a VERY DIFFICULT decision!!!

DATtaker

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2001
    Hey,

I just got offered a full ride from Morehouse Med. My only problem is this...I'm also waiting on Emory (being considered for a scholarship), Vanderbilt (interview March 10), UF (waitlist), and Tulane (accepted...but no offer yet).

Morehouse has given me until February 28th (the 14 day deadline) to accept the scholarship. It is a merit-based affair, and what I'd like to know is, is this offer binding if I accept it.

in other words, can I accept the scholarship, then back out later if Emory offers me a similar package, or will I be bound to the school?

I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give me on this (obviously I do not want to ask the med school in question).

:confused:

Goya

7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Dec 7, 2002
      Well...dunno how scholarship deadlines work. But don't interview at Vandy. You'll prolly be just interviewing for the waitlist. I guess it wouldnt' hurt to do one of their regional interviews since you did pay money to apply. Personally, I would take the scholarship and run.

About the Ads

Kovox

Going Places
      7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Aug 28, 2002
        Originally posted by bioguy123
        DATtaker-

First of all- congratulations! Morehouse is an AWESOME school and you'll get an incredible education if they are lucky enough to have you. Regarding the scholarship, there may be some requirements for minimum grades while you are in school, but it is definitely not binding. In any case, you are sure to be a terrific physician, I just know it!

Hey congrats. I was also offered full-ride scholarships to a couple of schools and yeah, I called and asked if it was binding. They said that it wasn't binding but I had to maintain a certain GPA. HOWEVER, out of courtesy, they would like it if you would call them as well as send them a written statement ASAP if you decide not to attend their school.

MSTP boy

7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        May 23, 2001
        Portland
          Is Morehouse an accredited allopathic school? If so, go for it - I think that the burden of debt is really underestimated by most med students and advisors. If you do well, then the reputation of the school won't matter. Congratulations! :clap:

pillowhead

10+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Oct 25, 2002
            Originally posted by DATtaker
            Hey,

I just got offered a full ride from Morehouse Med. My only problem is this...I'm also waiting on Emory (being considered for a scholarship), Vanderbilt (interview March 10), UF (waitlist), and Tulane (accepted...but no offer yet).

Morehouse has given me until February 28th (the 14 day deadline) to accept the scholarship. It is a merit-based affair, and what I'd like to know is, is this offer binding if I accept it.

in other words, can I accept the scholarship, then back out later if Emory offers me a similar package, or will I be bound to the school?

I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give me on this (obviously I do not want to ask the med school in question).

:confused:

just curious...did emory contact you and tell you that you were in the running for the Woodruff Scholars program, or are you in the running for a different type of scholarship?

VienneseWaltz

10+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Jan 26, 2003
            Baltimore
            1. Attending Physician
              pillowhead--are you referring to the info on Woodruff scholars that was in the acceptance packet, or were you separately contacted by someone at Emory regarding the scholarship? I didn't know whether they sent out the notice about Woodruff scholars to everyone or just the people they were semi-seriously considering for it.

pillowhead

10+ Year Member
              15+ Year Member
              Oct 25, 2002
                i think emory personally contacts the people they are looking at for Woodruff scholarships sometime this month or next. I was wondering if anyone had been contacted about this yet because i haven't heard anything. So I was wondering if these means I'm out of the running or if they simply haven't sent out notice of it yet.

About the Ads
                This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.