A worried premed! Any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awwa19

Reaction score
Hello. I have pretty much nowhere to go to ask for advice as of right now and decided to just go ahead and post here.

I’m currently starting my junior year of undergrad as a biology major and I feel like I’m having a quarter life crisis. I had hoped and dreamed that I would apply to med schools (I’m a Texas resident studying in Texas) during the 2020 application cycle however lately I feel like everything about my application is below mediocre. I don’t think that my application would stand out in any way. I’m currently trying to make it looked polished and even tried getting a job as a medical scribe but I got rejected bc in between my class schedule and commuting as well as other responsibilities and balancing extracurriculars I have little to no availability. At this point, I don’t even know what to write about in my personal statements. I’m currently planning on going on a humanitarian medical trip for a week (one of my dreams) and have applied to several hospitals looking for volunteer opportunities. But still, I get rejected from volunteering bc of my availability. I have had this ongoing dilemma for weeks now and I have started thinking about delaying my application until the 2021 cycle (basically the end of my senior year). I feel that it will give me time to gain more experience, find research/internships, volunteer more overall improve my application as a whole including having a better gpa. Do I sound sane? Am I making the right decision to hold off on applying? Has anyone else been in this position before? Does anyone have advice to make my worries go away. Medicine for me has been my lifelong dream and at 20 years old, I have no will to give up. There’s no plan B for me.

Thanks for reading my sad story.
Sincerely,
A worried premed

Members don't see this ad.

applied to several hospitals looking for volunteer opportunities. But still, I get rejected from volunteering bc of my availability.
Just how? I am taking 15+ credits with few labs and have a part time job, and there were plenty of places who can easily adjust to my schedule and allowed me to pick any time that works best for me. Just apply broadly, hospitals and hospices are always in need of volunteers.
What is your GPA and other ECs?
If you have a job and that consumes a lot of your time just drop it, there are more important things right now that will yield you higher profits in the future.

Reactions: 1 users
Firstly, I would think long and hard about going through with applying this cycle. We are very late in the game for all Texas schools except for the ones planning to open this year (UH and SHSUCOM) as the Texas cycle runs faster than all other medical application cycles. Mid-August is getting into the “very late” range. Even if you are an exceptional applicant, it is quickly becoming unadvisable to apply right now.

I was also rejected from a scribing job because my interviewers had concerns about to rigor of my schedule. It is not an uncommon thing. However, I was never rejected from a hospital volunteering job. At my hospital, I was able to walk in 24/7, sign in, and walk up to my floor. I would imagine many hospitals also have a system like this, you just need to find one that does. I ended up raking in about 200 clinical hours beginning in my junior year.

And, for the record, you always need to have a plan B. I hear you: you want to be a doctor and want nothing else. But please have a backup plan in mind in the off-chance that things don’t work. Even if that backup plan is to do another line of work for ten years and then try again. It’s not healthy to throw yourself against the wall like a wet rag.

Members don't see this ad :)
Firstly, I would think long and hard about going through with applying this cycle. We are very late in the game for all Texas schools except for the ones planning to open this year (UH and SHSUCOM) as the Texas cycle runs faster than all other medical application cycles. Mid-August is getting into the “very late” range. Even if you are an exceptional applicant, it is quickly becoming unadvisable to apply right now.

I was also rejected from a scribing job because my interviewers had concerns about to rigor of my schedule. It is not an uncommon thing. However, I was never rejected from a hospital volunteering job. At my hospital, I was able to walk in 24/7, sign in, and walk up to my floor. I would imagine many hospitals also have a system like this, you just need to find one that does. I ended up raking in about 200 clinical hours beginning in my junior year.

And, for the record, you always need to have a plan B. I hear you: you want to be a doctor and want nothing else. But please have a backup plan in mind in the off-chance that things don’t work. Even if that backup plan is to do another line of work for ten years and then try again. It’s not healthy to throw yourself against the wall like a wet rag.

I’ve always heard that Texas schools don’t like to see gap years

Take a gap year (or 2, or 5...) and scribe or do whatever it is that you want to do now but are limited in because of your schedule. You have permission to do what feels right and not be pressured to apply immediately.

