danno6623

2+ Year Member
May 7, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Does anyone know what to do if you don't have a tax return for the 2019-2020 fee waiver? My income was under the filing cutoff...

Vertu

2+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
  2. Pre-Optometry
  3. Pre-Pharmacy
To qualify for a fee waiver, you must have either have filed a 2018 Federal Income Tax Return Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ with an adjusted gross income that falls below the Low Income Level, or been listed as a dependent on a filed 2018 Federal Income Tax Return Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ with an adjusted gross income that falls below the Low Income Level. If you were claimed as a dependent by a parent or guardian on their 2018 Federal Income Tax Return, AACOMAS requires you to use that individual's Federal Income Tax Return instead of your own.

What if you AND both your parents don't work and don't have a tax return?

Reactions: 1 user

danno6623

2+ Year Member
May 7, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

I'm in a similar situation. I didn't make enough to file and am not claimed as a dependent on my parents' tax returns.

About the Ads

jamaica jan sun princess

Future Pediatric Cardio-Oncologist Neurosurgeon
2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student

You can still file a tax return if you're under the income limit.

Does anyone know what to do if you don't have a tax return for the 2019-2020 fee waiver? My income was under the filing cutoff...

If you weren't claimed by your parents, file a late tax return. You won't be penalized because you don't owe anything and you'll have the tax info you need for the fee waiver

danno6623

2+ Year Member
May 7, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
You can still file a tax return if you're under the income limit.

If you weren't claimed by your parents, file a late tax return. You won't be penalized because you don't owe anything and you'll have the tax info you need for the fee waiver

Wouldn't that process take months though? By then it'd be too late in the cycle to even get a fee waiver...

jamaica jan sun princess

2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2018
Status (Visible)
Wouldn't that process take months though? By then it'd be too late in the cycle to even get a fee waiver...

I'm not sure how long it takes for a late return to be processed. I would assume it's relatively quick because tax season is over. Usually it takes only a few weeks during tax season.

It's free to file online, so worth a try

Vertu

2+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
  2. Pre-Optometry
  3. Pre-Pharmacy
They just repeated that they require a 2018 tax return form for consideration

This is really unfortunate. Because of living situations at home, I can only work so many hours. My parents don't work. I might have to take out a loan just to pay the application fee for DO schools. I wish the AACOMAS fee waiver process was the same as AMCAS.

danno6623

2+ Year Member
May 7, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm not sure how long it takes for a late return to be processed. I would assume it's relatively quick because tax season is over. Usually it takes only a few weeks during tax season.

It's free to file online, so worth a try

Thanks for the advice! I'll try calling the IRS to see if they can give me a rough estimate of how long it'd take to receive the tax refund transcripts after filing.

danno6623

2+ Year Member
May 7, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
This is really unfortunate. Because of living situations at home, I can only work so many hours. My parents don't work. I might have to take out a loan just to pay the application fee for DO schools. I wish the AACOMAS fee waiver process was the same as AMCAS.

Same. Hopefully this late filing process works out in time

jamaica jan sun princess

2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2018
Status (Visible)
Thanks for the advice! I'll try calling the IRS to see if they can give me a rough estimate of how long it'd take to receive the tax refund transcripts after filing.

Honestly, you might want to use Credit Karma or Free Tax USA and file ASAP. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes total to file.

danno6623

2+ Year Member
May 7, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
For any future readers of this thread, if you didn't file because your income was below the threshold (and you're not a dependent), your only option is the file late so you can obtain your tax return transcripts so you can send them in to AACOMAS. Because your income is low, there's almost no chance you'll incur any penalties for filing late. The IRS calculates penalties based on how much you owe, which shouldn't apply to you if your income is below the filing threshold.

After calling the IRS, I was given an estimated 3-week processing time before I'll be able to access my tax return transcripts. I suggest not only filing ASAP, but also setting up an IRS account ASAP so you can obtain your tax return transcripts once they're done being processed. The IRS account setup can take weeks if they can't associate your identity which your phone number (which happened to me), because they have to mail your security code so you can finish setting up you account. Therefore, take care of this when you file so there isn't a delay in being able to access your tax transcript.

For filing, I used the TurboTax Free File Program, which was extremely simple and fast. The link is TurboTax® Free File Program, Free File Alliance, Intuit Tax Freedom Project

For setting up your IRS account to view your tax transcript once it's available, go to View Your Tax Account | Internal Revenue Service

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads