AACOMAS PS is shorter than AMCAS PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arc5005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been working on my PS and it seems that AACOMAS only allows 4500 characters, whereas AMCAS allows 5300. Can anyone confirm these are the correct amount of characters for the PS?

Also, is there a section in the AACOMAS application to explain why DO? or should "why DO?" also be addressed in the AACOMAS PS.

I guess, I'm unfamiliar with the first application process and I'm not sure which questions are asked in the first application.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can talk about "why DO" in the personal statement, but almost all the secondaries ask you that same question. So make sure you don't use all your reasons, then you'd start to repeat yourself.

I used the same personal statement for my AMCAS and AACOMAS applications. I don't think you need to answer "Why DO" in your personal statement unless it's an integral part of why you want to be a physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used the same personal statement for my AMCAS and AACOMAS applications. I don't think you need to answer "Why DO" in your personal statement unless it's an integral part of why you want to be a physician.

the # of characters didn't matter?

I did not answer why DO in my PS and I've received DO II's. Also, I'd say of the 13 DO schools I applied to, 10 asked why DO in some form or another lol

the # of characters didn't matter?
Nope, you don't need to fill all 5300 characters. Just say what you need to say! I think I was pretty close to the 4500 limit though.