A Waitlisted Friend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdquestion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So one of my friends from college applied this cycle and was basically waitlisted/rejected everywhere. It's actually a very strange pattern, and I've made a MDApps profile to detail it.

http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=19856

He has great grades, research experience, MCATs. But, really no clinical experience. His parents are both physicians and he works in research at a hospital, but he still to me seems pretty ignorant about the process and what physicians do. He got some amazing interviews, and also many rejections. And, we all assume he is waitlisted with no acceptances right now because of his lack of clinical experience.

Anyway, he really wants to go to a particular school. Which, is the highest rank of those he's waitlisted at (I'll leave it at that). He's writing letters, sending in additional recs, etc. BUT ONLY TO THIS ONE SCHOOL. I told him to concentrate his efforts on everywhere...because at this point, it's more of a struggle to get a spot in SOME class next year rather than his TOP choice. Given all his waitlists are at rocking med schools, I think he'd be happy anywhere.

Any advice to give him. I want him to get in, but this "prestige, only top school" attitude is really bothering me considering he didn't even go through the same preparation and hard work for medical school that I did (i.e. volunteering, community service). I don't really know what to say.

I imagine if he doesn't get in this cycle...it will be awhile before he can apply again. He hasn't done any clinical work this past year. Just some volunteer stuff that is not clinically related.

Members don't see this ad.

you can't really transfer your drive to someone else. if your friend continues to remain ignorant of the process and continues to focus on just this one school, then you have to consider the possibility that he might subconsciously not want to go to medical school. in any case, it doesn't sound like he's prepared for the experience.

Judging from the MDApps profile, your friend should have applied to more backup schools. His list is just WAY WAY too top heavy. I'm not sure why he didn't, but I take it this may have been a result of slight arrogance/ignorance about this process and maybe some bad advising on part of his pre-med committee. Considering he has 6 waitlists, he has a pretty good chance at coming off of one of them if he makes the effort. He wasn't rejected at any of these schools, which is a good sign that they're still interested and he probably interviews well.

Tell him to talk to his pre-med committee leader. He/She will probably echo what you said. That he should be pursuing all options rather than just one. I assume he's going for Penn?

Members don't see this ad :)
36S 3.7. I am sooooooo jealous.

How did he get all those interviews?

Anyway, your friend should do what he believes is best for himself. Whats the point of going to a school you wont be happy at anyway?

Reactions: 1 user
36S 3.7. I am sooooooo jealous.

How did he get all those interviews?

Anyway, your friend should do what he believes is best for himself. Whats the point of going to a school you wont be happy at anyway?

Haha, look at your stats. I want a 39S and 3.9 lol.

I think the friend of the OP should be happy going to any of those schools. They're all Top 10-20 in good cities. Why doesn't he write letters to ALL of them.

Haha, look at your stats. I want a 39S and 3.9 lol.

I think the friend of the OP should be happy going to any of those schools. They're all Top 10-20 in good cities. Why doesn't he write letters to ALL of them.

mdeasty. i recollect that u got into "better" schools than me :p maybe we shud trade citizenship ;p

*oh here comes the, every school is equal and we shud not look at us news ranking brigade.
gosh.

yeah but tbh. i agree with most of the other posters (in some aspects)

i tink hey. he got so far already. he interviewed at these schools, and if he really wants a school, he knws wat he is doing. he knws the consequences, and i kinda am proud of him for wat he is doing:p

yeah but tbh. i agree with most of the other posters (in some aspects)

i tink hey. he got so far already. he interviewed at these schools, and if he really wants a school, he knws wat he is doing. he knws the consequences, and i kinda am proud of him for wat he is doing:p

I am more talking about doing no clinical work...how stupid!!

Give some effort...:rolleyes:

mdeasty. i recollect that u got into "better" schools than me :p maybe we shud trade citizenship ;p

*oh here comes the, every school is equal and we shud not look at us news ranking brigade.
gosh.

I'm going to Sinai at this point (that was the highest ranked school I got into). I think you beat me with your Northwestern acceptance. You can have my citizenship anyway, I'll take your 39. Are you Canadian? Then I can go anywhere in the world and people will love me instead of hate me for my American-ness! :)

Gosh everyone loves Canadians. The things you realize when you leave the US.

My original point being: the OP's friend has no acceptances. I agree. It's not a "first choice" time. It's a "let's hope I can get in this cycle" time. Given 6 waitlists though, and hard effort, I think he has a decent chance. I know that Pitt and Sinai at least take a fair chunk of each class from the waitlist.

I am more talking about doing no clinical work...how stupid!!

Give some effort...:rolleyes:

:(

i dont understandddddd

but u are right as always dubby :D

not doing clinical work

*frowned upon*

I'm going to Sinai at this point (that was the highest ranked school I got into). I think you beat me with your Northwestern acceptance. You can have my citizenship anyway, I'll take your 39. Are you Canadian? Then I can go anywhere in the world and people will love me instead of hate me for my American-ness! :)

Gosh everyone loves Canadians. The things you realize when you leave the US.

