AA: 22, PAT: 19, but RC: 18, should I write the DAT again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems to be a competitive applicant this coming cycle, you need around 19 and above score. My overall Acadmic is 21 and PAT 19, but my Reading score is 18 which is abit low. Do you think it's worth to time to retake it again just b/c I want to improve reading? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It seems to be a competitive applicant this coming cycle, you need around 19 and above score. My overall Acadmic is 21 and PAT 19, but my Reading score is 18 which is abit low. Do you think it's worth to time to retake it again just b/c I want to improve reading? Thank you!

So what is it 22 or 21?

Members don't see this ad :)
really depends...how stupid are you? I'd say if you're really stupid...I'd take it again.

Seriously, an 18 in a single subject won't kill your acceptance. What it will do is limit where you are accepted. There are a few schools that take RC very seriously, but will overlook it if you have higher scores in other areas. Don't expect to get into UNLV with an 18 RC from out of state. Don't expect Pacific to jump all over you or Harvard or Columbia. But many other schools wouldn't think twice about an 18.

Besides...how do you plan to raise that score. Of all the areas of the DAT that you can study and improve, RC isn't one of those that this is easily done. How exactly do you plan to increase RC?

Isn't an 18 in RC like 50th percentile? Not glaringly impressive, but 18 sounds average. The RC is inflated for most versions of the test, meaning you will see higher scores in that category as a norm.

I think a 20 is 69th percentile, a 25 was 97th for my test.

Well... I got a 17 in QR and got into Pacific. Did really well on everything else though. One lowish score isnt going to kill you, just like one freakishly high score aint going to make you. With an AA of 22, you should do pretty well. The other question is how is your GPA. If that is low, then I would say re-take.