A year off - When should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jinsoojoo

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to take a year off after I graduate and I want to go to med-school after that. Should I apply my senior year and deffer, or should I wait to apply until I will be attending med-school the following fall?
I appreciate your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

I would wait till the following fall. You will be a better candidate once you are out and have a little life experience. Plus you will have more time and patience for the process if you aren't in school. But, if you are planning on going abroad for a year and won't be able to get back for interviews or have a job that is not very flexible then senior year may be better. I have actually am applying during my second year off...and couldn't have made a better choice. Good luck.

Not sure what schools you are interested in applying to, but I am sure that not all schools are incredibly flexible when it comes to granting deferrals.

UCSD said that they were quite liberal in granting one year deferrals, but that is just one school. I would imagine that some other schools would only do so in the case of dire emergencies or really good reasons.