1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

AA: 22, PAT: 19, but RC: 18, should I write the DAT again?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Smooth Operater, May 11, 2007.

1. Smooth Operater

Smooth Operater don't bug "operatEr"!
    5+ Year Member

It seems to be a competitive applicant this coming cycle, you need around 19 and above score. My overall Acadmic is 21 and PAT 19, but my Reading score is 18 which is abit low. Do you think it's worth to time to retake it again just b/c I want to improve reading? Thank you!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BodybldgDoc

BodybldgDoc Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

4. DailyDrivenTJ

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    So what is it 22 or 21?

5. djeffreyt

djeffreyt Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    really depends...how stupid are you? I'd say if you're really stupid...I'd take it again.

Seriously, an 18 in a single subject won't kill your acceptance. What it will do is limit where you are accepted. There are a few schools that take RC very seriously, but will overlook it if you have higher scores in other areas. Don't expect to get into UNLV with an 18 RC from out of state. Don't expect Pacific to jump all over you or Harvard or Columbia. But many other schools wouldn't think twice about an 18.

Besides...how do you plan to raise that score. Of all the areas of the DAT that you can study and improve, RC isn't one of those that this is easily done. How exactly do you plan to increase RC?

6. blasterx

2+ Year Member

Don't underestimate this guy.

7. dddsmack

dddsmack my baby and I
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Isn't an 18 in RC like 50th percentile? Not glaringly impressive, but 18 sounds average. The RC is inflated for most versions of the test, meaning you will see higher scores in that category as a norm.

I think a 20 is 69th percentile, a 25 was 97th for my test.

8. jmick101

jmick101 Kung Fu DDS
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Well... I got a 17 in QR and got into Pacific. Did really well on everything else though. One lowish score isnt going to kill you, just like one freakishly high score aint going to make you. With an AA of 22, you should do pretty well. The other question is how is your GPA. If that is low, then I would say re-take.