AACOMAS Frequently Asked Questions - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I am still taking some classes that end in June, should I wait to verify all my transcripts till then? Or can I have AACOMAS verify what I have so far?

My goal is to apply June 1st while addressing that I am still finishing up some classes.

I should also add that two of the classes I am currently enrolled are prereqs. (behavioral science and english).

Members don't see this ad.

If I am still taking some classes that end in June, should I wait to verify all my transcripts till then? Or can I have AACOMAS verify what I have so far?

My goal is to apply June 1st while addressing that I am still finishing up some classes.

I should also add that two of the classes I am currently enrolled are prereqs. (behavioral science and english).

This is the first question answered in the FAQ...

Members don't see this ad :)
But the courses I am taking are prereqs.

Most schools will look at your application even without finishing the prereqs. They just want you to finish them before you matriculate.
But it depends on the school too. i.e some do not want more than 3 still in progress.

Most schools will look at your application even without finishing the prereqs. They just want you to finish them before you matriculate.
But it depends on the school too. i.e some do not want more than 3 still in progress.

This maybe just paranoid questioning, but then from what you are saying, they won't just cut me out then without the verified transcript from the institution I am taking these courses right?

Yes and I talked to my professor/adviser about it today. His son is going to be a MS4 at MSUCOM this coming year. He said the evaluation form questions are those that you would answer in a LOR so he plans to write me a normal LOR, then once I get the form, he'll just tweak it to whatever they ask. i.e. How well does this student know about the osteopathic philosophy? How likely are they to complete the program? Etc.

Stupid, yes, but I'd love to stay in-state. It sucks they don't have an interview though, my app is good, but I believe my social skills will sell me.

I had one of my LOR writers fill out the evaluation form and then attach the LOR they originally wrote me. I personally think the evaluation forms are one of the most important parts of the application.

PM me if you need any help. I'll be starting this June, and I could go on and on about what makes MSUCOM such an amazing school.

I had one of my LOR writers fill out the evaluation form and then attach the LOR they originally wrote me. I personally think the evaluation forms are one of the most important parts of the application.

PM me if you need any help. I'll be starting this June, and I could go on and on about what makes MSUCOM such an amazing school.

Cool, thanks man.

This maybe just paranoid questioning, but then from what you are saying, they won't just cut me out then without the verified transcript from the institution I am taking these courses right?

Don't worry, as long as its 2 or less pre-reqs you will be fine, just be sure to label them as in progress and update your app when your transcript comes out. In all likelihood, barely anyone will even physically see your app until after June.

Is it ok to start submitting transcripts this week?

I believe so, but if you want to be safe, you can wait until Monday. At this point if you submit them between now and around the 20th, they should see it and sort it prior to you submitting your app.

Question about LMU's secondary. They say you can start filling it out anytime. I was wondering when is the earliest you can submit it? Can you submit it before your primary gets verified?

Wait until they get your primary.

Thanks for starting this thread up. I was a little confused by a few of the AACOMAS instructions in regards to filling out course work and grades.

In the instructions it says that if you have a course that substitutes for English, list it as English and send an email to AACOMAS. Within the application if you click the link for help filling out coursework it says list the course as English and then mention that at the end of your personal statement.... I have no idea what to do. I emailed them anyway, was just curious to see if anyone had run into that problem before?

Also, in regards to labs that are included within classes, do you have to give proof to AACOMAS? Or is this more of something that individual schools deal later on?

Don't have to give any proof. Almost all of my classes had the labs included, just list the class how it's listed on your transcript.

I'm confused because it seems actually rather different than AMCAS in that within AMCAS they just tell you to change the course title to so and so plus lab.

TL;DR : How do you list a course that isn't an English course but counts for your English requirement and How do you list a General Biology course that has a lab portion included but doesn't indicate as such in the title.

Counts for your English req at your University? Just list it as what it is on your transcript. I had a Microbiology course that counted as a History req at my University and was confused on how to list it when I applied, too. I listed it as exactly the way my transcript listed it.

Thanks!

See red answers above

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we enter shadowing and clinical experiences under Extracurricular, Volunteer, Community Service section of AACOMAS? Or is this section strictly for the above mentioned items?

Thanks BuddyTheElf

So just to clarify, AACOMAS themselves do not check to see if you have met the pre-reqs? They just verify that everything you listed in coursework and grades is accurate based on your transcript?

Individual schools that accept you will verify you have met their requirements?

Thank you.

They list the courses that are pre-reqs in the summary in your app. They will verify that they are classes as you have listed. As long as they sound/seem like they fulfill the requirement it should be fine. Obviously the schools will eventually verify them, but if you are worried, you could always contact AACOMAS directly.

The only other school that I know of that prefers their own evaluation forms is OU-HCOM, but it accepts regular LORs from interfolio instead. There may be others with an evaluation form, but I believe they all accept regular LORs (except MSU-COM of course).

If they are in the same field, etc. then I don't see why you would need to send both at the same time, but its really up to you. Just make sure to send your stronger letter first.

Most actually do not do this. Some do. It varies by school.

