A Video Explaining Why College (DENTAL SCHOOL, I’M LOOKING AT YOU) Is So Expensive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Panis et Circenses

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

This video was aimed at undergraduate degree seekers, but the same principles of why school is so expensive apply to dental school.

There are a few differences between what the video says about undergrad and dental school, including the following:
  1. Dental school prepares you for a job (unlike a very large portion of undergraduate degrees)
  2. The average dental school graduate has much, much, much more debt than $28,400 per borrower.
What is the same, however, is that dental schools have every incentive to increase tuition, because it’s more money they can assuredly get. Student loans are unlimited. The government also has every incentive to loan out more money, because they earn money on your loan with interest (interest can often make your purchase double the cost of what the original price was).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Side note: Prager "University" is a joke and are incredibly right leaning/conservative so take all this with a block of salt.

Last edited:
Side note: Prager "University" is a joke and are incredibly right leaning/conservative so take all this with a block of salt.
How is it a joke if it's true? What you did there was gave an Ad hominem attack with zero rebuttal to the content of the video. And the message of this video is completely centrist.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is it a joke if it's true? What you did there was gave an Ad hominem attack with zero rebuttal to the content of the video. And the message of this video is completely centrist.

At 2:48- "Todays higher education is about teaching you what a terrible country America is, social activism, and binge drinking". This quote in itself proves what a waste of laptop battery this video was.

Also earlier on it says how the most common majors are gender studies and puppet something (attacking "liberals") while a 6 second google search will prove otherwise.

At 2:48- "Todays higher education is about teaching you what a terrible country America is, social activism, and binge drinking". This quote in itself proves what a waste of laptop battery this video was.

Also earlier on it says how the most common majors are gender studies and puppet something (attacking "liberals") while a 6 second google search will prove otherwise.
No it said liberal arts. Which has nothing to do with "liberals". Gender studies falls into the liberal arts category. Which the point they were making is those degrees don't get jobs, and that is true. You're reaching pretty hard to try to get offended here.

Reactions: 2 users

I think that the only "conservative" items in this video were when the speaker asserted that colleges teach social activism and thinking that America is a terrible country. I wouldn't characterize all colleges in that nature, but there are certainly some where those ideas are more prevalent. Also, toward the end, the speaker said not to trust politicians who say that they want college more affordable, but I think that's a little too far. I'm sure there are some who want college to be more affordable, but not through free tuition or ideas similar to that.

As far as the common majors, business is number one, and then social sciences. Here's a link (Bachelor's degrees conferred by postsecondary institutions, by field of study: Selected years, 1970-71 through 2014-15).

The facts about increasing tuition and free loan money are correct though. I think that's the important part in this video.

Edit: social sciences is number one when psychology is included. Business is then number two.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that the only "conservative" items in this video were when the speaker asserted that colleges teach social activism and thinking that America is a terrible country. I wouldn't characterize all colleges in that nature, but there are certainly some where those ideas are more prevalent. Also, toward the end, the speaker said not to trust politicians who say that they want college more affordable, but I think that's a little too far. I'm sure there are some who want college to be more affordable, but not through free tuition or ideas similar to that.

As far as the common majors, business is number one, and then social sciences. Here's a link (Bachelor's degrees conferred by postsecondary institutions, by field of study: Selected years, 1970-71 through 2014-15).
What you linked there shows psychology and social sciences separate. If you combine the two (which you should, because psychology is a social science) the social sciences are by far the biggest group of bachelor degrees.

The facts about increasing tuition and free loan money are correct though. I think that's the important part in this video.
While I don't believe that anything in this video went "too far", this is the reason why I posted this video. And it is an objectively centrist message.

The conservative leanings of the video are irrelevant. Focus on the message, not the messenger. The video's point is spot on and is 1st grade economics.

Reactions: 1 users
What you linked there shows psychology and social sciences separate. If you combine the two (which you should, because psychology is a social science) the social sciences are by far the biggest group of bachelor degrees.

Yeah that makes sense. I feel like psychology is more useful in the job world than some of the other social sciences, but combined that definitely means that social sciences are number one, and business is number two. Didn't catch that.

While I don't believe that anything in this video went "too far", this is the reason why I posted this video. And it is an objectively centrist message.

I agree - the message is important. I don't think there's anything political about saving yourself from a huge amount of debt. That's something a lot of pre-dents aren't too concerned with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean I agree with @aggietxdent that some of the stuff in the video is nothing more than sensationalized conservative opinion, BUT everything that has to do with the actual economics of the situation is 100% fact and people would be fools not to pay attention to this video just because it's sourced from a conservative leaning organization

I understand how right leaning prager U is, but they got this issue right imo