AADSAS GPA calculation error is about to kill my dental dream

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentsun

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The graduate school I am attending uses letter grade "E" for exempted courses that I have taken previously from other schools. However, AADSAS transcript processing center converts letter grade "E" automatically to "F", which means fail of courses. I initially noticed this problem when entering coursework through online application. The error decreases my GPA all the way from 3.45 to 2.87 because I had quite a few exempted courses on graduate school transcript. I am kind worried about it and called AADSAS customer center at 1-800-353-2237. The girl did not have an answer and she had to ask her supervisor. A few days later, I called in again. she said she got answer for me: Do not worry about it and just submit the application by clicking "e-submit" button and pay the application fee of over $1000. So I did what she told me. My school registrar also wrote a letter to explain grade "E" used in my school together with the official transcript and transcript key instruction sheet. While waiting three weeks for AADSAS GPA calculation, I called AADSAS multiple times for this matter. The answer is: "do not worry, we have records that you called us. Transcript verfication dept. can see these phone records." After long wait, AADSAS finally finished GPA calcuation and verification. No surprise, they converted all my grade "E" to "F", there are six "F"s on my AADSAS application now which I have never got for my life! My GPA went from 3.45 to 2.87, which my dental dream is over. The whole day yesterday and today, I am so sad and feel almost the end of my life, because I have put so much effort, time, money for two-year of predental courses after college, kaplan DAT. This is all for my dream to become a dentist.
I have no idea what to do. My graduate school has done the best they can do. I will call them again on Monday, but most likely they tell me:"do not worry about it, just wait..." There are about two weeks left before dental schools start to receive AADSAS mail-out. What should I do? Friends, please give me some ideas? Just go to AADSAS transcript processing center? They are in Massachusetts. Should I talk to a lawyer? That seems to take long time, too. I really appreciate any advice and help.

Members don't see this ad.

The first thing that I would do is CALL ALL THE SCHOOLS THAT YOU APPLIED TO! Let them know! Also you might want to send transcripts to the schools seperatley, or have you grad program send them the letter that they gave to ADDSAS. So make sure you cover all your bases with every school. They will understand! They know ADDSAS is very unorganized when it comes to situations like this. Good luck.

First of all - YOU CAN RELAX!

It is not the end of the World! You can always try out for dental hygenist. You'd be considered early if you applied to several schools! Also, you have a great GPA, and that would be ONE less person I'd have to compete with! You are doing us ALL a favor! Thanks for taking one for the team!

Okay, enough with the jokes!

AADSAS 'are' slow. But the trick is, to keep calling them. I did! And it worked. That is the only way around. When you call, ask to speak to the supervisor. The people who pick up initially don't know what they are talking about - they have a huge manual infront of them, and respond word for word to several 'common' questions...

...and if they can't find your question on their sheet, then there is a computer malfunction.

Call EVERY DAY, and speak to an advisor. If they do not change your GPA online, then keep calling until they do.

Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
joebucks said:
The first thing that I would do is CALL ALL THE SCHOOLS THAT YOU APPLIED TO! Let them know! Also you might want to send transcripts to the schools seperatley, or have you grad program send them the letter that they gave to ADDSAS. So make sure you cover all your bases with every school. They will understand! They know ADDSAS is very unorganized when it comes to situations like this. Good luck.

Ummmm.....ignore my post. I agree with this!

CALL ALL SCHOOLS YOU APPLIED TO!

iambatman said:
Ummmm.....ignore my post. I agree with this!

CALL ALL SCHOOLS YOU APPLIED TO!

I wouldn't ignore your post. On top of calling the schools, still do whatever it takes to get the problem changed. Calling ADDSAS everyday is also part of the way to get the problem changed, in fact it is the only way to get it changed. If you get it changed, everything will be much easier.

Thanks a lot guys. I will call both AADSAS and the dental schools from tomorrow, and look into dental hygenist programs as well. I guess it will be a tough work to deal with AADSAS. Thanks again.

dentsun said:
Thanks a lot guys. I will call both AADSAS and the dental schools from tomorrow, and look into dental hygenist programs as well. I guess it will be a tough work to deal with AADSAS. Thanks again.

he was joking with "Okay, enough with the jokes!" when it came to hygenist programs, unless that is the path you want to take.