aacpmas 2016/2017 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They def want that 4.0. Probably doesn't matter what you get on the MCAT.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Lol. Just write your name on it and circle all "b" or "c" and bounce.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Why am I not hearing much about NYCPM this cycle? Are people getting interviews and just not going? I have mine march 2nd

It seems to me that most people on SDN do not view NYCPM in a favorable light. With that said, I interviewed and got accepted at NYCPM in December for January entrance, which is where I'm currently enrolled (going into week 7 of classes already, crazy how quickly the time passes!).

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It seems to me that most people on SDN do not view NYCPM in a favorable light. With that said, I interviewed and got accepted at NYCPM in December for January entrance, which is where I'm currently enrolled (going into week 7 of classes already, crazy how quickly the time passes!).

What was the interview process like? Most of the feedback I am finding is fairly old. For example, the essay prompt, is that still part of the process? Any insight will be great!

I hope to join you in Sept! NYNY :horns:

Btw, how are your classes going? Exams every week? Thanks!

Last edited:
What was the interview process like? Most of the feedback I am finding is fairly old. For example, the essay prompt, is that still part of the process? Any insight will be great!

Interview day went as follows: In the morning there is a run of the mill presentation about the school which is followed by an opportunity to shadow 3rd years in the clinic for about an hour. Then comes the interviews. There is a 2 person faculty interview, with Dean Lisa Lee and another faculty member, and a student interview. It so happened that my faculty interview was before my student interview but it could just as easily be vice versa. The faculty interview for me, and for a lot of people, was tough. Be prepared to explain any and all weaknesses on your application because they WILL grill you for it. Make sure to keep your composure, even if you feel like they're attacking you; they just want to make sure that you're cut out to succeed at NYCPM. The student interview was very chill and laid back - it's pretty much to make sure you're a normal person without any glaring personality faults. There is no essay prompt at any point.

After interviews there is a student tour of the school, lasting about an hour. Then there's lunch with current students - you get a $10 voucher to use in the cafe on the 3rd floor. This is so you can ask any questions you have about the school, their experiences/background, anything you can think of really. The students are there to help you decide whether or not NYCPM would be a good fit for you - none of it gets back to admissions. After lunch there's one last presentation about financial aid and finishing remarks about the school in general. There is also an optional Bridges housing tour if you're thinking about living in student housing.

I hope to join you in Sept! NYNY :horns:

Btw, how are your classes going? Exams every week? Thanks!

Classes are good but its a LOT of information. Sometimes I feel like my head is about to explode from all the information we're required to know, especially right before an anatomy exam, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. At least there's a sense of camaraderie between everyone. Since there's no curve, you aren't affected by everyone else's results so theres literally no need to be cutthroat about anything so there's a lot of sharing of helpful resources and study guides etc.

And there aren't exams every week (YET), but you have to stay on top of everything otherwise it would be a B**** to catch up last minute. Going into week 7, as a Janny, I've had 5 assessments so far (2 quizzes, 2 exams, and 1 practical).

Classes are good but its a LOT of information. Sometimes I feel like my head is about to explode from all the information we're required to know, especially right before an anatomy exam, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. At least there's a sense of camaraderie between everyone. Since there's no curve, you aren't affected by everyone else's results so theres literally no need to be cutthroat about anything so there's a lot of sharing of helpful resources and study guides etc.

And there aren't exams every week (YET), but you have to stay on top of everything otherwise it would be a B**** to catch up last minute. Going into week 7, as a Janny, I've had 5 assessments so far (2 quizzes, 2 exams, and 1 practical).
Thats crazy! And starting in January, isnt it less fast paced than the normal 4 year curriculum starting in fall? I could be wrong though.

Thats crazy! And starting in January, isnt it less fast paced than the normal 4 year curriculum starting in fall? I could be wrong though.

It is. Our preclinical years are spread out over 2.5 years instead of 2 years. During that extra half year, we take 3 classes (about 15 credits worth). Then, once the Sept students join us, we take one fewer course each semester than the rest of our classmates up until 2nd semester of 2nd year. So to summarize, due to the extra time we have at the beginning, we have slightly lighter course load for the first 3 "official" semesters until we're at full course load capacity during our last preclinical semester.

