AACOMAS Frequently Asked Questions - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you sure you can't register for the fall now? Most schools have registration open already.

As far as I know, I think you can still label classes as in progress for advance semesters, but even if they are not confirmed, most/all schools will make sure you complete the pre-reqs by the time of matriculation, and if you don't by then, at that point they will rescind your acceptance. Because of this, I don't think you have to worry about the Spring 2014 semester.

Well so as I have it now, I have entered all my past coursework from undergrad and grad. I have entered the two labs as future at a new local college which I have not previously enrolled at. But now that I've added a new school it has a link to request transcripts. I guess I'm afraid if I submit it without a transcript or some kind of enrollment verification, AACOMAS will kick it back to me or tell me to remove the courses if I don't have proof of enrollment (which I won't especially for Spring 2014). If they tell me to remove the coursework how will I let the schools know I plan to take it? I'm afraid ill get weeded out. I tried calling AACOMAS, but they didn't really give me a clear answer. Thanks again for the response!

Members don't see this ad.

Well so as I have it now, I have entered all my past coursework from undergrad and grad. I have entered the two labs as future at a local college which I have not previously enrolled at. But now that I've added a new school it has a link to request transcripts. I guess I'm afraid if I submit it without a transcript or some kind of enrollment verification, AACOMAS will kick it back to me or tell me to remove the courses if I don't have proof of enrollment (which I won't especially for Spring 2014). If they tell me to remove the coursework how will I let the schools know I plan to take it? I'm afraid ill get weeded out. I tried calling AACOMAS, but they didn't really give me a clear answer. Thanks again for the response!

You should be fine. Even if AACOMAS doesn't verify the in progress stuff, adcoms won't care, as long as you complete the pre-reqs by the time of matriculation, especially with <3 pre-reqs left.

You should be fine. Even if AACOMAS doesn't verify the in progress stuff, adcoms won't care, as long as you complete the pre-reqs by the time of matriculation, especially with <3 pre-reqs left.

That's encouraging! Thanks for your help on this issue!!

Members don't see this ad :)
*moved my question to the official question thread.

Last edited:
*moved my question to the official question thread.

Its been answered, but they update your GPA each time you submit a transcript with new grades. Just make sure write down/label your courses as in progress on your AACOMAS app. They send the updated app to schools a week after they get the transcript.

Its been answered, but they update your GPA each time you submit a transcript with new grades. Just make sure write down/label your courses as in progress on your AACOMAS app. They send the updated app to schools a week after they get the transcript.

ah thank you!

I have another question guys. I did my undergrad out of state, but now that I am back in my home state and I want to retake my classes, how do I that with my state's university. I was originally planning to take classes at a CC but most of their classes are divided into parts and someone told me that it would not replace my old classes (please feel free to correct me). Thanks.

I have a question:
I understand one applies early to just one school to save time on verification for financial reasons. However, ignoring the costs of it, if one applies early to many schools without an MCAT score, aren't they running the risk of getting screened with just their non-competitive gpa on file (and no mcat score yet) and possibly not get secondaries?

I did find the answer to my question but I still need confirmation.

I need 3 letters of recommendation most likely? 1 from physician, 1 from science professor, 1 from non science?

I think we need one from a physician and two from a science professor for most schools

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Touro requires 2 from science faculty that taught you and one from an MD or DO.

Does the school have to send your transcripts with the official transcript request form?

I just called my school and they said they absolutely do NOT attach anything to the official transcripts when they are mailed out - even if I was to mail them the transcript request form or bring it to them in person. They said they would include my AACOMASID - would this be alright?

Does the school have to send your transcripts with the official transcript request form?

I just called my school and they said they absolutely do NOT attach anything to the official transcripts when they are mailed out - even if I was to mail them the transcript request form or bring it to them in person. They said they would include my AACOMASID - would this be alright?

I did this and 2 of my transcripts have arrived already.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have another question guys. I did my undergrad out of state, but now that I am back in my home state and I want to retake my classes, how do I that with my state's university. I was originally planning to take classes at a CC but most of their classes are divided into parts and someone told me that it would not replace my old classes (please feel free to correct me). Thanks.

Look for general studies or post-bac applications at whichever school you want to attend. They are very lax, because as long as you have the money you can take as many for credit classes as you want.

Its definitely safer to take retake classes that are completely compatible with the original, but some people have had success getting a class replaced by one in parts. I did not, but I didn't push it much, so this is YMMV and the only way to be sure would be to contact AACOMAS directly and have their answer for your specific situation documented.

I have a question:
I understand one applies early to just one school to save time on verification for financial reasons. However, ignoring the costs of it, if one applies early to many schools without an MCAT score, aren't they running the risk of getting screened with just their non-competitive gpa on file (and no mcat score yet) and possibly not get secondaries?

If there is no MCAT on file, most schools will wait or put the app on hold until one comes in. If you already have a low MCAT, some schools will screen you. If you don't, it doesn't matter whether you apply to one school or all at first, because most schools won't look at your app until your MCAT score comes in.

I did find the answer to my question but I still need confirmation.

I need 3 letters of recommendation most likely? 1 from physician, 1 from science professor, 1 from non science?

Most schools require 1-2 science LORs and 1 physician LOR. To be safe I would get 4 altogether, 2 science (1 bio or from the department of your degree at least), 1 non-science, and 1 DO letter. That should cover the requirements for almost every school.

They say it makes the process faster, but its not required. They should still get the transcript even if it doesn't have the request form attached. Including the AACOMAS ID number would probably help.

Look for general studies or post-bac applications at whichever school you want to attend. They are very lax, because as long as you have the money you can take as many for credit classes as you want.

Its definitely safer to take retake classes that are completely compatible with the original, but some people have had success getting a class replaced by one in parts. I did not, but I didn't push it much, so this is YMMV and the only way to be sure would be to contact AACOMAS directly and have their answer for your specific situation documented.

The school of interest has general studies under bachelor of general studies. Will the school let me just take classes and not actually obtain the degree? Is this how most schools does it or should I be contacting admissions? Also, thanks Hallowmann you are awesome.

I know it's probably already been asked but if we shadowed both an MD and DO should we clump those into one experience or separate them? Then do we list both the clinics on the same line if we do put them together? Should we say the physicians name under the 700 character limit or not?

Is there a way to write down what my major is if it is not on the drop down menu? My major is exercise sports science

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Do I enter my work experience onto the EC's and volunteering section?

For example, I have worked many, many jobs throughout my undergrad. I have also owned a business at some point. Do I mention these experiences in that section? Or is this section preserved for "non-paid" work?

Alright, this may be geared toward preference, however, I am curious as to the method for filling out work experiences. If they are healthcare realted, should I simply list duties/job description like I'm filling out an employment application, or should I discuss what the experience meant/provided for me in terms of pursuing medicine?

Also, for non-healthcare related, should the description just be the jod duties? Or if, for example, it was a third shift job and I had to balance that with full-time academics should I discuss that in the description section?

Thanks for all and any help!

Let me get this straight...when it comes to LOR's (a process that confuses me and I think I'm starting to understand it now)...you make an interfolio account, you get your LOR writers to send their letters to interfolio, and then interfolio will send the letters to AMCAS/AACOMAS (upon your request) which will then submit the letters to the schools you would like to apply to?

Can we request transcripts from our schools even though it is before june 1st?

Also for the request transcripts portion it asks for the student id number...which number is that??

Should I even bother applying to schools that have biochem as a requirement when I never took it? Do they automatically screen you out? Sorry for the stupid question.

List all Three shadowing experience as One EC or make separate ones? If I list them separately, I should probably explain what I learned?

You can apply and will not be rejected immediately. You are allowed to apply without prereqs being completed but you will most likely be required to have them complete before matriculation. If you GPA and MCAT are competitive, then you should apply. You should also plan to get a biochem course next term so that if the lack of the course comes up at interview, you have it covered.

Do I mention in AACOMAS that I'm going to take biochem soon or it doesn't matter?

can we request transcripts from our schools even though it is before june 1st?

also for the request transcripts portion it asks for the student id number...which number is that??

i would like to know this as well

If you withdraw from a class and then take it later do you have to list it as a repeat? Or do you list the "w" as a withdrawal?