My original point being: the OP's friend has no acceptances. I agree. It's not a "first choice" time. It's a "let's hope I can get in this cycle" time. Given 6 waitlists though, and hard effort, I think he has a decent chance. I know that Pitt and Sinai at least take a fair chunk of each class from the waitlist.

I heard that US news rankings gonna be updated in a week or two. Given Sinai's sharp rise over the past few years... wouldnt be surprised if tehy turn the tables on northwestern ;)

Im applying to become a permanent resident first.
i have to agree.. ppl love canadians. i love canadians too.

its really.. wow. toronto at least. one of teh best places to feel welcomed in.
its so multicultural and accepting...

cant say the same for the US, but same goes to the asian countries ive lived in. :laugh:

canada is just special, in that aspect. other than that.. lots of things do suck. its too cold. *frowns*

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that US news rankings gonna be updated in a week or two. Given Sinai's sharp rise over the past few years... wouldnt be surprised if tehy turn the tables on northwestern ;)

Im applying to become a permanent resident first.
i have to agree.. ppl love canadians. i love canadians too.

its really.. wow. toronto at least. one of teh best places to feel welcomed in.
its so multicultural and accepting...

cant say the same for the US, but same goes to the asian countries ive lived in. :laugh:

canada is just special, in that aspect. other than that.. lots of things do suck. its too cold. *frowns*

I've actually never been to Canada, so much of my perceptions of it come from friends, the media, and of course South Park episodes. I did however travel around Europe for 3 weeks on a EuroRail Pass with a Canadian. In almost every country (especially parts of Northern Italy), when meeting locals their general reaction was, "Oh, you're American. *spit*" vs. "OMG. I LOVE CANADA!"

Thanks for the responses guys. I do want him to get in...but I'm also slightly frustrated with the situation. Which, probably stems from me being petty.

He technically got more interviews at top schools than I did, at which I've also been waitlisted (I'm on the waitlist at Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Sinai, Stanford, UCSF, Penn). Despite the fact that I've put way more effort into this cycle (and I have better clinical experiences/ECs/ research/ awards). My GPA/MCAT are only slightly worse (3.7/3.8, 35 MCAT), so if he ends up at Penn or some other great school, I will feel slightly annoyed especially after going on sooo many interviews during this process.

Thanks for the responses guys. I do want him to get in...but I'm also slightly frustrated with the situation. Which, probably stems from me being petty.

He technically got more interviews at top schools than I did, at which I've also been waitlisted (I'm on the waitlist at Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Sinai, Stanford, UCSF, Penn). Despite the fact that I've put way more effort into this cycle (and I have better clinical experiences/ECs/ research/ awards). My GPA/MCAT are only slightly worse (3.7/3.8, 35 MCAT), so if he ends up at Penn or some other great school, I will feel slightly annoyed especially after going on sooo many interviews during this process.

Admit it....you want us to compare you two and say how you deserve to get into those schools since you did more of teh "dirty" work and actually cared....

Ok, you have my vote....your buddy is smart loser....:thumbup:

Believe me, I'm not annoyed. Just resigned to the fact that I am going do even better in 4 years ;)

Dont mind it too much. Work harder to prove you are better. 4 more years before I amuse myself with new interviewers:D

I mean I do contribute some....:laugh:

I got a couple votes me thinks. but they were probably in jest :( not many appreciate my existence, but i have changed them all :D :love:

I lookey that dubby didnt vote me. How disappointing.

Btw.
Farmer A sells chickens. Farmer B sells cows.
What does Farmer C sell?

I've actually never been to Canada, so much of my perceptions of it come from friends, the media, and of course South Park episodes. I did however travel around Europe for 3 weeks on a EuroRail Pass with a Canadian. In almost every country (especially parts of Northern Italy), when meeting locals their general reaction was, "Oh, you're American. *spit*" vs. "OMG. I LOVE CANADA!"

For some reason I've heard that story before. I'm pretty sure you wrote that somewhere else on SDN?

Heh. dont worry ;) you can always move up here to work in socialized medicine when you're done med school :p
(and get your cdn citizenship)

And dont worry, I read the latest salary declarations.

A radiologist makes 400-500k+

:p

I was omgosh the surgeon in chief only makes like 420k?
and physician in chief actually makes more 450ish I think

(University Health Network in Tor)

I got a couple votes me thinks. but they were probably in jest :( not many appreciate my existence, but i have changed them all :D :love:

I lookey that dubby didnt vote me. How disappointing.

Btw.
What does Farmer C sell?

I did not vote for myself....we have too much sense of humor!! :laugh:

I did not vote for myself....we have too much sense of humor!! :laugh:

Answer the farmer riddle DUBBY!

What does Farmer C sell?

his farm because of the current economic climate.....:idea:

Lol. You lose. and fail bad..

Cat already got the answer.... like right above your post =P

Thought it might be easier for you because you can open up your own;)