AAA rupture and COPD

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by Kazu, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Kazu

Kazu Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Anyone know why COPD increases your risk of a AAA rupture.

2. Kalel

Kalel Membership Revoked
    Removed

COPD is probably only associated with AAA ruptures because it is closely associated with smoking. Smoking is a major risk factor for developing an AAA, probably secondary to things like endothelial damage and promoting athersclerosis, similar to the way that causes coronary artery disease.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Kazu

Kazu Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    From what I could find it sounds like people who get COPD also tend to get AAA. One source said that a similar mechanism is at work destroying lung paranchema and destroying the aorta. So they are 2 associated but independent pathologies. But I have also read that if you have a AAA then COPD is a risk factor for rupture, which sounds like COPD is somehow increasing the risk of rupture. But I have been unable to find any source or person explain how COPD can increase the risk of AAA rupture. I guess it doesnt matter anyway.