And don't get me wrong, I do have a lot of free time but I have to be careful not to underestimate the time I need for studying. Apparently some Jannys have a hard time transitioning to the true full course load amount because they were so used to having extra time for studying. So I'm trying to prevent that by creating good study habits now.

It is. Our preclinical years are spread out over 2.5 years instead of 2 years. During that extra half year, we take 3 classes (about 15 credits worth). Then, once the Sept students join us, we take one fewer course each semester than the rest of our classmates up until 2nd semester of 2nd year. So to summarize, due to the extra time we have at the beginning, we have slightly lighter course load for the first 3 "official" semesters until we're at full course load capacity during our last preclinical semester.

And don't get me wrong, I do have a lot of free time but I have to be careful not to underestimate the time I need for studying. Apparently some Jannys have a hard time transitioning to the true full course load amount because they were so used to having extra time for studying. So I'm trying to prevent that by creating good study habits now.

Good to hear from you.

Lots of good insight regarding course load and interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Good to hear from you.

Lots of good insight regarding course load and interviews.

Thanks, I figure it's the least I can do. Over the years SDN and its users have been so helpful in navigating this process that I'm now trying to do my part to give back :thumbup:

Interview day went as follows: In the morning there is a run of the mill presentation about the school which is followed by an opportunity to shadow 3rd years in the clinic for about an hour. Then comes the interviews. There is a 2 person faculty interview, with Dean Lisa Lee and another faculty member, and a student interview. It so happened that my faculty interview was before my student interview but it could just as easily be vice versa. The faculty interview for me, and for a lot of people, was tough. Be prepared to explain any and all weaknesses on your application because they WILL grill you for it. Make sure to keep your composure, even if you feel like they're attacking you; they just want to make sure that you're cut out to succeed at NYCPM. The student interview was very chill and laid back - it's pretty much to make sure you're a normal person without any glaring personality faults. There is no essay prompt at any point.

After interviews there is a student tour of the school, lasting about an hour. Then there's lunch with current students - you get a $10 voucher to use in the cafe on the 3rd floor. This is so you can ask any questions you have about the school, their experiences/background, anything you can think of really. The students are there to help you decide whether or not NYCPM would be a good fit for you - none of it gets back to admissions. After lunch there's one last presentation about financial aid and finishing remarks about the school in general. There is also an optional Bridges housing tour if you're thinking about living in student housing.
I can attest to this (NYCPM 2021 woo!). I got absolutely GRILLED by the faculty but the students were cool as heck and I'm hype to start school there in the fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
Question wasn't directed at me, but wanted to contribute my experience as well. :) I didn't necessarily feel "grilled" (I'm sure this depends on which faculty interviewers you get), but they definitely asked me several questions on my grades. Probably like a third of my interview was spent discussing my academic history. Off the top of my head, I recall them asking what happened, why the disparity between my GPA and MCAT, what makes me think I'm ready for podiatry school...

The key is to not get flustered! And I tried not to linger on what went wrong (b/c it's easy to make excuses), but how I've improved since then. I don't really have a strong upwards trend, so I instead focused my answers on what I've learned and the changes I've incorporated.

I agree w/ tutuff that the students were really cool. I got to meet 5 student ambassadors during my interview day, and NYCPM's students were probably my favorite of the three schools I interviewed at.

Accepted to Scholl, AZpod, WesternU, and DMU. Stuck between Scholl and AZpod..... any advice?

What are your thoughts first between both the programs? And how were the interviews/tours?
Well I liked both. Cost pretty much evens out between the two. I'm from Wisconsin so Chicago is closer but AZ is warmer and I could get used to that. I thought that AZ was a little more advanced than Chicago. I really connected with a couple of professors during my interview at Chicago. I also enjoyed the professors at AZ too much felt like I connected a little more but I was not around the professors as much at AZ. I think that being completely integrated in the D.O. program gives AZ an academic edge. I'm not sure if being in a smaller class is going to be an advantage or not. I got a scholarship at Chicago and AZ does not give out any first year scholarships. Seems like if I end up wanting to do research, Chicago may be better for it. The sushi was only $6.50 at AZ whereas it was $9.99 at Chicago (might be the deal breaker lol). I want to get into sports medicine and feel like being down in AZ may give me a better opportunity to work with athletes since there are more of them in that area than North Chicago.

