vashka

10+ Year Member
May 25, 2005
Status
Medical Student
I don't know where to go to find this info short of calling AACOMAS myself. If I take a few classes during the summer and state that they are pending when I submit my application, does AACOMAS recalculate my gpa when I send my secondary? Do I send the new transcript with the summer grades to AACOMAS or the schools that I am applying to?

Sarikate

Full of antioxidants
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2004
Status
Medical Student
I'm in the same boat you are in - I was going to send my transcripts to AACOMAS unless my application is verified before I get ahold of my transcripts.

It would be tedious to send every school an official transcript since many schools charge a fee per transcript!

About the Ads

Hoberto

Squirrel Girl
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
After you submit your AACOMAS primary application it is out of their hands. So, if you've submitted and listed classes as in progress/future they will not be waiting for those transcripts. They will verify based on the transcripts you send them.

When you start receiving secondaries all the required information will be sent to the schools by you. At this point, AACOMAS is out of the application process. If you want schools to have your updated coursework then you can send them new transcripts but it is not necessary unless, of course, the school requests them.

The schools will know all the courses you listed on the AACOMAS application. Let's say you don't finish summer classes until September and you've sent in your AACOMAS and your transcripts are received by AACOMAS next week. They will verify all your grades except your summer and future grades as there is nothing yet to verify. So, if you took Intro to Fish Breeding over the summer and plan to take Advanced Eel Genetics this fall they will know that. However, they will not know your grades unless you send them directly to the schools. It's possible they'll ask you about these courses during interviews.

Also, you are not obligated to take the courses listed on your primary application unless those courses are prerequisites for the school. You should okay any class changes with your med school just to be sure, though.

When you are accepted you will send final transcripts to the school.

phungy

Account Terminated
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
Status
About recalculating GPA, does AACOMAS take the highest grade (ex. C is OChem2, A after retake)?

theraball

Panned
10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2005
Glendale, AZ
Status
phungy said:
About recalculating GPA, does AACOMAS take the highest grade (ex. C is OChem2, A after retake)?
You have to designate the course as "repeated" when entering it. I am not sure which--the old course, I think. Otherwise, they won't automatically see two orgo classes and only count the second one; they'll just average them together.

I'm in this boat myself; I didn't mark my classes as "repeat" and am now emailing back and forth with AACOMAS to get this taken care of.

About the Ads