No. They only see what is on the primary, i.e. the courses, grades, semester, etc. I'm surprised your school even mentions things like class size and averages on the transcript. The only school that will see your transcripts is the one at which you matriculate.

Which schools send secondary without an MCAT?

Just read the whole thread my question was answered already.

My second question is, once an application is submitted can you send official MCAT scores more than once? As in once with the initial submission and once more when the new scores come out around mid June?

Is there a limit to tHX requests that can get sent to an application?

You'd have to send it again after the new grades come in. As far as I know, there is no limit, but there'd be no reason to send it multiple times without new scores anyways.

Stupid question: I applied to a couple of schools very late last cycle but never sent secondaries to a few. Do I need to withdraw my application or is that only for people who get accepted?

Technically, you never have to withdraw your AACOMAS app, but if you never send a secondary or never get an interview, you just have to sit back and wait for the end of the cycle rejections.

Stupid question: I applied to a couple of schools very late last cycle but never sent secondaries to a few. Do I need to withdraw my application or is that only for people who get accepted?

I would personally choose to email the schools withdrawing my application before sending out a new primary for the next cycle.

OK, so advair250 made a good point that we should post a thread that answers a lot of the common AACOMAS application questions to prevent the same questions from filling the forum, so I figured I'd start. I know there are usually specific threads for things like PS and LORs, so I'll leave specific questions about those out (minus perhaps the obvious ones like PS length).

If you have any common questions/answers, post them below and I'll try and edit the post.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can I submit my transcripts/MCAT right away (e.g. in May)?

You can submit your transcripts once you have filled out your colleges and coursework section of AACOMAS, and you have a transcript request form. You can submit the MCAT score once it comes in and the primaty application opens (i.e. in May). Your application will not be verified until after your transcripts are submitted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

For any other information about courses or the application service/process, please refer to the AACOMAS instruction manual or contact AACOMAS directly for any particularly specific questions.

If you prefer to ask your specific questions on SDN, you can ask on the Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2013-2014.

I just want to make sure I completely understand this.

So I have to fill out the coursework section in the application, and then call up the undergrad institutions that I attended and have them send the transcripts? You can't do this in the reverse order?

I just want to make sure I completely understand this.

So I have to fill out the coursework section in the application, and then call up the undergrad institutions that I attended and have them send the transcripts? You can't do this in the reverse order?

You can do it in the reverse order, but you need to have both done before you can submit your application for verification (earliest June 1st).

You can do it in the reverse order, but you need to have both done before you can submit your application for verification (earliest June 1st).

I will amend this reply to say that you must finish the colleges section, so that you can get a transcript request form for the colleges you attended, however, you don't need to finish all the coursework section before you send in the transcripts.

•
if you are currently enrolled in the Spring 2013 term, you may not submit your transcript(s) until those grades are posted on the transcript.
•
All applicants must have completed courses at least through or past the Spring term of their Junior Year (or equivalent). transcripts that show the Spring term as “in progress” will not be verified.

So I don't think you can submit ASAP

•
if you are currently enrolled in the Spring 2013 term, you may not submit your transcript(s) until those grades are posted on the transcript.
•
All applicants must have completed courses at least through or past the Spring term of their Junior Year (or equivalent). transcripts that show the Spring term as “in progress” will not be verified.

So I don't think you can submit ASAP

Depends on which school you go to. I had finals last week, and my grades were posted to my transcripts yesterday.

my semester started on 1/22

Glad you cant submit until June though!

Do you happen to know if MSU COM sends a secondary to everybody??
9.jpg

No, the screen for GPA and no MCAT scores below 6. PM SurgeDO if you have questions, he helped me a lot.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using SDN Mobile

I can't answer this, as I had my scores in before I applied. That being said, I've heard of people even interviewing at LECOM without an MCAT, and I believe some other schools release the secondary if you are above 2/3 of their cutoffs (KCUMB). So say you have a 3.5/3.5 cGPA/sGPA, you'd already fulfill their 2/3 cutoff for a secondary without the MCAT, so they could send you a secondary.

All that being said, its not important, because most real human won't look at your app without the MCAT, and your MCAT score has to be in for your file to be complete and reviewed. Really if you are just concerned about getting the secondaries early, you can just work on the prompts from the previous year.

For the grade replacement policy, the community college that I might be using to retake some classes has a semester system and the university I went to has a quarter system. My question is, can 2 semester classes replace 3 quarter classes. In terms of credits, the two semester classes each has 5 credits adding up to 10. and the classes I took in college is 5 credits each adding up to 15 quarter credits. But the thing is, the cc has like the first part and a half of the second part of my college 3 part class in one semester and the second semester has the second half of the second part and the third part of my college class. How does grade replacement work in this situation? Do they replace all 3 if I retake both semesters in cc?

What email did you guys use for aacomas? School email?

What email did you guys use for aacomas? School email?