Reactions: 2 users
I may be able to help alleviate a few of your concerns by just expressing that you're not the only one who feels this way. I am going through something that is relatively similar. I am also 20, but I'm in my senior year of undergrad. My mind has been exploding with worry on how to make my application stand out, the MCAT, squeezing in volunteering, my current classes, work, my pets, it's a CF.

Just take a moment to breathe. Jumping at things when your mind is scattered is a recipe for disaster. My advice for your current situation, I think you're very wise to wait until your senior year, especially if you've got specific schools in mind. Do what you feel is right. You've got to trust something will workout. However, it is important to note that simply praying for a good outcome and that everything works according to plan is not going to guarantee that happens. You must work to achieve that (I have no doubt you are going to do this!) You must do your best to ensure your success. Your best will be good enough for someone! :)

Positive actions derive from positive thoughts. It all starts with that. But does not end with that.

Reactions: 1 user

I wasn't talking about this cycle. I was originally going to plan on applying during the 2020 application season sorry if that wasn't clear. The hospitals near me are unfortunately very picky but I haven't given up yet! I'm still currently applying to all of them so hopefully I will get one opportunity somewhere soon. And I guess you're right, my plan B would most likely be to continue on to get a Master's degree as I love the science field and I could take my Bachelor's in Biology further. Thank you for your advice! I won't give up just yet!

Just how? I am taking 15+ credits with few labs and have a part time job, and there were plenty of places who can easily adjust to my schedule and allowed me to pick any time that works best for me. Just apply broadly, hospitals and hospices are always in need of volunteers.
What is your GPA and other ECs?
If you have a job and that consumes a lot of your time just drop it, there are more important things right now that will yield you higher profits in the future.

For the last few semesters, I have been taking 18-19 hours and at least 2 labs each semester and I think thats why my schedule was more demanding. However I lightened the load this semester and I will be applying to more hospitals and clinics soon! I really want to work in more underserved communities so I'm also looking for opportunities there. Hopefully something will work out!

I will post GPA and ECs soon. Once I have reviewed both of those.

I may be able to help alleviate a few of your concerns by just expressing that you're not the only one who feels this way. I am going through something that is relatively similar. I am also 20, but I'm in my senior year of undergrad. My mind has been exploding with worry on how to make my application stand out, the MCAT, squeezing in volunteering, my current classes, work, my pets, it's a CF.

Just take a moment to breathe. Jumping at things when your mind is scattered is a recipe for disaster. My advice for your current situation, I think you're very wise to wait until your senior year, especially if you've got specific schools in mind. Do what you feel is right. You've got to trust something will workout. However, it is important to note that simply praying for a good outcome and that everything works according to plan is not going to guarantee that happens. You must work to achieve that (I have no doubt you are going to do this!) You must do your best to ensure your success. Your best will be good enough for someone! :)

Positive actions derive from positive thoughts. It all starts with that. But does not end with that.

Thank you for this! I think I just overwhelmed myself unnecessarily. I think waiting would give me a much better peace of mind. And I will definitely work to achieve my dream!

Thank you for this! I think I just overwhelmed myself unnecessarily. I think waiting would give me a much better peace of mind. And I will definitely work to achieve my dream!

I am the queen of overwhelming myself for unnessecary reasons, so I get where you are coming from. If you need anything else, feel free to reach out. The people on here have been a godsend to me!

I’ve always heard that Texas schools don’t like to see gap years

Not really. They're pretty much identical to every other school in that nation. My class probably had an average age of 23 or 24 (on matriculation). A vast majority of us are, in fact, traditional, but we have a few PhDs and nurses here too. One of us was even an anatomy professor once.

As schools increase in competitiveness, gap years become more undesirable (see: UTSW) as there are more people who did all of the stuff many of the non-traditionals have done, just much faster. It theoretically doesn't matter that you took a gap year.

I wasn't talking about this cycle. I was originally going to plan on applying during the 2020 application season sorry if that wasn't clear. The hospitals near me are unfortunately very picky but I haven't given up yet! I'm still currently applying to all of them so hopefully I will get one opportunity somewhere soon. And I guess you're right, my plan B would most likely be to continue on to get a Master's degree as I love the science field and I could take my Bachelor's in Biology further. Thank you for your advice! I won't give up just yet!

You shouldn't give up! Good luck!