1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

AADSAS Dentistry Experience with a Relative?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by jlee1986, May 17, 2008.

1. jlee1986

Dental Student
    hey guys,

do u think it'll look bad if i write down that i shadowed my father who's an oral surgeon? i definitely have another shadowing experience with someone not related to me (hell, i'll put that one first), but i didn't know how adcoms would see my shadowing experience with my dad. i definitely don't want to come off as that kid who is only pursuing dentistry just because their dad's a dentist. what would you do if you were me?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. blankguy

Dental Student
    There's nothing wrong about being inspired to follow the footsteps of your father. Just make sure you see the profession for what it is. I think trying to get proof that you've shadowed/volunteered for him might be a bit tricky for those schools that specifically ask for documentation for such. You obviously can't get him to write you a LOR but maybe just a note stating that you've volunteered or shadowed. :confused: If you can't get the other person that you've done that to write for you a LOR.

4. jlee1986

Dental Student
    which schools specifically ask for hours from dentists? also, would these schools ask for the hours from all of the dentists that i put in my application?