A Year of Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrStraggler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading up on some requirements for some of the schools I'm interested in and they always list a year of bio,chem,physics, and orgo.

But unlike the others, Bio isn't very concrete. Like at my school, there is no Intro Bio1 & 2. It's just a bunch of Bio courses.

Right now, I'm taking Cell Bio w/Lab, if I take Animal Physio w/lab next semester, will I be okay?

I guess I'm just a bit confused because than they recommend "higher level" biology classes, and Animal Physio is a 300-level class, so is it not considered part of that one year? blehh so confusing!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure there is some sort of Bio series at your school that satisfies first-year biology. I would check with your school which courses they are.

I'm sure there is some sort of Bio series at your school that satisfies first-year biology. I would check with your school which courses they are.

Well they actually say take Cell Bio, and then some 300 course, and list a large amount of electives. So nope, nothing concrete. There's a 1 & 2 for chem, physics, and orgo, but not bio!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well they actually say take Cell Bio, and then some 300 course, and list a large amount of electives. So nope, nothing concrete. There's a 1 & 2 for chem, physics, and orgo, but not bio!
Wtf kind of school has no introductory biology course? You sure it's not called something else like Principles of Biology or something?

No, that's exactly what they tell us. They say you have to take Cell Biology, and then it's up to you what you want to do next semester as long as it's a 300-level lab course.

Just make sure the Bio course you are taking qualifies as a pre-req. For example at my school there is a General Bio and a Intro to Biological Sci. General Bio is for non-sci majors and would not qualify as a pre-req while Intro to Bio does.

No, that's exactly what they tell us. They say you have to take Cell Biology, and then it's up to you what you want to do next semester as long as it's a 300-level lab course.
That's beyond ******ed. We are talking about cell bio, as in the upper level course, right? How can a freshman take a 400 level course?

Uhh no, Cell Bio at my school is a 200-level course (213 to be exact). It's a pretty introductory course. There's a bio for non-science majors called cell bio too...but that's a 100 course and is ridic easy.

There's a few advanced cell bio courses at the 400 level but that's primarily for bio majors (I'm not a bio major). I'm probably going to take 4 or 5 Bio classes total, with only 2, maybe 3, being labs...so I need to decide which one to take!

Maybe I'll call a few med schools and see what the general consensus is!

For me, it's Cellular Biology, General Botany, and General Zoology.

For me, it's Cellular Biology, General Botany, and General Zoology.

Yeah, that's the material covered in intro bio classes. Do you have any ecology/botany bio classes OP?

Uhh no, Cell Bio at my school is a 200-level course (213 to be exact). It's a pretty introductory course. There's a bio for non-science majors called cell bio too...but that's a 100 course and is ridic easy.

There's a few advanced cell bio courses at the 400 level but that's primarily for bio majors (I'm not a bio major). I'm probably going to take 4 or 5 Bio classes total, with only 2, maybe 3, being labs...so I need to decide which one to take!

Maybe I'll call a few med schools and see what the general consensus is!
Ok, then cell bio is your school's name for the intro bio course. Mine was also called Cellular Biology, but it is not the same thing as cell bio.

Just take two bio courses that include a lab. That should satisfy the prereq.

Ok, then cell bio is your school's name for the intro bio course. Mine was also called Cellular Biology, but it is not the same thing as cell bio.
Yeah, OP I would guess the 200 level Cell Bio you're talking about is actual Cell Bio, whereas the 100 level is simply the name your school gave to the intro bio course.

Just take two bio courses that include a lab. That should satisfy the prereq.

Is it going to be ok with all med schools? Just 2 bio courses+lab? Can you take 300-level classes instead of intro biology I and II?

I think higher level biology is not necessary, unless its your major.

But it's fine, nobody will look down on you for taking advanced classes and not having intro bio on my transcript? Is that true for other classes?
I know the material in intro bio thanks to lab research, the international equivalent of AP, auditing classes at local college in HS, and personal study (Campbell and Reece).

My undergrad university did not offer a full year of introductory bio back when I was a freshman in '08. Only one semester + lab. They only recently started the full year of freshman bio for the current incoming freshmen. I took Microbio + lab later and the medschools so far have counted that as my complete "2 semesters". I think that's probably what the students who had graduated and gone on to medschool in the years before me had to do to complete that pre-req. But no, Physio does not count as the pre-req, and Cellular/Molecular Biology usually wouldn't either, but I guess since your school has a slightly different system, just explain that to the medschools if it comes up, surely they'll understand :)

Every school's different, like at my university, Ecology and Botany are 300 level advanced courses, whereas I see some of you say your school's Botany will complete an introductory bio pre-req