Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

AADSAS, 2010 cycle. Couple of questions.

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Zubnaya Feya, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Zubnaya Feya

Zubnaya Feya Combinator
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hey guys,

It's never too early to start preparing for new cycle =)
    Everyone is welcome to post their questions about the 2010 application process here...
    I'll start with a couple questions that I have:

1) I know AADSAS becomes available in mid May, however, some schools have "earliest filing dates" (taken from ADEA 2009 guide) in June or even July. With that in mind, if I submit the AADSAS in May the schools, whose earliest filing date is, for example, July, will start looking at submitted application only in July, right?

2)LORs. We send the LORs to AADSAS and they then copy them and distribute to each school that we have designated, right? Ie, I don't have to send, for example, 15 LORs to AADSAS if I am applying to 15 schools.

3) Probably an easy one. I have completed the DAT couple of weeks ago and specified a couple of schools for the scores to be sent. The schools keep the scores until they receive my application, right?

4) LORs again. Schools differ in LOR requirement. I plan to submit 3 Sci Prof letters and 1 dentist letter. What if one school requires 2 sci prof and 1 dentist while another school requires 3 sci prof? The LORs are just available from AADSAS for schools to pick out, right?

5) Could you mail the official transcripts to AADSAS before the application opens? Same with LORs?

Big thanks!:thumbup:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. eternalxdemon

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Yes

Yes

Yes, but if you plan on applying to more than 5 schools you should plan on having your official score reports sent to the schools you didn't have on added when u signed up to take the DAT.

Yes

This i'm not sure of...

4. sajjy

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The best thing is to get done with DAT before the application process. So, if you have taken the DAT then you are already ahead of the game.

1) Dont worry about when the schools will look at it. Make sure you apply as early as possible. Since you are done with the DAT then focus on your personal statement. Also i would suggest to make an account with the current cycle and print out the application. Make a draft of your application so you can submit soon after the next cycle will open.

2) Start working on getting the LORs from professors. They might take their sweet time of the world. You will have to ask your professors/committee to send/upload on AADSAS once and rest will be taken care by AADSAS (Keep track of your LORs once they are sent to AADSAS).

3) I was in the similar situation. Some schools might keep it while many will throw away. So, its just 125 bucks, i would say send it to them again to prevent any hassle.

4) Some schools will prefer a committee letter. As long as you fullfill this requirement then it doesnt matter. If not then try to get as many sci professors' LORs and a dentist letter. Even if you are using a committee letter, still try to have 3 sci professor, 1 non-sci professor, 1 dentist, employer and lab (e.g Organic Lab, but not required) TA's LORs. I pretty much tried to satisfy requirements for every school even though i was using a committee letter.
    AADSAS will send out everything to the schools once they have your stuff.

5) Send in your transcript as soon as the spring semester's grades are up. CREATE AN ACCOUNT ON MAY 15th and DO NOT WASTE A SINGLE DAY on sending out the transcript. Do not wait until your application is submitted. Get your transcript to AADSAS ASAP!!!! Same goes for the LOR's also.
    You need to have an account with your cycle which will give you a Transcript Matching form with your ID in form of barcode. So, no you have to wait until your cycle will open and you need to have an account.

Two important things to get into a dental school : All round application and EARLY SUBMISSION!!!!!

5. supraman

supraman Boston Celtics
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    yo you know aadsas got faq, read up

6. Zubnaya Feya

Zubnaya Feya Combinator
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    But AADSAS only accepts 4 LORs... They have it in their guide. Should I just mail extra ones to schools directly?
    And, as suggested, I went to FAQ and they actually do not want their applicants to send the transcripts and scores before application becomes available.

Also... this committee letter thing... I went to UW for undergrad and am not sure if they have such a committee there. I just started getting LORs together without thinking about committee. Then I noticed some schools have committee letters as a must in the application.
    I am not sure, does anyone know if UW has an advising committee?

7. eternalxdemon

2+ Year Member

Dental Student

My school had a letter of rec service where all the people who wrote LOR's for me sent the LOR's to the letter service and they together compiled the packet and sent it to aadsas. you should look in to whether or not your school has a letter of rec service b/c it's a real nice way to keep the LOR's organized and you don't have to worry as much.

8. Chesnok

Chesnok Waiting game has ended
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I started ordering transcripts on May, 15 , the first day when the appl-n opens.
    OHHH. look I recalled that you cannot order your transcripts UNTIL you attach the transcript matching forms (you have to say to the registar to attach those forms to your transcripts). In addition, you can ONLY get those forms WHEN appl-n opens on May, 15. I know, you have to wait but it's the way how it works. B/c AADSAS wants you to send all your transcripts with those matchong forms to prevnt delay in processing that you really don't want to happen.
    The same story goes with LORs; you have to print out LOR matching forms and fill them out but you can only do that on May, 15.

PM me if you have more q's.

Good Luck. And Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

9. Zubnaya Feya

Zubnaya Feya Combinator
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    We have such a service here in UW, but, as I understand, it is different from the "committee letter." The service is there to only organize LORs.

10. blissy07

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    zubnaya-

i go to UW for undergrad too (and now uw sod c/o 2013 baby! woohoo!)

we do not have a pre-health commitee. so for all schools requesting 1 committee letter in lieu of separate faculty/dentist letters...you're outta luck. Separate letters are fine though, no worries.

Different schools do have different letter requirements. I submitted what most of my schools wanted through aadsas (2 science faculty, 1 non-science faculty, 1 dentist). Then, if any specific school wanted something else, i contacted the admissions office and figured out what to do (most said to just send them the letter directly). Note: I used the career center's LOE service in mary gates to keep a stock of letters. I think I stockpiled like 8 letters (2 sci faculty, 1 non sci, 3 dentists, 1 research, 1 hospital character ref). I picked the 4 to send to aadsas from these...and worked with individual schools to send whatever else was needed. I ended up sending an additional 5th letter (from my research PI) directly to UCLA, UW, etc. just make sure to contact the school and make sure its okay! they are generally understanding of the fact that submitting 4 letters to aadsas will not cover ALL schools' letter requirements. hope this helped

#9 blissy07, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  11. ilovemoney

Pre-Dental
    Hi all,

I almost shoot myself when I got an email from AADSAS messenger saying that the deadline is coming for my application. The problem is I totally didn't notice that I was applying for 2009, but I wanted 2010. However, I did SAVE some stuff but I did not SUBMIT anything. Is this going to affect my application during AADSAS for 2010??? I totally did not realize that and I feel stupid now... :(:eek::confused::scared:

12. Jake8

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    My school was pretty cool with the letters of rec. The letter service collected them all and would take up to seven I believe, but when they sent them out it was sent to AADSAS as one letter. The letter came from the Office person but in her letter contained each and every letter the service had. I am sure AADSAS wasn't happy but it made my life a little better.

13. supraman

supraman Boston Celtics
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The 2010 cycle opens May 15th 2009, as long as you didn't submit anything, then your fine.

14. kiaekbia

Pre-Dental
    It looks as though they are going to make the 2010 AADSAS applications available starting June 1st, 2009 rather than May 15th as in the last couple of years. I got on today excited to get started on the process but looks like we will have to wait another two weeks.

https://portal.aadsasweb.org/

15. AJS11

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I am new to this forum, and I just started to research what I need to do in order to apply.

I am confused now. If I am starting my Junior year Fall 09, then I need to apply for the 2010 application in June of 2010, right?

16. vlct0ria

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Yes, if you apply in June 2010, you would be planning on entering dental school in fall 2011.