Looking to see what others may have felt about each school. Does anyone know if one has an advantage over the other for residencies for sports medicine and ankle and foot reconstruction?

If u wanna go sports medicine, go to medical school ;)

Why no DMU?
Well I liked both. Cost pretty much evens out between the two. I'm from Wisconsin so Chicago is closer but AZ is warmer and I could get used to that. I thought that AZ was a little more advanced than Chicago. I really connected with a couple of professors during my interview at Chicago. I also enjoyed the professors at AZ too much felt like I connected a little more but I was not around the professors as much at AZ. I think that being completely integrated in the D.O. program gives AZ an academic edge. I'm not sure if being in a smaller class is going to be an advantage or not. I got a scholarship at Chicago and AZ does not give out any first year scholarships. Seems like if I end up wanting to do research, Chicago may be better for it. The sushi was only $6.50 at AZ whereas it was $9.99 at Chicago (might be the deal breaker lol). I want to get into sports medicine and feel like being down in AZ may give me a better opportunity to work with athletes since there are more of them in that area than North Chicago.

Looking to see what others may have felt about each school. Does anyone know if one has an advantage over the other for residencies for sports medicine and ankle and foot reconstruction?

Really, doesn't matter where you go to school if you want to work in sports medicine. Your residency and possible fellowship would have a lot more to do with that. So dont base your decision on which school to go to on that. Honestly both are great schools and working hard will give you the opportunity to land a good residency. Also, while Arizona may be warmer most of the year, you are dealing with two extremes, extremely hot in the summer there in Arizona, or very cold in the winter in Chicago. Ultimately I decided on DMU over all the schools i interviewed at. And it seemed to me when going to these schools that all have plenty of opportunities to do research if you really want to. To be honest I personally didn't like Midwestern very much when I visited. I liked Scholl, DMU, and kent better. But that's just me.

Same thing everyone else is saying; they asked about my lowest MCAT section and any less than perfect grades on my transcript. I owned up to it, gave 10 seconds of an excuse followed by 5 minutes of reasons why I've only gotten better since then and how that's going to help me. Apart from that, they asked a lot about if I'm ready to move to NY and to be in school. Being from Philadelphia, the big city questions were pretty easy for me to answer

So I have two questions for everyone, how long did it take this year for your transcripts to be verified and how long did it take after verification for you to get an interview invite?

So I have two questions for everyone, how long did it take this year for your transcripts to be verified and how long did it take after verification for you to get an interview invite?

Verification within 24hrs.

Chronologically first invite from Kent within a day followed by CSPM, Scholl, DMU, Western, AZpod.

All of this was from 8/21 to 9/3

wow that's fast, do you think your strength as a candidate had something to do with it?

wow that's fast, do you think your strength as a candidate had something to do with it?

I had very weak GPAs (3.1/2.9) and an average/subpar MCAT (488 - 493- 496)

I believe turning everything in early (second week cycle opened), raw personal statement, work experience (did not go straight from undergrad), and dedicated ECs got me the invite.

I believe person skills and the ability to communicate well got me the acceptance.

Last edited:
I had very weak GPAs (3.1/2.9) and an average/subpar MCAT (488 - 493- 496)

I believe turning everything in early (second week cycle opened), raw personal statement, work experience (did not go straight from undergrad), and dedicated ECs got me the invite.

I believe person skills and the ability to communicate well got me the acceptance.
How prepared/confident did you feel going into the MCAT? I am studying for it now and feel confident on most the subjects except Physics (haven't taken yet) and psych (took like 4 years ago).

How prepared/confident did you feel going into the MCAT? I am studying for it now and feel confident on most the subjects except Physics (haven't taken yet) and psych (took like 4 years ago).

The 488 was a cold turkey. Did not prepare at all. Mostly pressure from parents.

