aacom still refused to change its politically biased, and illogical application!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by youngjock, Sep 20, 2002.

1. youngjock

youngjock Banned
    Banned

I have personally sent a complain to aacom [email protected].

Their application still remains the same!

Why is aacom is low efficient. It is probably just a communist of its own! No wonder there is few patient even know what a DO is.

aacom is obviously not doing a good job!

---------------

when i was trying to fill out the online form, i found out that this org. is very politicaly biased!

it listed the two Korea as

"korea,
    korea, north."

I don't know who did this form. that is so unintelligent.

there is no such thing as two countries with "korea, and Korea, north."

the person should have put it as "korea, north; korea, south."

second, it listed "people's republic of china" as

"China, communist."

There is just no such a country in the world with the legal name of "china, communist!" Even Bush knows! And to most people in this country, anything about communist is bad. it is like listing south central los angeles as "black ghetto la." And the person who came from that area is forced to choose it, becaus s/he has no choice!

then it listed another "China!"
    with the name of "China, republic of (taiwan)."

we know, usa only recognizes one China, that is Pepole's republic of China. "republic of china" was abolished in 1949.

I checked out aamc's application, they are very right. They listed China as China, and two koreas with their full names, taiwan as (province of China.)

who is working for aacom? with such a politically biased application, it really makes me wonder if i want to be a do. someone change it already! we all need to send personal emails to aacom, tell them about this politically biased application!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. youngjock

youngjock Banned
    Banned

Their application still remains the same!

Why is aacom is low efficient. It is probably just a communist of its own! No wonder there is few patient even know what a DO is.

aacom is obviously not doing a good job!

by the way, david511 from pcom sucks. that person does not know me, he called me - a stranger an idiot. I think that he is an idiot of his own kind.

also who picks out the monitors on here? the monitor deleted my post regarding idiot davind511, but s/he did not delete the post that david511's slanderous post about me!

---------------

when i was trying to fill out the online form, i found out that this org. is very politicaly biased!

"korea,
    korea, north."

"China, communist."

There is just no such a country in the world with the legal name of "china, communist!" Even Bush knows! And to most people in this country, anything about communist is bad. it is like listing south central los angeles as "black ghetto la." And the person who came from that area is forced to choose it, becaus s/he has no choice!

we know, usa only recognizes one China, that is Pepole's republic of China. "republic of china" was abolished in 1949.

I checked out aamc's application, they are very right. They listed China as China, and two koreas with their full names, taiwan as (province of China.)

who is working for aacom? with such a politically biased application, it really makes me wonder if i want to be a do. someone change it already! we all need to send personal emails to aacom, tell them about this politically biased application!

4. blike

blike Senior Member

brb I'm going to go laugh.

5. youngjock

youngjock Banned
    Banned

when i was trying to fill out the online form, i found out that this org. is very politicaly biased and illogical!

"korea,
    korea, north."

"China, communist."

Their application still remains the same after a MONTH!

6. youngjock

youngjock Banned
    Banned

are you laughing at aacom's illogical application and its low effcient on changing its own error? i agree.

7. dpark74

dpark74 Senior Member

Ummmmmmmm....is this the PRE-ALLOPATHIC forum or what?!!!! AACOM ??!! Please go away and go to the appropriate forum.

:D

8. youngjock

youngjock Banned
    Banned

are you saying that there is no one on this board that is not applying to aacom?

9. agent

agent agent, RN

10. lola

lola Bovine Member

well, aren't we all in bad moods today?!

i'm not applying to aacom, but i'm sure there are some on this board who are.

i can't believe they put china, communist on their app. maybe they just took it from some other listing and didn't really check what it said... we can only hope!

11. dpark74

dpark74 Senior Member

Not really...actually I am happy.

12. youngjock

youngjock Banned
    Banned

i know.

you are happy that you are not from

"korea, or
    Korea, North"

or

"China, communist."

you wonder why aacom didn't put "Cuba, Communist," "vietnam, communist," "south central los angeles, black ghetto." on the list?

13. lola

lola Bovine Member

don't get too worked up over it! i doubt anyone meant to upset anyone. i recently found out that calling someone "oriental" is offensive. i had no idea before that, but i certainly didn't mean any harm by it!
    maybe you could just write them a little note saying you're concerned that their wording may be offensive to some and should be changed.

14. kappapiomega

kappapiomega Member

NO!! I think he is laughing at your ridiculous quest for what you feel is justice. So what if they refer to China as communist and Korea as south and just Korea!!!!! There are more important things in this world to worry about. When it comes to biased aspects about the application, I think we should worry about the fact that you are required to state that you are an under represented minority. That is a bunch of crap!!!! Why should somebody be allowed to get in with lower stats simply because they are a minority? That is not fair. So get over your argument that nobody cares about and stop posting!!!!

By the way, if you are going to post, please try to do it in somewhat understandable grammar!!

