aacpmas 2016/2017 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
With stats like yours...

Congratulations man. Solid work.

Haha thank you very much! Think i lucked out on timing to be honest, Dr Martin stated the board was meeting that same night to discuss the applicants. Still never expected to recieve the email same day though.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, congrats on all acceptances! I am planning to apply to NYCPM, Temple, Scholl and Barry by the end of February/beginning of March. I was wondering if that is considered "too late" to submit and if I would have a shot at getting in since I know it is rolling admission. My stats are gpa: 3.34 sGPA: 3.33 mcat:490 with extracurriculars like college athlete DII captain senior year, EMT-b for 2 years and a research internship last summer. Any thoughts are appreciated! Exciting stuff!!

Does Des Moines only give interview dates 2 weeks in advance? I dont see any available dates after the 11th on their scheduling calendar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, congrats on all acceptances! I am planning to apply to NYCPM, Temple, Scholl and Barry by the end of February/beginning of March. I was wondering if that is considered "too late" to submit and if I would have a shot at getting in since I know it is rolling admission. My stats are gpa: 3.34 sGPA: 3.33 mcat:490 with extracurriculars like college athlete DII captain senior year, EMT-b for 2 years and a research internship last summer. Any thoughts are appreciated! Exciting stuff!!
Is it possible for you to apply earlier or do you have to in February?

Is that End of February due to MCAT retake in January 19 or 28?

If so you should be fine. Get a couple points higher and you should be getting interview invites. GPAs are within average ranges of matriculants.

Do you have shadowing and rec letter from pod lined up?

You can also go ahead and apply right now and mark on the app that you have a retake in progress. If you're deadset on Scholl, get those letters in or they won't look at your app.

Does Des Moines only give interview dates 2 weeks in advance? I dont see any available dates after the 11th on their scheduling calendar.
Yeah I think they only provide the interview dates for 2 weeks in advance. They want you to schedule something in that time frame but obviously if nothing works I believe you can call the admissions office and just explain your unavailability and I'm sure they'll provide you with the next possible dates.

Sent my deposit for TUSPM Class of 2021!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
What's considered "late" for podiatry school application?

Is that End of February due to MCAT retake in January 19 or 28?

If so you should be fine. Get a couple points higher and you should be getting interview invites. GPAs are within average ranges of matriculants.

Do you have shadowing and rec letter from pod lined up?

You can also go ahead and apply right now and mark on the app that you have a retake in progress. If you're deadset on Scholl, get those letters in or they won't look at your app.
Unfortunately I do plan to take the MCAT again in January (19th most likely) which means I won't get a result until end of Feb the earliest. Do you think its worth submitting my application earlier (maybe in December) with my MCAT score pending? Or is it better to just wait for my MCAT score to be released in February?

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

Unfortunately I do plan to take the MCAT again in January (19th most likely) which means I won't get a result until end of Feb the earliest. Do you think its worth submitting my application earlier (maybe in December) with my MCAT score pending? Or is it better to just wait for my MCAT score to be released in February?

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

Guy on here was in your situation. Had 1 or 2 schools auto reject even though he stated he was retaking.

Still got into his top pick.

Also depends on your stats. If your GPA is around 3.5-3.7 should be no problem waiting. If its around averages like 3.0-3.3 I would apply now and state you are retaking. That way you get your foot in the door earlier with the bigger schools.

From your school list I'd say Barry should give you an interview invite. Temple will probably auto-wait list or reject. Not sure about NYCPM. Scholl will not look at your app unless you have LORs turned in at the same time.

Sounds good. I think I'm going to end up applying earlier and just leave my retake pending in hopes that the schools mentioned won't just reject me. Thank you again!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How long did it take y'all to hear back about admissions decisions from Kent, DMU, CSPM?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am amazed at the unprofessional interactions I've had with one of these schools, simply amazed. I believe I know where I won't be attending.

I am amazed at the unprofessional interactions I've had with one of these schools, simply amazed. I believe I know where I won't be attending.
My curiosity is getting the best of me.

Same... I had a similar experience with one of the schools too tbh...

please share haha

Reactions: 3 users
My application finally got verified earlier this week. Applied to Temple and NYCPM. Got interviews to both. Temple is the 14th of November and NYCPM is the 16th of November. I am very grateful that I was offered interviews. It feels like the acceptance is so close yet soooooo far away. I hope I can at least articulate my passion for this profession and why I want to do this during my interviews. Good luck to everyone else interviewing! And congrats to those who have been accepted!

