AACPMAS 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long does it usually take to hear back from Western U after an interview?
Is November still considered an early interview?

It depends on when you interviewed. According to the admissions counselor, it is 'early' in the game still.
I would go ahead and apply asap! It was mentioned that around March is when things get super busy!

Members don't see this ad.

HII! is there anyone here who has accepted a spot in Scholl for this coming year Fall 2020? or is there a page for accepted students? I just put my deposit down so I want to connect with future students!

Im also going to scholl

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
hey congrats to all you guys, just wanted to know those going to NYCPM, what were your stats like?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an acceptance to WUCPM :) Anyone going to WesternU? I think I’m going to decline the II from other schools. Still debating between WUCPM and one other school though....

Got an acceptance to WUCPM :) Anyone going to WesternU? I think I’m going to decline the II from other schools. Still debating between WUCPM and one other school though....
Consider Western. They are working towards having the same curriculum with DOs and getting California Physicians Certificate to be able to sit for USMLE. Plus, I heard rotations and such will be similar or equal to DOs there.

Reactions: 1 users
Consider Western. They are working towards having the same curriculum with DOs and getting California Physicians Certificate to be able to sit for USMLE. Plus, I heard rotations and such will be similar or equal to DOs there.
Yeah that was what I was told. And, I 'heard' starting 'my year' will be able to sit for USMLE. And, rotations are at the same to DOs and some with UCLA med apparently.

I am ok with taking USMLE. I also think that if AMA want us to take USMLE, they have to require DO's to take USMLE as well. Because DOs do not have to take USMLE to be considered physicians and have unlimited license. But if it takes us to take USMLE, I am all for it. I also do not think that to be able to do well on USMLE we have to have exactly same lectures word for word at schools that are integrated with DOs. Because even DO school vary quite a bit. All we need is real motivation to study for USMLE and proper resources. You hear all these voices from MDs/DOs on how they would get rid of first 2 years because they are not really what makes one do well on USMLE. With Pass/Fail curriculum at MD/DO school, students are able to be relatively relaxed about their grades and hit Zanki, Pathoma, BnB and other resources their second year and focus on Boards. We do not really use these resources now because we do not really need most of that. To do well on PE, we need more emphasis on appropriate clinicals and rotations, I can agree with that.

There are thousands of FMGs and IMGs who do relatively well on USMLE even with their inferior education and ESL. I think our US DPM education is far superior than most FMG's, especially those who only had their degrees as Bachelors, or from developing countries, or schools where they specialize right away and focus on one specialty only. Therefore, I think most DPMs can do well enough on USMLE given we have a reason to do that (ability to get unlimited license and get paid appropriately) and prepare appropriately.

There are discussions if we lose our DPM identity or not if we start having full curriculum with DOs or MDs and have rotations with them. I think we can do similarly to what DOs do now. They have OMM lectures, exams and rotations focusing on OMM in addition to main curriculum. I think we can do similarly. We can have completely same main curriculum and have some courses or semester long courses that focus on Lower Extremity material. Not really hard to do not to compromise our LE focused training and keep DPM degree and our distinction. The only reason we have our 2nd year systems courses is because for each system we have several lectures that focus on LE. It is not hard to just have separate semester-long course that would just have focused LE lectures parallel to particular system at that time. During residency, most of our residencies already focus on majority of various specialties. I hear that rotations and residencies in the west are adding Ob/Gyn to their curriculum.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hello,

How many hours did you shadow a podiatrist? Just asking. Thank you.

Hello,

How many hours did you shadow a podiatrist? Just asking. Thank you.

On avg 10-20 hours to get a letter. Otherwise, shadow as much as you like.

Anyone deciding between Pod and another field should shadow Pods until they know if this is or isn't the field they want to pursue.

Hey guys! congrats on all your offers!

I have accepted my seat at CSPM Samuel Merritt. IF anyone else is going there, I would love to connect, especially since class sizes are so small.

Good luck to all those applying!

Members don't see this ad :)
How long to hear back from CSPM after the interview?
I heard back from CSPM last year by the end of the week. They pretty much had me going from the interview with a guaranteed acceptance because my interview went awesome. I think I had interviewed on a Monday, and they emailed me by Friday followed by a phone call.