The 493 was after winter hell PR course. School and work started up at the same time so I knew it wasn't going to be a 500 I was aiming for. When you get out of the actual exam, you can kind of pinpoint very accurately where you fell overall point wise. The 496 was 1 month dedicated study time with summer class and work.

I don't have excuses for how I did. If I prepared longer and harder, my score would have gone up but at the expense of 2-3x the prep time I had available.

The first 2 weeks is simply figuring out how to study and what works what doesn't. Reviewing notes and reading content out of a book didn't work for me. Completely scratched that idea cause I was getting no where with it. Focused on doing practice problems and practice sections. Would work through the paragraphs and questions, review and learn as I went through. That was more efficient.

Do not rely on diagnostic tests to give you an accurate representation of what you'll score. My highest practice scores were 502-503-500. But I knew Physical Sciences would kill me. I shifted too much attention into Bio/Phys sciences and thus my Soci/Psych fell, but overall it was still higher total than my 2nd attempt. Cars I hit hard but found it much easier to figure out than sciences so I brushed up on it but used the majority of time for Bio/Phys.

Eat healthy. Exercise. When you are studying, no phone no social media. I went for blacks of 45 min straight within time of 1:15. Thought of it as taking 4 different exams in one day instead of 1 big one and it helped keep things in order.

Physics was a crap shoot. Had no problem with electromagnetics or concepts but anything that required deriving a memorized equation, I didn't bother. I took psych 2 years prior. All the material on actual exam day was completely covered within Princeton Review/Kaplan content. There was nothing covered in undergrad courses that weren't covered in the prep books which were necessary for the MCAT.

The 488 was a cold turkey. Did not prepare at all. Mostly pressure from parents.

The 493 was after winter hell PR course. School and work started up at the same time so I knew it wasn't going to be a 500 I was aiming for. When you get out of the actual exam, you can kind of pinpoint very accurately where you fell overall point wise. The 496 was 1 month dedicated study time with summer class and work.

I don't have excuses for how I did. If I prepared longer and harder, my score would have gone up but at the expense of 2-3x the prep time I had available.

The first 2 weeks is simply figuring out how to study and what works what doesn't. Reviewing notes and reading content out of a book didn't work for me. Completely scratched that idea cause I was getting no where with it. Focused on doing practice problems and practice sections. Would work through the paragraphs and questions, review and learn as I went through. That was more efficient.

Do not rely on diagnostic tests to give you an accurate representation of what you'll score. My highest practice scores were 502-503-500. But I knew Physical Sciences would kill me. I shifted too much attention into Bio/Phys sciences and thus my Soci/Psych fell, but overall it was still higher total than my 2nd attempt. Cars I hit hard but found it much easier to figure out than sciences so I brushed up on it but used the majority of time for Bio/Phys.

Eat healthy. Exercise. When you are studying, no phone no social media. I went for blacks of 45 min straight within time of 1:15. Thought of it as taking 4 different exams in one day instead of 1 big one and it helped keep things in order.

Physics was a crap shoot. Had no problem with electromagnetics or concepts but anything that required deriving a memorized equation, I didn't bother. I took psych 2 years prior. All the material on actual exam day was completely covered within Princeton Review/Kaplan content. There was nothing covered in undergrad courses that weren't covered in the prep books which were necessary for the MCAT.

Man, good to hear your feedback. I'm reading for content review and I'm really pushing myself to finish that chapter and the relevant questions. The sooner the reading/content review is done, the sooner I can start with the AAMC and FLs (the more important stuff). I may have to try your approach though and learn from questions since there are so many of them to finish. Anyways, I'm glad it worked out for you in terms of getting an acceptance!

Man, good to hear your feedback. I'm reading for content review and I'm really pushing myself to finish that chapter and the relevant questions. The sooner the reading/content review is done, the sooner I can start with the AAMC and FLs (the more important stuff). I may have to try your approach though and learn from questions since there are so many of them to finish. Anyways, I'm glad it worked out for you in terms of getting an acceptance!

Thank you.

The MCAT is what it is. Sucks for people who are bad with standardized exams like me but its a necessary assessment.