I made an entirely new email account so that I wouldn't have to sift through spam emails for anything

For the grade replacement policy, the community college that I might be using to retake some classes has a semester system and the university I went to has a quarter system. My question is, can 2 semester classes replace 3 quarter classes. In terms of credits, the two semester classes each has 5 credits adding up to 10. and the classes I took in college is 5 credits each adding up to 15 quarter credits. But the thing is, the cc has like the first part and a half of the second part of my college 3 part class in one semester and the second semester has the second half of the second part and the third part of my college class. How does grade replacement work in this situation? Do they replace all 3 if I retake both semesters in cc?

It doesn't matter whether the content was thr same, your retake courses will only replace 10 credits (2 quarter classes), not 15. The number of credits of the retake must be greater than or equal to the number of credits for the original classes.

Reactions: 1 user
It doesn't matter whether the content was thr same, your retake courses will only replace 10 credits (2 quarter classes), not 15. The number of credits of the retake must be greater than or equal to the number of credits for the original classes.

Do we get to choose which class gets replaced? For example, lets say I have a 2.0 in basket weaving 1 and 2.0 in basket weaving 3 but I have a 3.5 in basket weaving 2. I'll retake the 2 semesters in a cc and get 4.0 in both classes. Can I have the grades be replaced for basket weaving 1 and 3, what is the policy for it? This is factoring the fact that the 2 semesters will have the same content as the 3 quarter class. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we get to choose which class gets replaced? For example, lets say I have a 2.0 in basket weaving 1 and 2.0 in basket weaving 3 but I have a 3.5 in basket weaving 2. I'll retake the 2 semesters in a cc and get 4.0 in both classes. Can I have the grades be replaced for basket weaving 1 and 3, what is the policy for it? This is factoring the fact that the 2 semesters will have the same content as the 3 quarter class. Thanks.

I personally have not had this issue, but I've heard of some people who were able to get them to replace semester 1 and 3 on a quarter system with consecutive semesters on a semester system.

I personally have not had this issue, but I've heard of some people who were able to get them to replace semester 1 and 3 on a quarter system with consecutive semesters on a semester system.

That would be really great, hope someone can confirm this.

Hey hallowmann, you said the content and name has to be similar for the retake course. How lenient are they on this policy. If the content are similar but the name is a little off, would they take the retake? For example, there's a course named college chemistry that has the same content as general chemistry 1, would this be accepted? (there's also principles of physics and general physics, but I think this would be accepted without problems). Also, here is the description for the retake class at a CC: BIOS 1010 provides this background by emphasizing ecology, molecular biology, cell structure and function, genetics, and evolution and here's the description for my college class: Mendelian genetics, evolution, biodiversity of life forms, ecology, and conservation biology. Will the content be similar enough to be accepted?Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey hallowmann, you said the content and name has to be similar for the retake course. How lenient are they on this policy. If the content are similar but the name is a little off, would they take the retake? For example, there's a course named college chemistry that has the same content as general chemistry 1, would this be accepted? (there's also principles of physics and general physics, but I think this would be accepted without problems).

They are pretty lenient with titles/descriptions as long as the classes are similar enough. You should be fine with the chem.

Also, here is the description for the retake class at a CC: BIOS 1010 provides this background by emphasizing ecology, molecular biology, cell structure and function, genetics, and evolution and here's the description for my college class: Mendelian genetics, evolution, biodiversity of life forms, ecology, and conservation biology. Will the content be similar enough to be accepted?Thanks for all your help.

They sound the same to me. You shouldn't have a problem.

This is kind of an odd one, but w/e:

I am changing my name in mid June. What name should I fill out my AACOMAS under?

I have a quick question. I am a non-trad applicant and have been out of school for almost 2 years. I still need to take the organic 1 & 2 LABS since most schools either require or recommend them. I plan to take these courses in Fall 2013 and Spring 2014, respectively. Since Fall registration won't open before I would like to submit to AACOMAS (June 1), how do I show the schools I plan to take these courses? When I enter it as a in progress/planned course, it still says I will need a transcript or enrollment verification, but that won't be available before I submit. How do I make sure the schools don't automatically weed me out because I haven't taken these labs yet?

This is kind of an odd one, but w/e:

I am changing my name in mid June. What name should I fill out my AACOMAS under?

This is a tough one. I would contact AACOMAS directly and see what they suggest. They don't mention anything in it in the instruction manual, and I imagine it might cause issues with transcripts that have your current legal name on them.

I have a quick question. I am a non-trad applicant and have been out of school for almost 2 years. I still need to take the organic 1 & 2 LABS since most schools either require or recommend them. I plan to take these courses in Fall 2013 and Spring 2014, respectively. Since Fall registration won't open before I would like to submit to AACOMAS (June 1), how do I show the schools I plan to take these courses? When I enter it as a in progress/planned course, it still says I will need a transcript or enrollment verification, but that won't be available before I submit. How do I make sure the schools don't automatically weed me out because I haven't taken these labs yet?

Are you sure you can't register for the fall now? Most schools have registration open already.

As far as I know, I think you can still label classes as in progress for advance semesters, but even if they are not confirmed, most/all schools will make sure you complete the pre-reqs by the time of matriculation, and if you don't by then, at that point they will rescind your acceptance. Because of this, I don't think you have to worry about the Spring 2014 semester.