A very nice rejection letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Annette

gainfully employed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had a number of rejection letters, but today I got one that struck me as especially compassionate from Christ Hospital. It had the usual "we had so many applicants," but the tone of the letter was sincere instead of "we have had so many applicants that sucked, and you are one of them" tone. I even had one rejection letter that capitalized NOT in "you are NOT invited for an interview"

So, when you become a PD, remember how difficult is was applying!

Members don't see this ad.

I got that same Christ letter, and it did have a feeling of angst to it - almost sincere.

The one with NOT in it was from Detroit Receiving. I wrote back, and Dr. Wahl responded that it wasn't supposed to be demeaning, just clear. I also had told him how I was colleagues with a bunch of his residents (including one of his chiefs), and he responded that he reviewed my app, and "stand(s) by (his) decision". Yah!

Originally posted by Apollyon
I got that same Christ letter, and it did have a feeling of angst to it - almost sincere.

The one with NOT in it was from Detroit Receiving. I wrote back, and Dr. Wahl responded that it wasn't supposed to be demeaning, just clear. I also had told him how I was colleagues with a bunch of his residents (including one of his chiefs), and he responded that he reviewed my app, and "stand(s) by (his) decision". Yah!

The one from Northwestern had "Dear:" and didn't my name in it... they forgot it.

mike

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think Northwestern has any concept of manners. My premed advisor called them because of the very demeaning rejection letters they sent. I called them to see about a fourth year rotation, and they very VERY (trying to be clear!) snotty about me being a USIMG. They'd take IMG's, just not USIMG's

I had a similar episode with trying to set up a rotation through UConn. Not specifically with the emergency medicine dept, but with the med school. I had told them I went to med school in the Netherlands-Antilles. They were ready to send me paperwork, etc, and then they asked me if I was a resident of the Netherlands. I told them I was a US citizen and they told me that I could not rotate through there. They only allow US residents that go to US schools, or foreigners who go to school in their country of origin because they are looking for "cultural diversity". Well, those of us who go to a foreign med school and experience a different culture for years, aren't we diverse culturally?

I got that same letter from Christ the other day. It almost sounded as if they really felt sorry that they couldn't interview me. They wrote that they received apps from a number of "amazing" applicants! I guess mine wasn't amazing enough!

I got rejected twice by the Medical College of Georgia. I guess they wanted to be absolutely clear that they had no intention of interviewing me!

I figure that if I haven't heard by now from a program the odds are that I'm not going to. Not in a positive way at least. I'm happy with the number and quality of interviews I have recieved, but just barely. I haven't turned any interviews away. It looks like I will have 13 interviews. That should be enough to match.

If you met me anonymously, as in the ED, you might think I was a senior, or even a junior attending (<--- because that has happened 3 - yes, three - times from senior medical students), just because of how I work; I quickly disabuse people of that notion, but that's me - I am made for the ED. I have recs that say the same, and yet, I can't get interviewed. I don't get it. Anyways, I write to point out that that letter from Advocate Christ; they say they're only interviewing 65 this year...

But they didn't fill last year! You figure they might learn their lesson!

I got the same rotation abuse via the mail from Palmetto-Richland...the hospital was fine, but the med school sent me a preprinted page saying I couldn't. I played stupid and resubmitted my info...wherein the med school resent the preprinted page, with the one line saying "LCME only" furiously gone over several times with a highlighter - yet, still nothing specifically written in hand, or to "Dear Applicant", etc.

If I get time, I will collate all the rejection letters I've gotten, and tell you who is illiterate, unoriginal, illogical, and so on.

A few first - Texas Tech and UAB have return emails - that don't work. What would you think of a place that encouraged you to respond, with an email that is invalid? I got the feeling like they were trying to 'push off' door to door salesmen.

At Wright State, the letter last year came as from "alaine". In the letter, it had "Dr. Whomever" "Professor of Emergency Medicine". I wrote back, saying that, "if it weren't for the 'wright.edu', I would have NO CLUE as to where this came from". That was one of the rare instances that I got a return, and now it says "Wright State Emergency Medicine". My contribution. ("alaine" is the Residency Coordinator - a really nice lady.)

Well, perhaps the rejection letter from Christ is so warm because they sent out a pretty bad one last year. Many agreed that last year's was fairly self-serving with many grammatical errors, which made the message sting a little more...
Just a thought! ;)