Reactions: 1 users
My application finally got verified earlier this week. Applied to Temple and NYCPM. Got interviews to both. Temple is the 14th of November and NYCPM is the 16th of November. I am very grateful that I was offered interviews. It feels like the acceptance is so close yet soooooo far away. I hope I can at least articulate my passion for this profession and why I want to do this during my interviews. Good luck to everyone else interviewing! And congrats to those who have been accepted!
don't use words like articulate in your interview or ever in a conversation lol

don't use words like articulate in your interview or ever in a conversation lol
Would I use it in an interview? Most likely not because it's not a word I typically use when speaking with others and I don't see the point in saying "articulate" when you're in the process of explaining yourself but it is a word that I have used and will use...hence why I used it above. It's the same thing as saying "I am trying to explain myself." I wouldn't use that phrase in an interview but I would use it when it's appropriate. Youre the first person I've ever heard say never to use the word articulate. Now if you're saying not to say "I am trying to articulate why I love Podiatry" during an interview or a conversation then yes I agree with you because like I said there's no point in saying that when you're in the process of explaining why you're passionate about something. But I don't see words like articulate as some forbidden words when they're used in the proper setting or context.

Last edited:
Would I use it in an interview? Most likely not because it's not a word I typically use when speaking with others and I don't see the point in saying "articulate" when you're in the process of explaining yourself but it is a word that I have used and will use...hence why I used it above. It's the same thing as saying "I am trying to explain myself." I wouldn't use that phrase in an interview but I would use it when it's appropriate. Youre the first person I've ever heard say never to use the word articulate. Now if you're saying not to say "I am trying to articulate why I love Podiatry" during an interview or a conversation then yes I agree with you because like I said there's no point in saying that when you're in the process of explaining why you're passionate about something. But I don't see words like articulate as some forbidden words when they're used in the proper setting or context.
Just because a word is used in the correct context doesn't mean it sounds good. if i ever heard somebody say articulate i would just assume they're trying too hard to sound intelligent

How long did it take for your application to be verified once your transcripts came in?

How long did it take for your application to be verified once your transcripts came in?
this has been asked at least 10 times in this thread. mine took a day

Got Barry interview on Tuesday, anyone who's done barry have any words of advice/a heads up on something to take note of? Also same with DMU (not for a few weeks but wouldn't mind some pointers)

Got Barry interview on Tuesday, anyone who's done barry have any words of advice/a heads up on something to take note of? Also same with DMU (not for a few weeks but wouldn't mind some pointers)

DMU interview is closed file so they didn't ask about academics/stats at all. I was asked behavioral questions and of course "why podiatry." I prepared by reading the interview feedback for DMU and pretty much all the questions that I was asked were questions that were written on interview feedback. I was interviewed by a professor and a current student. Overall, it wasn't too tough if you prepare :)

I can also confirm that DMU didn't ask about stats at all, but they did ask about personal statement/ECs on app. The interview I had at DMU almost felt more like a job interview than an interview for placement at a school. They mostly asked me things like "Can you describe a time when you were given responsibility?" or "Describe a time you've been given a deadline, but were constantly interrupted and how you were able to complete your task on time." Things like that. It's all on the interview feedback page. Go through those and you shouldn't be surprised by any of their questions.

Barry will ask you specifics about grades/stats. I got all of the standard questions you would expect to get in a podiatry school interview. Things like "why podiatry?" "explain something you learned while shadowing" etc. Again, go through the interview feedback page and you'll be prepared for any questions they might ask.

If I am scheduling interviews for November, is that too late? I am still waiting on my MCAT retake score(october 12th) to hear back from other schools but have heard back from CSPM, Barry, and Scholl with interview invites. Those aren't my top picks so I pushed the interview dates to later in the cycle(November 14,15,16) to hopefully hear back from my top 4.When do all of the spots usually fill up? Any tips you can give is much appreciated.