15. gower

gower 1K Member

FOR IOLA:

You deserve to be a physician if for no other reason than being someone who can see alternative, and non-negative reasons, for behavior. You will probably excel at differential diagnosis. And you will surely be able to speak with patients honestly without frightening them. Too bad I am not on an Admissions committee.

Live long and prosper!

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. metsn02

metsn02 Senior Member

youngjock,

Get over yourself and find something to do. I wasn't going to even respond to your pleas for acceptance from the sdn community over this issue however you have posted this topic now for the fourth time as a thread while posting the same exact thread on multiple forums which I believe is not cool with alot of sdners who have real questions and concerns that pertain to their applications. You've made your point and sent them a letter. If you are really having a problem with a central application website that has very little to do with the actual institutions that it services, by all means pull your application and move on. If I remember right, last year when I applied to both allopathic and osteopathic medical schools, it was AMCAS not AACOMAS who was responsible for thousands of delayed applications and countless complaints about the professionalism of the allopathic school application process.

In summation youngjock, forget about this nitpicking AACOMAS nonsense and go out and have some fun, play some ball, go out with a hot chick, spend time with your family and friends, because this time next year when are sitting where I am you will appreciate all of their support and time that you ONCE had. It may be the only thing that keeps you ahead of the pressures and rigors that you are about to embark upon.
    -peace

18. SuzyQ

SuzyQ Senior Member

Geez o peetz....there is no reason to get so worked up!! I think you are blowing this waaaaaaaaaay out of proportion. Yes I agree that AACOMA has made a mistake but you do not have to attack AACOMAS and start criticizing DO''s. Now, calm down a bit and if you arent going to apply DO just because of that reason then I think thats for the best......we dont need DO's with such as bad temper as yours.

Oh, I agree with kappa......please try and type on the level of an educated adult as opposed to a 5th grader.

19. bubbawv

bubbawv New Member

If this is the worst thing happening in your life - it (your life) must be absolutely wonderful. When I was in your shoes, I was more concerned with getting into medical school than anything else. And, if you can't deal with things better than this... you probably should reconsider becoming an osteopath. Reacting (overreacting)the way you have, does not reflect well on you during this application process. You should treat others in a mature and respectful manner (isn't that what you want?). Or, are you one of those people who beleive they should be treated better than they treat others?

20. blike

blike Senior Member

You already posted this thread HERE and HERE and HERE and HERE

Why the repost? Is this supposed to be some sort of jab against osteopathy? I don't get it?

The line that really gets me is:

Nice life.

21. rpames

rpames Optometrist

Optometrist
    Hold up everyone. youngjock may be reacting strongly to this, but perhaps it is for good reason. youngjock may have convictions that are different than yours and mine, but let us not attack because he is trying to change things. I believe youngjock is correct in wanting these changes, but I just don't feel strongly enough to do anything about. We claim to be the tolerant country, but most of us don't really care how we perceive other countries.

22. Fenrezz

Fenrezz AT Stills Worst Nightmare

God have mercy on us all: please decide not to be a DO. You're the last person the profession needs.

If you're seriously this uptight and anal about how AACOMAS names countries, trust me, you're going to have a nervous breakdown in medical school.

23. jhug

jhug 1K Member

AMEN!!! Pick your battles buddy-- then move on! Take pride in the fact that you stood up for what you believe in-- and don't belittle it by moaning and pleading for more attention.

24. youngjock

youngjock Banned
    Banned

If jesse jackson did not protest on one Oscar occasion, do you think that two black person could have won the Oscar's best actor and best actress last year?!

I find that it is hard to believe that so many do-wannabes and so many do students are so apathetic!

aacom is illogical and politically biased, don't you think that you should let them know, so they can change? why do you want to be a do? Because it lets you to keep your own ignorance just like itself?

aacom has ignored my complain, it is time to start a grassroot movement. I posted here to make people aware of aacom's shortcomings.

I certainly hope that there are some of you who would help aacom to change!

25. youngjock

youngjock Banned
    Banned

That is very fair, becase you as a white person, you can go to a free public school with all the nice equipments and nice knowledgable teachers. many non-white children have no choice but to go to those low quality schools in their own neighborhood.

And you as a white person, you already have advantage ahead of non-whites, because you started with good education since grade 1.

those non-white students were not able to start with a solid foundation, how can you expect them to compete with you later on when they get into college?

26. youngjock

youngjock Banned
    Banned

why do you want to be a do? how are you going to handle patients who have different political views? Because they don't agree with your point view, are you going to give them less treatment?

those people who are in charge of aacom will not live forever, their biased political views will not stay forever. They need to change. And you probably need to change, too. the 9/11 terrorists did not hijacked planes to kill people in korea, China or cuba. They died for a reason.

simply because you don't care, that does not mean it is ok to let it to stand.

aacom MUST change. how can it claim to treat its applicants equally when it already put negativity on their origins?

27. youngjock

youngjock Banned
    Banned

i have sent my complain to aacom, they refuse to change. their returning email was something like "thank you for writing."

That is just absurd. If they used the N word to describe black people, are they going to write another email to jesse jackson "thank you for mentioning?"

if jesse jackson did not protest Oscar, those two black people couldn't have won the best actor, actress.

If you agree with me, write your complains to [email protected], [email protected].

28. tkim

tkim 10 cc's cordrazine
    Physician

Attending Physician
    To all those reading this thread, youngjock has posted on this subject at least *five* separate times.

While the wording of the AACOMAS online app may not be politically correct, the *most* anyone should do about it is send a politely-worded email to them asking them to perhaps clarify the choices in some standard way.

Youngjock's example of racist terms as an analogous situation is flawed at best, and deliberately inflammatory.

But his subject title says it all:

aacom sucks - don't apply to their schools?!

I happen to think AMCAS sucks in a big way, but does that preclude me from applying to allo schools? No way in hell.

In another thread, he states that because of the wording on the AACOMAS online app, there is no wonder why "no one knows what a do is".

Again, flawed logic and inflammatory to boot.

It's quite obvious that he has a wild political hair across his ass. The least we can do is ignore him, consciously, or using software. Obviously, by the lack of response to his five *other* postings, he should have a clue that his message is unimportant to others, but no ... If he persists, I don't mind complaining about him to SDN. I suggest you do the same if you feel strongly enough about it.

- Tae

29. youngjock

youngjock Banned
    Banned

don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.

I will ignore your other part of the post, why don't you just tell everyone if you have personally sent an email to aacom, and ask them to change their politically discrminative and illogical application?

You are not a black person, then you won't care if someone called your part of town a black ghetto. your apathetic doesn't mean that it is ok to let the ignorance to persist.

how many of you have sent your complains to aacom? you probably thought that jesse jackson was "Again, flawed logic and inflammatory to boot." If the Oscar committee also ignored his protest, then two oscars couldn't have been given to two blacks last year.

it is unimportant to you, that does not mean that you are right. You are apathetic towards others, then why do you want to be a doctor at the first place?

30. marleybfour

marleybfour Senior Member

This post is a joke....right????

I can't believe that someone who is applying to medical school can use such poor grammar.

Youngjock, you are just pulling our legs...right????

31. Fenrezz

Fenrezz AT Stills Worst Nightmare

Good lord, this guy needs about $750,000 worth of very cheap therapy.

Someone better call AACOMAS headquarters and tell them to invest in bomb sniffing dogs.

32. jhug

jhug 1K Member

people--- youngjock is ALL OVER the allopathic threads--with very good grammar i would add. This person is a loser with NOTHING better to do with his/her time than to write and see what kind of responses he/she can get. Look at all the CONSECUTIVE posts--that is screaming LOSER!!! Do you have the little email notification letting you know of EVERY SINGLE POST, or do you waste your ENTIRE day on the net???

END OF STORY--YOUR POINT IS MADE---PLEASE DON'T POST THIS ALL OVER STUDENTDOCTOR ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i would say i admire your drive and passion but in truth i find it really, really annoying.

33. womansurg

womansurg it's a hard life...

Hey, I just signed up and I'm receiving those annoying email notifications everytime somebody adds to a thread on which I've posted...

How the hell do I turn that thing off?? (I'll wait for the annoying email to arrive to let me know that someone has answered...)

Also, how do you quote correctly, so that the author appears with the quote?

Thanks!

34. jhug

jhug 1K Member

WS--as you post something scroll down a bit and you'll see
    "options"--- to not get the emails un-click email notification. what i do to quote is i'll highlight what i wish to quote, go to "edit" on the task bar, click on "copy", then i click the "quote" option just above where you write a reply. i then right-click in the window that opens for the quote and click "paste"-- most, if not all of what you highlight should appear in the quote box thing, and you are set:)

what kind of surg do you want to be???

35. youngjock

youngjock Banned
    Banned

You all probably think that jesse jackson was annoying when he organized to protest oscar for not nominating any blacks.

Look what he had done, spoiled the whole happiness of Oscar. but a few years later, two blacks won the best acotr and best actress.

you think that this is annoying, because you are apathetic. how can you be a doctor of any sort if you don't care?!

If you think that I am "annoying," then why don't you send your complains to aacom and tell them that you think that it is really politically discrminative to name "China, communist," and it is very illogical to name two korea as "korea; and Korea, North."

persitance can move a moutain!

36. jhug

jhug 1K Member

"he who thinks he is raising a mound may only in reality be digging a pit"
    ernest bramah

37. womansurg

womansurg it's a hard life...

Hey jhug,

I got my annoying email today with your good instructions - thanks for the help! :clap:

Actually I'm in my final year of surgery residency. I'll be doing general surgery out west.

Thanks again!

38. jhug

jhug 1K Member

WS-- where, may i ask, are you doing your residency and where do you think to practice??? My heart is in surgery-- that and peds. But i'm always interested to hear the experiences of others in this particular field. Do you plan to stick to gen surg or sub-specialize??