AACOMAS online...Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctortobee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK..There is much more room for the personal statement with the online version than the paper version...Am I going to have my application returned because of my statement being longer since I used the online form?

Members don't see this ad.

There is a limit on the online version too. It only allows you to have a certain number of characters. It won't let you sumbit your application if you have too many characters in your personal statement. I didn't know that you could still fill out a paper version of the ACOMAS.

Any idea what the limit is? They don't tell you that you're over the limit UNTIL you hit submit?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey...

Relax... I realize that this is the start of a large endeavor and you don't want to make any mistakes, but take it from someone who has filled out that application 4 times... What you are embarking on is only the beginning.

It will not let you leave the page with the personal statement if it is overlength. It will alert you right away. You could never have gotten past that or submitted it otherwise.

So... Come on... Don't rupture a blood vessel over the application. Wait until you have to fill out secondaries and then interview. ;-)

I'm an old veteran. I've gone through the process 3 times, and I've even been accepted once, choosing to decline it to wait on another school.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Doctortobee:
•Any idea what the limit is? They don't tell you that you're over the limit UNTIL you hit submit?•••••

Hey wish, so you turned down LECOM in the end? I'm glad you were able to stick with your gut - you'll probably be happier in the end. Where are you waiting on now? NOVA?

Good luck!

I am on a handful of waitlists,

•••quote:•••Originally posted by the boy wonder:
•Hey wish, so you turned down LECOM in the end? I'm glad you were able to stick with your gut - you'll probably be happier in the end. Where are you waiting on now? NOVA?

Good luck!•••••

Hi there doctortobee,

I went through the application process last year and worried needlessly about the personal statement. They give you so little room because most D.O. secondaries ask you to provide such a substantial secondary application. I am going to be a first year student at MSUCOM in the fall and their secondary app was the most lengthy and detailed app ever. I believe that the schools realize that there is more to you than what you can say in so many words.
Just make sure that you address an experience or a reason why you want to practice osteopathy and what you know about the profession (i.e. how it fits into your belief system). Have people proofread and be prepared to edit, edit, edit. There isn't a lot of room as I'm sure you already know.
Best of luck with everything and if you have any more questions, feel free to email. You'll be glad once everything is said and done!

Julia
MSUCOM Class of 2006