I heard back from CSPM last year by the end of the week. They pretty much had me going from the interview with a guaranteed acceptance because my interview went awesome. I think I had interviewed on a Monday, and they emailed me by Friday followed by a phone call.
Did you get the post interview follow up from CSPM? Do they just send for people who probably can get accepted? (Because they also send two pod students emails)

I don’t remember about any follow up besides from the guy that ran the interviews just thanking us for making the trip out to California.
Did you get the post interview follow up from CSPM? Do they just send for people who probably can get accepted? (Because they also send two pod students emails)

Message me if you’re attending AZPOD and I’ll make a Class if 2024 group!

I am interviewing at DMU on Feb 28 and Scholl on March 2. I will be going to the area a day before. Anyone else who is also attending those interviews would you like to meet up and explore the cities together.

Submitted my AACPMAS and got a couple interviews, so pumped!

I just submitted my application, but I paid for professional Entry to submit my coursework. It was probably a mistake, since apparently it takes longer to be completed that way. Anyone knows how long is going to take for my app to be verified?

I just submitted my application, but I paid for professional Entry to submit my coursework. It was probably a mistake, since apparently it takes longer to be completed that way. Anyone knows how long is going to take for my app to be verified?
I would give it a week. Also I highly recommend you to double check the professional entry as they made several mistakes for my own transcript

Hey guys, quick question. I applied and received 3 interviews. My app is verified, but the schools did not receive the official MCAT score yet. How do you guys release the official mcat score? I went to AAMC and clicked send scores to aacpmas, but it’s been a week and my official score is still not sent to schools.
Is there something else I should do? I read someone saying they had the same problem last year but can’t find the forum

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Hey guys, quick question. I applied and received 3 interviews. My app is verified, but the schools did not receive the official MCAT score yet. How do you guys release the official mcat score? I went to AAMC and clicked send scores to aacpmas, but it’s been a week and my official score is still not sent to schools.
Is there something else I should do? I read someone saying they had the same problem last year but can’t find the forum

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Call AAMC and ask to have them walk you through sending the scores or double check that the scores were sent. You could even see if AAMC can send your score to an individual school versus your AACPMAS application.

Last edited by a moderator:
For your upcoming interviews and with this Coronavirus epidemic, I suggest emailing the programs before making travel plans like purchasing tickets and so on. I am sure a program will contact the interviewers in advance if there is a cancellation, but we as students should also do our part. If you are buying a future plane ticket, make sure to purchase insurance in case of a cancellation.

When traveling, follow the prevention guidelines directly from the CDC:

Hi everyone. I am trying to fill out the experiences section of the application but I am struggling with where to enter my non-clinical research experience. Did you guys enter it under "employment" or "healthcare experience"?

Hi everyone. I am trying to fill out the experiences section of the application but I am struggling with where to enter my non-clinical research experience. Did you guys enter it under "employment" or "healthcare experience"?

If it has any relation to medicine I'd put it under healthcare otherwise just put it in employment.

Hi All! Congrats to admitted students and best of luck to everyone who is still applying!

I wanted ask specifically those who applied/were accepted to Scholl - how many people included a diversity statement? I felt like most of my diversity was explained in my personal statement so I left it off... I'm wondering if I have made a grave mistake....

Hi All! Congrats to admitted students and best of luck to everyone who is still applying!

I wanted ask specifically those who applied/were accepted to Scholl - how many people included a diversity statement? I felt like most of my diversity was explained in my personal statement so I left it off... I'm wondering if I have made a grave mistake....

It should be okay; the diversity statement won't make/break your application, esp since you already have it in the PS.
If your stats are competitive, you will get that II.

Hi my question is how long does it take to be verified (2 weeks it seems)? I sent in my application last week (after shadowing and realizing this is the direction I want to go in medicine). Scholl would be my top choice and I just wondered if it is considered too late ( stats: 499, lots of ec's 3.6 cgpa 3.3 sgpa)?

Hi my question is how long does it take to be verified (2 weeks it seems)? I sent in my application last week (after shadowing and realizing this is the direction I want to go in medicine). Scholl would be my top choice and I just wondered if it is considered too late ( stats: 499, lots of ec's 3.6 cgpa 3.3 sgpa)?
If AACPMAS has received all necessary transcripts, it can take anywhere from 1-14 days I would say. Mine was varified in 2 days. And Scholl has a larger class size so they probably still have spots open, but you would have to call and ask.

