1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

AAA rupture and COPD

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by Kazu, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Kazu

Kazu Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Anyone know why COPD increases your risk of a AAA rupture.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Kalel

Kalel Membership Revoked
    Removed

COPD is probably only associated with AAA ruptures because it is closely associated with smoking. Smoking is a major risk factor for developing an AAA, probably secondary to things like endothelial damage and promoting athersclerosis, similar to the way that causes coronary artery disease.

4. Kazu

Kazu Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    From what I could find it sounds like people who get COPD also tend to get AAA. One source said that a similar mechanism is at work destroying lung paranchema and destroying the aorta. So they are 2 associated but independent pathologies. But I have also read that if you have a AAA then COPD is a risk factor for rupture, which sounds like COPD is somehow increasing the risk of rupture. But I have been unable to find any source or person explain how COPD can increase the risk of AAA rupture. I guess it doesnt matter anyway.