QR 19
RC 15
BIO 20
GC 22
OC 23
TS 22
AA 20
oGPA 3.32 sGPA 3.24
Been doing research on Oral Biofilms and will be writing a Capstone Masters thesis on it. Have plenty of shadowing and volunteering hours. I've been an Organic Chemistry TA for two years.
My father is a NYU dental graduate.
I'm really worried about the RC 15. Do I have any chance of getting any interviews?

ncide

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I would plan on a retake since the RC is rather important and is most correlated with performance in dental school. It's worth applying since I think you still have a chance but that 15 in RC may hold you back.

Last edited:
Reactions: LuckBloodandSweat

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status
Non-Student
My 2nd DAT scores:
PAT 19
QR 19
RC 15
BIO 20
GC 22
OC 23
TS 22
AA 20
oGPA 3.32 sGPA 3.24
Been doing research on Oral Biofilms and will be writing a Capstone Masters thesis on it. Have plenty of shadowing and volunteering hours. I've been an Organic Chemistry TA for two years.
My father is a NYU dental graduate.
I'm really worried about the RC 15. Do I have any chance of getting any interviews?
Congratulastions ncide!! All your scores are great, especially your sciences. The 15 in reading is very low but I have worked with students that have been accepted with a 15 in reading . It will definitely help that you dad is an alumni. Make sure you have a strong personal statement that opens the door to an interview. Be VERY prepared with a response if you get asked on an interview what happened in the reading.. Dental schools frown at low reading scores because of the vast amount of reading that is required in dental school.

Wishing you the best and why not call NYU with your stats and get their advice.

Nancy

Last edited:

Charles_Darwin

2+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
I really hope you don't need a retake but be prepared for the possibility! And some potential good news ;my uncle is an NYU alumni and he writes rec letters for his pre dental interns and i believe they've all gotten in, so there's a good chance the alumni thing helps!

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status
Non-Student
I really hope you don't need a retake but be prepared for the possibility! And some potential good news ;my uncle is an NYU alumni and he writes rec letters for his pre dental interns and i believe they've all gotten in, so there's a good chance the alumni thing helps!
Agreed!

OP
B
Aug 21, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
Thank you for the giving me some hope! I have two rec letters from NYU graduate dentists (of course other than my father)

IranBrooklyn77

2+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
i took my exam last year had 19aa and 21 ts but i did not get accept because i had 15 in english and math. they never question math but they ask me about english keep in mind english is my second language. I came to US about 11 years ago and it seems that dental schools dont really care. I got 26 on bio and 22 on gen chem and 19 on orgo. also doing masters program just to keep it real and be realistic call the schools and ask but I am retaking my exam because no one on SDN can tell you if you are going to get accept or not. By the way dentistry is not the same any more. thats my opinion and that is one reason why I dont ask no one because no one on SDN can give you straight answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: orgoman22