay for school.

From the faq: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/faq002.htm

"What if I am unable to provide my parents’ information, their income information and signature, due to special circumstances?

Under very limited circumstances, an otherwise dependent student may be able to submit the FAFSA without parental information due to special circumstances. Before you proceed to skip the parental section of your FAFSA, consider the following:

Examples of special circumstances where you may be able to submit your FAFSA without providing parental information include:

Your parents are incarcerated; or
You have left home due to an abusive family environment; or
You do not know where your parents are and are unable to contact them (and you have not been adopted). Not all situations are considered a special circumstance.

The following are situations that would not be considered a special circumstance:

If you believe you have a special circumstance and are unable to provide parental information, you should complete information about you and your finances and skip any questions about your parents. You should sign your FAFSA with your PIN and leave your parent's PIN blank. It is important to note:

We will allow you to submit your FAFSA without parental information, however your FAFSA will not be considered complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
Call the FAFSA people.

So I've been working on my FAFSA and have finally reached the parents' information box, and the first question has to do with when my parents were divorced and/or separated.

My situation is sort of unique. My biological father and my mom separated because he is a paranoid schizophrenic and abusive. I was barely 4 years old when this all happened. Within the year my mom remarried and the man she married was immediately accepted by my younger sister and me as "dad". I have not seen my biological father since I was 4, but I hear that he is living on the streets somewhere in Los Angeles. Naturally, this is somewhat embarrassing for me and I have not mentioned it on any of my applications.

I have acted my whole life like he didn't exist. My dad is my dad, he has been for 18 years, and I cannot even remember my biological father.

However, I am at a loss for what to put in relation to questions about my "parents". My biological father, before going off the deep end, was a chiropractor who made a considerable living. It's hard to approach the parents questions with the nagging thought in the back of my mind that he is actually still alive and still technically my biological father, only divorced from my mother. Should I go into these sorts of official documents with that in mind or ignore my biological father altogether?

you pick the parent that you live with more or supports you more and their spouse. My parents are divorced but they split everything for me evenly, so I chose my mom because I live with her more when I am home (and she makes less).

I believe that you are supposed to list your mother and her new spouse on the FAFSA. (This is actually on the FAFSA directions at the top of the parents info page.) For FAFSA purposes you have 2 "parents" regardless or whether you have 1 or 4 or something between. Most schools require info for both parents and step-parents (up to 4 individuals) if you are applying for school need-based aid. I am sure the FA office will understand your special circumstances and that you really can't get in touch with your biological dad and he really isnt going to be helping you pay for school.
So you're saying that the FAFSA only requires that I list my two parents (my biological mother and stepfather), but that med. schools may have other need-based scholarships and want my biological father's information?

If this is the case then there is no problem, I can just fill out the FAFSA with my parents' information and then talk to the school's FA office about my biological father if need be...