Chemboy23

10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2008
Jackson, MS
Status
Pre-Dental
I have a few questions...

1) Under my AADSAS "school decision" tab, only a few of the schools which I've applied to are listed...the others are all listed under the "dental school designation" tab and have not updated since like early October...why are the others not showing up under the "school decision" tab?

2) I have applied to 10 different schools and to date, I have yet to receive one rejection. Why is this? I've seen students with stats far more stellar than myself that have lots of interviews, but also have a few rejections. I'm confused and it feels like they've forgotten me or something :eek:

3) I interviewed at Loma Linda on Oct. 28th and my interview went really really well. My interviewer was very interested in my life story. My stats match up with what Loma Linda is looking for (or their averages at least)...but my PAT score is a 16. Do you think this will keep me out of school here? This is the only thing of mine that is below what they consider their average accepted statistic. With a 3.46/3.32 and a 19/20/16 DAT...is there any chance of me being accepted Dec. 1st? I'm SDA also, so I've heard this helps a lot. I talked to a D4 and he said it looks very well for me that I was interviewing there so early. Just wondering what you all think...

Thanks so much for all of you help!!!!

Best of Luck to Everyone!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
1) Some schools like NYU do not update on AADSAS and you just have to wait for their response via email/mail. You should call them to make sure.

2) I "heard" there are a lot of applicants this year, so be patient.

3) I actually have an interview at Loma Linda on Dec. 15. I was wondering who you received an interview from? What kind of questions they asked and so on. I did hear being SDA helps a lot and if you went to their sister schools.

Lastly, don't sweat! Everything will be alright man. Whatever happens, "it is what it is." =)

OP
Chemboy23

Chemboy23

10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2008
Jackson, MS
Status
Pre-Dental
mrdorky...i posted a long explanation of my interview...i'll find it really quick and repost.

OP
Chemboy23

Chemboy23

10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2008
Jackson, MS
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi to All,

I hope the applications are going well for all and you've had at least one interview by now. I just wanted to write a thread to ease your minds a little about what to expect if you go on an interview at Loma Linda. I think they interview on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays...so I interviewed on a Thursday (Oct. 28th), and I will speak about it.

1) When you show up, ride the elevator to the fifth floor and check in at the door right across the hall from the elevator entrance.

2) You will be required to write a simple, one-page essay on a subject (mine was "Where do you turn during times of high pressure in your life?" and I cannot remember the other one)

3) You fill out a simple form and the lady at the desk will let you watch an iTouch video(s) of different mission trips and give you a little booklet about the different programs the school of dentistry offers.

4) If you're lucky, Dr. Hooker will come and get you for your interview. He is an amazing man and is very interesting. He teaches Neuro to D1s and will ask you some very BASIC questions...
-Why Loma Linda?
-Tell me about your faith and how it ties into your everyday life?
-He made a roadmap of my whole family because he thought my life and the adversity I overcame in life was very interesting
-Talks about classes you've taken/prereqs/DAT scores, etc... (I had a 17 and he told me it was a little low...so I'm retaking on Nov. 14th)

***The interview process is sooooo simple and laid back, so try to schedule on Thursday and get Dr. Hooker. He's also a family and marriage counselor, so he's great at dealing with these situations and making you feel more comfortable.

Setting: a small room, a simple module desk, and you and him...face-to-face...not intimidating at all!

5) After your interview (if you chose, and YOU SHOULD , you will be given a tour of the school by a senior student (I had a D4 named Steven) and they will basically show you all the clinical layouts and classrooms, etc...)

This was the best school I've been to yet and I hope I get in there! I'm SDA so hopefully I have a decent shot. Anyways, just wanted to share some information with you all since you're non-stop in sharing with everyone else! Best of luck and happy interviewing!

**Hope this helps!

Pennywisdom

10+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Chemboy, I hope you don't mind if I post my question here. I'm a little concerned about Loma Linda.

=============================

I interviewed with Dr. Golden, who was very friendly and informative. However, I came out of the interview stressed and worried. The reason was not because Dr. Golden grilled me with questions. In fact, he barely asked me any questions. We talked about my family and went through my application for about 5 minutes. For the remaining 25 minutes, he talked about the school and the opportunities students have at LLU. The "interview", if you want to call it, was very conversational and laid back.

My guess is that he felt he knew everything there is to know about me. I think he read my application thoroughly, but I really wished he asked me a couple of questions.

After talking to Dr. Golden, I spent a lot of time talking to their students and the admission staff. The biggest impression that I got is that the faculty at LLU truly cares about its students. They also seem to have a very tight student-faculty network.

For those who had an interview with Dr. Golden, how did you interview go?

OP
Chemboy23

Chemboy23

10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2008
Jackson, MS
Status
Pre-Dental
Chemboy, I hope you don't mind if I post my question here. I'm a little concerned about Loma Linda.

I interviewed with Dr. Golden, who was very friendly and informative. However, I came out of the interview stressed and worried. The reason was not because Dr. Golden grilled me with questions. In fact, he barely asked me any questions. We talked about my family and went through my application for about 5 minutes. For the remaining 25 minutes, he talked about the school and the opportunities students have at LLU. The "interview", if you want to call it, was very conversational and laid back.

My guess is that he felt he knew everything there is to know about me. I think he read my application thoroughly, but I really wished he asked me a couple of questions.

After talking to Dr. Golden, I spent a lot of time talking to their students and the admission staff. The biggest impression that I got is that the faculty at LLU truly cares about its students. They also seem to have a very tight student-faculty network.

Sure, no problem :)

hoylematt

10+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental

I interviewed with Dr. Golden as well and I felt the same way. Although when I felt that the interview was going the way that you describe, I made sure to interject anytime I could to explain the most that I could about myself. I really felt in a way that he just wanted to talk openly, and the topics that I mentioned I fell portray me enough that I didn't feel "unexamined". From what I have heard from other people Dr. Golden may be one of the less high-pressure interviewers, but I left the interview feeling good about it and that I had said everything I wanted to.

OP
Chemboy23

Chemboy23

10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2008
Jackson, MS
Status
Pre-Dental
It must be that all of the interviewers here do that. I felt the exact same way in my interview. Sometimes it's better to get to know someone as a person instead of a number. I mean honestly, you're not there to discuss numbers or be too uptight...they want to know what makes you tick. As Matt said, don't be fake because they can sense it from a mile off. No one likes a fake person...they're looking for trustworthy, humble, God-loving individuals that want to make a difference in the lives of people. Just be you and don't worry about the rest, it will take care of itself. :D