AACOMAS vs. AAMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lady bug

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow, aacomas seems soooo much simpler than amcas...so we don't have to enter in each class we took and the grade we received? Also, are you all using the same personal statement for both aacomas and aamcas. I was thinking about going into explaining why I'm interested in osteopathic medicine, but I heard there's plenty of room on secondaries to do this.

Members don't see this ad.

I know...I much prefer the AACOMAS to AMCAS application. It's faster, I was able to use my current web browser rather than having to install a new one, the instructions are clear, rather than some stupid funky slow animated thing. Also with AMCAS if you save mid way through your Biography say, when you go back you have to page through every page of the bio again to get back to where you were!?!?

Just a word of warning.

I think that AACOMAS only allows about HALF the space for the personal statement that AMCAS allows.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
The only problem with AACOMAS is you can't print out the final application once it has been submitted. Other than that, I agree it is much simpler and easier to use.

One of the problems I encountered was within the personal history section. I was born in a different country, and stated that. However, the page kept reading ERROR because I left the "state you were born in" slot empty. How the hell can I be born in a different country, and a state of the US at the same time? :rolleyes: It just seemed incredibly lame and pointless, but after awhile, I realized that they were the stupid ones and wrote California, as well as my birth country. So, if anyone asks, I CAN be in two places at once! :wink: :p

I had the same problem. I was born in a different country and it wanted me to give a county code. That's absurd!

Actually, I think if you look on the "state" list you will see that "Foreign country" is also an option. I had to do this too.

hey Puddin,

If you go to "help" when youre on the page that has the personal statement on it, it says to write about your motivations for osteopathic medicine. So if I were you, I wouldnt risk it, I would write maybe a couple of sentences about why you are interested in osteopathic medicine in particular. Hope that helped and good luck!

Does anyone know where we're supposed to put our extracurricular activities in the AACOMAS app? They only ask for volunteer and paid work. Thanks!