AA long-term job security? (Need insight, not looking to start an argument!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IrishTwins

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I know this is likely to start an argument, but I really hope it doesn't.

I was considering medical school very strongly, but have decided that because I'm already 22 and still have a couple of years before I get my bachelor's, and I already have two young children, medical school is just not a commitment of time, money, or energy that I can reasonably make.

I still love science, however, and anatamy and physiology... I'm considering AA as a possible career choice.

My only concern is job security. With the strong resistance from CRNA's, and the relative ignorance or fear regarding AA's and hiring them - is it possibly that as an AA, I might find myself out of a job several years down the road?

Also, if that were to happen - JWK maybe you can help here - would there be any other employment opportunities, or would the coursework for the AA transfer to any other masters, or even possibly medical school?

Last, with the competition between CRNA's and AA's, the income is bound to decrease at some point. If this happens, what do you think the worst case scenario would be? (i.e. 50,000 versus 100+?)

Thanks in advance.

ETA: JWK - How difficult is it to find employment as an AA currently?

Members don't see this ad.

Plenty of jobs in Georgia. Should be the same in other states where AAs are licensed. AA does exactly the same job as a directed CRNA. As long as anesthetists are needed, you will find a job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Plenty of jobs in Georgia. Should be the same in other states where AAs are licensed. AA does exactly the same job as a directed CRNA. As long as anesthetists are needed, you will find a job.

50K sign on bonus here at emory in atlanta.

May be limited geographically but should still find a good job.

AAs will be common in many states. It takes time to push through the legal process. CA will have them in a few years. Many state societies are pushing to have them. Stay tuned. Future is bright.

Docs like team players.

PA's and AA's are team players.

Future is bright.