Hey everyone, I'm actually still a pre-med right now, but I was hoping that some of you closer to the field could give me some input. I know it's a bit early for me to be seriously contemplating a specialty, but I have a tendency to try planning things far in advance. At any rate, I would definitely like to go into academics, combining research with medicine, but the common "80/20" split is what kind of scares me (I don't want to be scientist who does a gig as a part-time physician on the side). I read somewhere about academic surgeons having 60% of their time devoted to patient care, with the other 40% spread between research/teaching. Is this possible? Moreover, if I have an interest in cancer research, would it be feasible to be a surgical oncologist or neurosurgeon specializing in neuro-oncology running a lab that conducts basic cancer research (as opposed to clinical research)? I suppose it may just be wistful thinking, but I'm imagining a job where I can do a few surgeries a week, spend some time in clinic/doing consults, while running a major lab investigating targeted cancer therapeutics or something of the like. So is this sort of balance possible? Or is committing to academics pretty much committing yourself fully to your research?