Hey guys, just a quick question regarding applications. I am waiting to get my MCAT score back February 28th and the LOR from the DPM I shadowed won't be finished until about next Wednesday so I was wondering if I should have my transcripts sent to the schools I plan to apply to prior to my MCAT, LOR's and application (I plan to have those sent in shortly after, maybe first week of March). I have heard that transcripts take a bit longer to be sent and processed so I was hoping I could get a head start. Also, the application says I can pay $65 to have my transcripts sent to my desired schools. Would anyone recommend this? It seems easiest but I was wondering if there is a catch I am not catching.

Anyway, thanks to everyone in advance for the help!

Hey guys, just a quick question regarding applications. I am waiting to get my MCAT score back February 28th and the LOR from the DPM I shadowed won't be finished until about next Wednesday so I was wondering if I should have my transcripts sent to the schools I plan to apply to prior to my MCAT, LOR's and application (I plan to have those sent in shortly after, maybe first week of March). I have heard that transcripts take a bit longer to be sent and processed so I was hoping I could get a head start. Also, the application says I can pay $65 to have my transcripts sent to my desired schools. Would anyone recommend this? It seems easiest but I was wondering if there is a catch I am not catching.

Anyway, thanks to everyone in advance for the help!

You should send the transcripts directly to AACPMAS. Your application needs to be verified before it can be sent to your chosen schools. The first step would be to have your schools send the transcripts to AACPMAS because that alone can take up to 2 weeks. Once AACPMAS have all your application materials such as transcripts, PS, payments, etc, they will then start the verification process, which can take up to 4 weeks (it's usually shorter, though).

You would also have to send your LORs using Interfolio and interfolio will send those letters to your designated schools. Do a search here to see past responses regarding these topics and I suggest you read the FAQs from the link below. GL

http://help.unicas.com:8888/aacpmasHelpPages/instructions/

Last edited:
What Dexter said.

Read this an hour earlier but was hella confused.

Use search function @medicine21595

Every question you had and more could've been answered by last year and this year's thread.

EDIT: If your MCAT comes out lower than 490, send in your apps anyways and sign up for retake June. Study your ass off.

Just wondering what I should aim to get on my MCAT

Biomedical Engineer Major ScGPA 2.95 (Univerisity of Miami)
Australian Podiatry Degree GPA 3.0 (Queensland University of Technology)

Register Australian podiatrist
1000+ Hrs of practical podiatric experience
500+ shadowing experience
LOR all from podiatrist
Currently working as a register podiatrist in Australia

I will greatly appreciate your feedback guys!

Just wondering what I should aim to get on my MCAT

Biomedical Engineer Major ScGPA 2.95 (Univerisity of Miami)
Australian Podiatry Degree GPA 3.0 (Queensland University of Technology)

Register Australian podiatrist
1000+ Hrs of practical podiatric experience
500+ shadowing experience
LOR all from podiatrist
Currently working as a register podiatrist in Australia

I will greatly appreciate your feedback guys!

Shoot for average. I was quoted 493 as lowest. Aim for 500.

Did you finish your degree? Are you currently in the U.S. or Australia?

Shoot for average. I was quoted 493 as lowest. Aim for 500.

Did you finish your degree? Are you currently in the U.S. or Australia?

Yes I finished both degrees.

I'm currently in Australia working as a podiatrist in a private clinic

Yes I finished both degrees.

I'm currently in Australia working as a podiatrist in a private clinic

Email your program of interest directly. There may be other options us pre-pods aren't aware of that can expedite the process for you.

If you absolutely need to re-enroll in a podiatry program instead of just taking boards + applying/finishing US residency, aim for 500 on MCAT.

Email your program of interest directly. There may be other options us pre-pods aren't aware of that can expedite the process for you.

If you absolutely need to re-enroll in a podiatry program instead of just taking boards + applying/finishing US residency, aim for 500 on MCAT.

I have looked into that- and the Australian Podiatry program is slightly different than the USA, as is a bachelor degree not a doctoral degree and you don't get the surgical training. Most schools want me to start from year 1.

I have looked into that- and the Australian Podiatry program is slightly different than the USA, as is a bachelor degree not a doctoral degree and you don't get the surgical training. Most schools want me to start from year 1.

That's rough. Sorry to hear man.

