AADSAS and Letters of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddsnp

DDSNP
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was wondering which letters of recs I should send to dental schools. I've accumulated 6 over my college career and now its time to pick and choose. But, i have no idea which ones to send. If you guys could help that would be great. I also don't know what is said in it because i've waived my rights to see them. I have the following:
1. From O chem i took soph year
2. Advanced composition i took junior year
3. Shaddowing
4. Core Bio class
5. Advanced bio class
7.Research prof for about 1.5 years

For all the classes I've gotten As except o chem which i got an A-.

Another question is who would you send your letters to directly to the school or through aadsas?

And for the application fees for the schools do you send them before aadsas sends out our applications to those schools or does it matter when we do that?

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

are these ref letters recent? and directly related to you applying to dental school?

if not, then i think it's a good idea to ask your recommenders to write new ones directed to u wanting to go to d-school.

depending on what each individual school wants...u might need to send 3 letters from 3 science profs..OR 2 sci profs + 1 non-sci prof OR 1 sci prof + 1 dentist + 1 who knows u on a personal level... u'll find out what each school wants in their homepages, etc.

ppl in the past have had problems with AADSAS losing their stuff..or not getting thi stuff sent efficently to schools.
AADSAS will makes x number of copies of anything u send to them and distrubute it to your list of schools.
if u want to get your letters to your schools a lil faster (& safer...) then u can send it to the schools yourself...but some schools may ask you to send everything to AADSAS...so just read what each school wants...yet again! :D

gdluck.

ddsnp said:
Hey guys,
I was wondering which letters of recs I should send to dental schools. I've accumulated 6 over my college career and now its time to pick and choose. But, i have no idea which ones to send. If you guys could help that would be great. I also don't know what is said in it because i've waived my rights to see them. I have the following:
2. Advanced composition i took junior year
3. Shaddowing
4. Core Bio class
5. Advanced bio class
7.Research prof for about 1.5 years

For all the classes I've gotten As except o chem which i got an A-.

Another question is who would you send your letters to directly to the school or through aadsas?

And for the application fees for the schools do you send them before aadsas sends out our applications to those schools or does it matter when we do that?

Thanks a lot for all your help.

I sent in 4 letters. One from a dentist, one from a professor I did research with, and 2 from science classes - organic chemistry and biology. That should pretty much cover any school, except for maybe the few that want a "non-science" LOR. I recommend looking at the websites of each school you are applying to in order to see what type of LORs to send.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 9 LOR's on me Right Now!

1) 2 from different Dentists
2) 3 from science professor
3) 2 from non-science
4) 2 from employers

Of these that I've requested to get back, I've chosen the better of the two dentists (1), two of the best science professors (2), and one non-science (1) and one employer (1).

Altogether, I have 5 LOR's

Here's my question - do you think it's silly to send in ALL 5? I ask this because some schools ask for LOR's that other schools don't ask for and vice versa - this way, every school get's what it requires, (and more).

That's the part I don't like - the 'and more' part. Am I too paranoid? Anyone have this same problem? What should I do? Heeeeelp!

fruity_trident said:
are these ref letters recent? and directly related to you applying to dental school?

if not, then i think it's a good idea to ask your recommenders to write new ones directed to u wanting to go to d-school.

depending on what each individual school wants...u might need to send 3 letters from 3 science profs..OR 2 sci profs + 1 non-sci prof OR 1 sci prof + 1 dentist + 1 who knows u on a personal level... u'll find out what each school wants in their homepages, etc.

ppl in the past have had problems with AADSAS losing their stuff..or not getting thi stuff sent efficently to schools.
AADSAS will makes x number of copies of anything u send to them and distrubute it to your list of schools.
if u want to get your letters to your schools a lil faster (& safer...) then u can send it to the schools yourself...but some schools may ask you to send everything to AADSAS...so just read what each school wants...yet again! :D

gdluck.

They are all for dental school. I was set on dental school since the 10 grade so I had my profs write them specifically for dental school. Thanks for your advice!

I have a couple of responses for ddsnp and naithgirw...

for ddsnp:
I'd choose the following three:
2. Core Bio class or Advanced bio class
3.Research prof for about 1.5 years or shaddowing--depending on what schools what...if you're planning on going into reserach, I"d choose the research prof, if the school specifically wants a dentist..I'd choose the shaddowing onel.

If they're not dated within the past 6-12 monthes, I'd highly recommend asking those people to retype/redate those letters.

For naithgirw

I'd still go by the rule I've responded to ddsnp...3 total (I'd been told by the director of the ad com of a certain school) will be enough. More than 3 will a) waste their time reading through the extra letters b) they'll start to think why do you have more than 3...is there something "wrong" with this person that I should know about

For the three- I'd go with
1) 1 dentist (this is like your non science....so 2 birds 1 stone)
2) 1 science prof
3) 1 science prof

Hope this helps :)