If i had to take a guess, I would say Scholl still has open seats. My application was submitted back in September and I still receive emails to this day, from Scholl, asking if I would be available to interview.

If i had to take a guess, I would say Scholl still has open seats. My application was submitted back in September and I still receive emails to this day, from Scholl, asking if I would be available to interview.
You should officially withdraw your application if you haven't, so the schools know your plans have changed

I am applying to medical school and podiatry school so I have done a lot of shadowing under different specialties. Under the experience section on the podiatry app, should I include all of my shadowing experiences or just the podiatry shadowing?

I am applying to medical school and podiatry school so I have done a lot of shadowing under different specialties. Under the experience section on the podiatry app, should I include all of my shadowing experiences or just the podiatry shadowing?
add all shadowing

AACPM posted on their FB page the following today, might help future students:

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 9.59.20 PM.png

I started college back in 2010. Many of my pre-reqs were taken in 2012-2015 (sciences). I have heard that some schools don't accept pre-reqs that are "too old." Does anyone any experience with this and do you know any schools that will accept my pre-reqs? I have straight As in everything except Bs in Intro to Biology and a senior-level comparative physiology course.

I know I still need to retake the MCAT because my score is 4 years old (508), but this is the only age limit I've seen on a pre-requisite on all of the DPM schools' pre-req pages. DMU told me over the phone that they want coursework within 5 years to be more competitive. Anyone experience this at other schools?

For those schools with those kind of requirements, can't I just do recent graduate or upper-level undergrad coursework and get a solid score on the MCAT to negate this? I mean, the MCAT tests all the pre-req stuff.

In response to the AACPM post from FB - can anyone doing a virtual interview please give updates on how it went and platforms used for those of us still prepping? Thank you!

Hey everyone. I got an email that NYCPM decided to forgo the mcat for the remainder of the cycle, allowing applicants to apply now if they were being held up by the mcat. Does anyone know if any other schools decided to do this?

Yes, this is true and other schools are doing the same.

"If I calculated correctly its 2.48 cgpa and 2.8 science. "

You stated this in February of 2019.

Has anything changed since then?
Am not trying to beat you down.

Coming from someone who also had low stats, you need to take a serious look at your application and how hard the future will be if there was no improvement.

Hi there. Thanks for that info.
So I did indeed calculate my stats incorrectly. As of now I’m creeping below a 3.0 (2.93c, science I havent recalculated but it should be around the same) I’ve been doing a diy post bacc since graduating, taking upper level science courses. Also I’m not offended.
I know my flaws and I’m trying to do what I can do correct the gpa.

You're doing a great job.

Keep it up and good luck on this cycle.

Thank you for your honestly. I truly appreciate it. I actually just recalculated my updated sGPA and it’s at a 3.12. How do you think schools will view this? As compared to my cGPA that is still below 3.0. MCAT retake still pending because of cancellations.

Its improvement. Marked improvement.

Tells me you
1) figured out what you did wrong
2) took steps to fix it
3) disciplined enough to continue with those corrections and your grades prove it

Thank you for your honestly. I truly appreciate it. I actually just recalculated my updated sGPA and it’s at a 3.12. How do you think schools will view this? As compared to my cGPA that is still below 3.0. MCAT retake still pending because of cancellations.

Agreed with Weirdy. Nice job with the improvements; study hard for the MCAT!

Hello all,

A little late to the game but I just submitted my application to AACPMAS yesterday. I chose to apply to AZPod this for cycle.

I submitted my transcripts and MCAT scores as I was completing the application. My application went from "received" to "verified" in less than 12 hours... wow they are fast!

Fingers crossed there are still seats avail at AZPod!

Stats:
cGPA: 3.77
sGPA: 3.68
non-science: 3.91
MCAT: 495
EC's: hospital volunteering (>800 hours), ER scribe (~750 hours), Practice admin at hospital (~1200 hours), great research experience, homeless shelter medical care volunteer exp with podiatrist's (~100 hours), founder of club at hospital, entrepenurial experience. Dean's list all years and a poster presentation. Research manuscript hopefully published this year.

What do you guy's think?

Cheers!

i've recieved scholl interview! a little weird it is going to be online and i won't be able to see campus.