Let me get this straight: I can submit my app tonight and choose only ONE school. Then, next week, select a few more schools I'd like to apply to through AACOMAS. Right?

can someone explain how i should enter a summer job i did multiple times? i.e summer 2011, summer 2012?

I THxed my April 2013 MCAT scores the day they came out (May 30th) and according to my sent history, the process was complete. But these new scores don't show up on AACOMAS. I called them and they said to wait and check again this Friday. Anyone else having this kind of issue?

Will General Physics I replace Physics for science majors I? Both are 4 credits

Hey guys, for people that have interfolio and the dossier account, do you guys know if we actually need the email of the recommender? I tried using myself as a recommender and used my own email to see what it would do. It didn't send me an email or anything, so should I ask for the recommender's email or can I use my own?

You guys will probably think why I am making a big deal on asking for the recommender's email. Well two of them are doctors and I am not sure if they will give me a personal email, but I think they will because I've gotten pretty close to them. However, the main problem is that I live pretty far away from the hospital that I shadowed them in and currently I don't have the schedule to drive there to ask them. Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, for people that have interfolio and the dossier account, do you guys know if we actually need the email of the recommender? I tried using myself as a recommender and used my own email to see what it would do. It didn't send me an email or anything, so should I ask for the recommender's email or can I use my own?

You guys will probably think why I am making a big deal on asking for the recommender's email. Well two of them are doctors and I am not sure if they will give me a personal email, but I think they will because I've gotten pretty close to them. However, the main problem is that I live pretty far away from the hospital that I shadowed them in and currently I don't have the schedule to drive there to ask them. Thanks in advance.

I would call them and ask for the e-mail. If you don't have their number, then Google it.

This will also serve as an opportunity to reconnect, remind them who you are, and remind them what the letter is for. You can also attach a resume or personal statement to your e-mail when you get to it. In addition, I think that the doctors will be more likely to respond to an e-mail'ed Interfolio request since they can submit it electronically. Using snail mail is.....slow.

I would call them and ask for the e-mail. If you don't have their number, then Google it.

This will also serve as an opportunity to reconnect, remind them who you are, and remind them what the letter is for. You can also attach a resume or personal statement to your e-mail when you get to it. In addition, I think that the doctors will be more likely to respond to an e-mail'ed Interfolio request since they can submit it electronically. Using snail mail is.....slow.

Question about the email request. Don't they have to have a interfolio account in order to do that?

The school of interest has general studies under bachelor of general studies. Will the school let me just take classes and not actually obtain the degree? Is this how most schools does it or should I be contacting admissions? Also, thanks Hallowmann you are awesome.

Most schools have a post-bac not-degree granting for credit program. Contact your specific school to be sure.

Do I enter my work experience onto the EC's and volunteering section?

For example, I have worked many, many jobs throughout my undergrad. I have also owned a business at some point. Do I mention these experiences in that section? Or is this section preserved for "non-paid" work?

I thought there is a separate Work section (might be confusing it with AMCAS). If there is only the EC/Volunteering section, I would include work experience there. If their is a separate work section, I'd include it there.

Alright, this may be geared toward preference, however, I am curious as to the method for filling out work experiences. If they are healthcare realted, should I simply list duties/job description like I'm filling out an employment application, or should I discuss what the experience meant/provided for me in terms of pursuing medicine?

Also, for non-healthcare related, should the description just be the jod duties? Or if, for example, it was a third shift job and I had to balance that with full-time academics should I discuss that in the description section?

Thanks for all and any help!

Completely up to you. I would describe why the healthcare jobs were beneficial for your medical goals, and I would just talk about job duties for any non-health related work.

List all Three shadowing experience as One EC or make separate ones? If I list them separately, I should probably explain what I learned?

Up to you, but I would list it all under one "Physician Shadowing" experience.

Can we request transcripts from our schools even though it is before june 1st?

Also for the request transcripts portion it asks for the student id number...which number is that??