You'll be a complete shoe-in though. Just get that MCAT in whenever.

Would love to hear about your pod experiences over there and the logistics of moving cross continent. Whenever you have time, throw up a post for us.

That's rough. Sorry to hear man.

You'll be a complete shoe-in though. Just get that MCAT in whenever.

Would love to hear about your pod experiences over there and the logistics of moving cross continent. Whenever you have time, throw up a post for us.

Last edited:
Absolutely!

So, I was originally a pre-pod student just like you guys at the University of Miami. I was going to apply to 2014/2015 cycle 3 years ago once I finished my Biomedical Engineering degree, but right before I finished my wife got pregnant and wanted to move back to Australia for more family support. So I applied to the accelerated podiatry program at QUT. I earned credit from my previous degree and was able to finish my pod degree in 2.5 years instead of 4.

I enjoyed the podiatry system here in Australia, but it is very limited. They focus a lot on the biomechanics, orthotics prescribing, and acute podiatric care. I want to go back to the US because I want to be able to practice there one day and I want to get my surgical training as well. I will say that US podiatrist are at least 2 step ahead of Austrian podiatirst.

Get over the MCAT...You will fly through Pod school. It's more time and money but will be worth it down the road if you plan on staying in the US! Good luck!

I have been asking schools and apparently none of them haven't even come close to filling up their seats. I am just wondering if they are broadening their interview window up to that June 30th deadline to pick out the best applicants instead of trying to rush and fill their seats.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have been asking schools and apparently none of them haven't even come close to filling up their seats. I am just wondering if they are broadening their interview window up to that June 30th deadline to pick out the best applicants instead of trying to rush and fill their seats.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Not a lot of applicants in the first place.

Anyone have hard numbers on applicants versus MD/DO/DDS/OD?

Too lazy to look up.

2015 DPM:
Total applicants: 1194
Total matriculates: 674
From http://www.aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/2017-2018-CIB_DIGITAL-FINAL.pdf

2016-2017 MD:
Total applicants: 53,042
Total matriculates: 21,030
From https://www.aamc.org/download/321442/data/factstablea1.pdf

2014 DO:
Total applicants: 17,944
Total matriculates: 6,562
From https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/data-and-trends/2014_Mat.pdf?sfvrsn=14

2010 DDS (couldn't find anything more current):
Total applicants: 12,001
Total matriculates: 4,947
From ADEADentalSchoolAppEnrollees2010ClassExecSummaryTables.pdf

2015 OD:
Total applicants: 2,732
Total matriculates: 1,896
From http://www.aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/2017-2018-CIB_DIGITAL-FINAL.pdf

Last edited:
Fun fact: Stayed up too late playing BF1 and making this chart and missed lecture. Heh

Optometry is pretty prominent in my area.
Its also a solid backup for pre-meds who have the work ethic/acumen for MD/DO but didn't want to take a gap year.

Most pre-opto students I've seen (and this is purely anecdotal) have wanted to do it since they were young. I don't see the same drive/fascination with podiatry. Again purely anecdotal.

Fun fact: Stayed up too late playing BF1 and making this chart and missed lecture. Heh

Optometry is pretty prominent in my area.
Its also a solid backup for pre-meds who have the work ethic/acumen for MD/DO but didn't want to take a gap year.

Most pre-opto students I've seen (and this is purely anecdotal) have wanted to do it since they were young. I don't see the same drive/fascination with podiatry. Again purely anecdotal.

Well, awareness can be another reason why opt has more applicants than pods. A lot of people have a vague understanding on what a pod is and the schooling involved in becoming one.

Reactions: 4 users
So I just got an email from DMU saying that my application is being put on hold pending a reciept from the MCAT. I didnt know that I had to do that. (I figured they could just use the ID number you give them) All my stuff has already been verified. Will the fact that I just barely electronically sent my MCAT affect my timeline significantly?

Last edited:
So I just got an email from DMU saying that my application is being put on hold pending a reciept from the MCAT. I didnt know that I had to do that. (I figured they could just use the ID number you give them) All my stuff has already been verified. Will the fact that I just barely electronically sent my MCAT affect my timeline significantly?

Shouldn't be a problem.