Hey did you apply to podiatry schools with initial MCAT score with the intent of retaking it? Also did you tell the schools to put your app on hold until you take your MCAT again? Or did they make a decision based on your old MCAT score and made a decision again on your second MCAT score? Sorry this is a lot of question but I need hel p lol

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Hey did you apply to podiatry schools with initial MCAT score with the intent of retaking it? Also did you tell the schools to put your app on hold until you take your MCAT again? Or did they make a decision based on your old MCAT score and made a decision again on your second MCAT score? Sorry this is a lot of question but I need hel p lol

When I applied last year, I applied with my initial MCAT score with the intent of retaking. Schools will most likely put your application on hold (most of the schools did when I applied) until they receive your new score (unless your initial score is good enough to warrant an interview).

Some schools have cutoff points and will auto reject you if your initial score is too low (happened to me at western and temple). I contacted them to see if they saw I was going to retake and they were not aware. Make sure to let the schools know just in case.

If they do auto reject you and you receive a higher MCAT score, some schools will re-evaluate your application ( Temple said they would, but for some reason, Western would not).

Last edited:
Just got my acceptance from NYCPM. Will be interviewing at Barry next week. I was wondering if anyone out there, maybe a resident from either school can tell me about their respective curriculum and how well it prepared them for their boards. Thank you so much! TBH I am very split down the middle between both schools.

Got accepted into Barry today. Had my interview on Monday. I'll be adding to the interview feedback soon.

We will be classmates! I got accepted 2 weeks ago at Barry and just put the deposit down today! The day of the interview I fell in love with the professors and students I met. Everybody I saw was smiling and had good things to say about the school. What a great energy!

We will be classmates! I got accepted 2 weeks ago at Barry and just put the deposit down today! The day of the interview I fell in love with the professors and students I met. Everybody I saw was smiling and had good things to say about the school. What a great energy!
How long did your app take to get verified and Barry to grant you an interview?

How long did your app take to get verified and Barry to grant you an interview?

I interviewed on a Tuesday and received the call on Friday. They told me 2 weeks the most, but I was surprised it took them last than a week. Stats just in case you were wondering...
GPA: 3.69 overall 3.54 science gpa
MCAT: 490
Extra: 180 hrs of shadowing a DPM, 100 hrs of volunteering at a hospital ER, 60 hrs volunteering at an elementary school, 6 months of research experience, 6 months of internship on a sports medicine lab, and I thinks that all for the most part.

I am still enrolled at school and Dr. Sesodia (the Dean) really played emphasis on that, asking if I would keep dedicating myself to my classes if he accepted me and asked if I would be willing be retake the MCAT. I said I would be willing to retake it and I would never let my GPA go down at this point and blabla. Other than that I think it was a good interview, they asked me why podiatry, why Barry, one clinical question (what would you do if you were the podiatrist and I am the patient and I come in....), ....

Yay !! lol I've been waiting for someone to say they're going to Barry too. I loved everyone there too, such great spirits.

Fell in love with Barry yesterday in my interview, and am jumping around after getting a courtesy call today from Dr Shaw that i am accepted !!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Fell in love with Barry yesterday in my interview, and am jumping around after getting a courtesy call today from Dr Shaw that i am accepted !!!!!
Yay! happy for you! Are you planning on interviewing at other schools or are you sticking with Barry?

Yay! happy for you! Are you planning on interviewing at other schools or are you sticking with Barry?

Chose to stick with Barry. Last interview i lined up was with Des Moines but ill be cancelling it. And thank you very much!!!

Im glad to see that everybody was super friendly and they were also very aware if the issues they had with some staff and had already taken the neccessary measures to fix it. Facilities were all great, and the Anatomy professor even knew my current Anatomy professor in undergrad. Definitly felt like it was the right fit for me. Touring Mercy Hospital and getting to shadow Dr Rodriguez during some patient visits was a blast as well!

Last edited:
have a feeling I shouldn't have scheduled my interviews so close together. getting burnt out with travel. only been to two so far, and two more this coming week..

have a feeling I shouldn't have scheduled my interviews so close together. getting burnt out with travel. only been to two so far, and two more this coming week..
Take care of your body.

Get plenty of sleep and take some time to relax. Just sit back and watch a movie in the hotel. Cut down on the fast food and grease. Eat a salad. Take a walk if you have time.

Anybody on here going to be at AZ on the 18th or Scholl on the 21st?

Just got the email!! Accepted into Temple!!

Reactions: 5 users