A year out of school and working.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Antonious

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there!

I'll get right to the point:

I've finished my Bachelor's in December 2010 and decided to not immediately apply to med school because of a few things(among others) :

1.) My cum GPA is at a 2.59(haven't calculated science yet). Honestly, I didn't take my undergrad seriously for various reasons.
2.)I had no relevant clinical experience(which plays into reason 1).
3.)and I haven't taken my MCATs

After working as a patient transporter at my local hospital for some time, I'd really like to start preparing to apply. Given my situation, I'm open to any viable path to becoming a physician.

I've been trolling the forums for months, and I just decided to get off my ass and post something for some serious feedback.

Please be blunt; if I were to take my MCATs and complete my apps for the next cycle, what are my chances?
((Probably sound out of my mind because I haven't slept from trolling the forums for so long. So if there are any gaps that need to be filled, just let me know!))

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there!

I've finished my Bachelor's in December 2010 and decided to not immediately apply to med school because of a few things(among others) :

1.) My cum GPA is at a 2.59(haven't calculated science yet). Honestly, I didn't take my undergrad seriously for various reasons.

After working as a patient transporter at my local hospital for some time, I'd really like to start preparing to apply. Given my situation, I'm open to any viable path to becoming a physician.

I've been trolling the forums for months, and I just decided to get off my ass and post something for some serious feedback.

Please be blunt; if I were to take my MCATs and complete my apps for the next cycle, what are my chances?
((Probably sound out of my mind because I haven't slept from trolling the forums for so long. So if there are any gaps that need to be filled, just let me know!))
To be blunt, without taking classes to boost your GPA, you have no realistic chances with that low of a GPA. Wait on the MCAT until your GPA is repaired. Adcoms won't forgive and forget your GPA simply because you say "I didn't take school seriously before, but I will now" unless you demonstrate it with several semesters of very high (~4.0) grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
You chances are ZERO. Your GPA is well below the minimum requirements for all medical schools.

Hey there!

Thanks for the reply!

Assuming that I input everything correctly, that sits my sGPA at a ~2.4. Re-taking either my pre-reqs or my upper level science courses and acing them would only bring it up to about ~2.8. The number of courses total is about 12(liberally counting) and would probably take say over a year. I definitely would like to retake these courses, but if it doesn't even bring me over a 3.0, I'm starting to get worried.

Thanks for the reply!

Assuming that I input everything correctly, that sits my sGPA at a ~2.4. Re-taking either my pre-reqs or my upper level science courses and acing them would only bring it up to about ~2.8. The number of courses total is about 12(liberally counting) and would probably take say over a year. I definitely would like to retake these courses, but if it doesn't even bring me over a 3.0, I'm starting to get worried.
What is bringing down your GPA so much if re-taking those classes would result in a GPA still <3.0?

What is bringing down your GPA so much if re-taking those classes would result in a GPA still <3.0?
Among my science courses, I have an F and three D's. Those are the black marks I can outright tell you now that's bringing me down. I'd like to show that I am serious about my academics by re-taking them, but doubting that may be worth it.