Yes you can. I believe they mean the AACOMAS ID number (e.g. xxxxxxx-2014).

can someone explain how i should enter a summer job i did multiple times? i.e summer 2011, summer 2012?

Its up to you, you can list them separately or as one experience and indicate the dates in the description.

Will General Physics I replace Physics for science majors I? Both are 4 credits

The reverse worked for me (at different schools though), so it should work fine for you. YMMV though.

Question about the email request. Don't they have to have a interfolio account in order to do that?

When they get the email requests it has instructions on how to setup their own free accounts.

When they get the email requests it has instructions on how to setup their own free accounts.

Hey thanks again hallowman, you even answered one of my questions from a while ago. Also, if I decide to use the snail mail, their email is not required right and for the part where they ask for the recommender's email in interfolio I can put my email or something like that?

Regarding the PS, should I indent/separate paragraphs when the essay is in the textbox on the app?

Hey thanks again hallowman, you even answered one of my questions from a while ago. Also, if I decide to use the snail mail, their email is not required right and for the part where they ask for the recommender's email in interfolio I can put my email or something like that?

Yup, sorry been away for a bit. If I were you, I would include their own email and not yours. You can just tell them not to worry about it and that you'll give them an envelope and everything, but I would make sure any contact info I put for them is actually theirs.

I had all my writers do theirs through email, I didn't deal with letters. It was definitely easier doing it that way.

Regarding the PS, should I indent/separate paragraphs when the essay is in the textbox on the app?

I separated paragraphs with line breaks and a blank line, but I did not indent (you can only do it with extra spaces and it wasn't worth the characters). Just be aware that each line break counts as one character.

Can someone please help me!!

I didn't list planned courses that are required for pre-reqs. Is there anything I can do? Should I contact the schools or AACOMAS and try to get it added on.

Is it at all possible?

Question: I have lots of different shadowing experiences - about 12 or so. Should I submit each one individually in the app volunteer section? Or can I lump them all together into one shadowing experience and put provider details in the description?

Question: I have lots of different shadowing experiences - about 12 or so. Should I submit each one individually in the app volunteer section? Or can I lump them all together into one shadowing experience and put provider details in the description?

Lump them

The course numbers on classes being retaken do not matter, right? I mean I could have taken a course numbered xx-150 and now it is xx-1250 and still be ok, right? Also, does it matter if the names are different?

Also. How does AACOMAS consider EX (excused) grades? What if that grade is more recent than a letter grade?
Thanks!

The course numbers on classes being retaken do not matter, right? I mean I could have taken a course numbered xx-150 and now it is xx-1250 and still be ok, right? Also, does it matter if the names are different?

Doesn't matter as long as they sound the same and the replacement has equal or greater credit hours.

Also. How does AACOMAS consider EX (excused) grades? What if that grade is more recent than a letter grade?
Thanks!

I don't know what EX grades are. Is that like a withdrawal? Incomplete? Those grades don't count towards your GPA.

Also, when it comes to grade replacement, you indicate which grades are replacing what, not them. They will only correct/change it if there is an error (e.g. the newer course has fewer credits than the one its replacing).

Just a couple quick questions. Would you recommend putting research eperience under work experience or Extracuricular, Volunteer, Community Service??

Also where would you recommend putting Shadowing experience? Thank You!!

If research is paid = work, if not its an EC, but really its a judgment call on your part. It doesn't really matter.

Shadowing is an EC.

I thought PS had a 5300 character limit. Is it different from MD? just want to be extra sure!

I submitted my AACOMAS July 26 and it has been 3 weeks. I'm getting worried since I have not gotten an email about secondaries yet :/ Should I wait another week or so? How long does it regularly take to have the status change from Processing to Verified?

I submitted my AACOMAS July 26 and it has been 3 weeks. I'm getting worried since I have not gotten an email about secondaries yet :/ Should I wait another week or so? How long does it regularly take to have the status change from Processing to Verified?

According to the verification thread, its taking about 4 weeks to verify. I submitted mine a few days earlier than yours and I'm not verified yet either.

Can we please have a 2014-2015 sticky application thread thanks!

Reactions: 1 user