Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustt Mustt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Great Lakes State
Status
This is my first post so Hi everyone. I ahve been reading posts here on and off for quite a while and you guys been really helpfull. Here is my question.
I am Non-native Engiish speaker and when I moved this country about 5 years ago I started with English As a Second Language Classes for 3 semesters and total of 40 credits. Now do I need to put those classes in AADSAS application when I apply. Does anyone here know how to go about this classes.

my another question is if I apply in May of 2005, do I need to be in US in July and early august becasue I am planning on beng out of US for about 40 days. What is usually a timeline for secondaries and Interviews. Thanks

aceking

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
Status
Those days will be fairly important if you apply in May. Secondaries start comming like 1.5-2 months after u apply. Some secondaries can be done online but there are a lot of schools that you have to actually mail it in. Some school they just want your money. U may even get interviews by Aug too

any class that is not listed specifically on the list just go for e.g."english other"

paolorossifan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
Status
Mustt Mustt said:
This is my first post so Hi everyone. I ahve been reading posts here on and off for quite a while and you guys been really helpfull. Here is my question.
I am Non-native Engiish speaker and when I moved this country about 5 years ago I started with English As a Second Language Classes for 3 semesters and total of 40 credits. Now do I need to put those classes in AADSAS application when I apply. Does anyone here know how to go about this classes.

my another question is if I apply in May of 2005, do I need to be in US in July and early august becasue I am planning on beng out of US for about 40 days. What is usually a timeline for secondaries and Interviews. Thanks
Regardless of what classes you took, you should do yourself, us and any potential patients a favor and retake your ESL courses. I don't believe the grammar you've used will impress any dental school. I'm a little annoyed having had to listen to so many of my classmates and thier broken english. I'd hate to have another four years of it.

oralskills

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
NY
Status
paolorossifan said:
Regardless of what classes you took, you should do yourself, us and any potential patients to retake your ESL. I don't believe the grammar you've used will impress any dental school.
Paolorossifan, maybe you should take the class with him.

paolorossifan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
Status
oralskills said:
Paolorossifan, maybe you should take the class with him.
You caught my mistake as I was editing my original post.

oralskills

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
NY
Status
paolorossifan said:
Regardless of what classes you took, you should do yourself, us and any potential patients to retake your ESL. I don't believe the grammar you've used will impress any dental school. I'm a little annoyed having had to listen to so many of my classmates and thier broken english. I'd hate to have another four years of it.
Why are there such Azzholes like you in this world? The guy has been here for 5 years and his grades are good enough to apply to dental school. Instead of recognizing all of the things he has accomplished, you put him down because of his english. You are such an freaking loser.

paolorossifan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
Status
oralskills said:
Why are there such Azzholes like you in this world? The guy has been here for 5 years and his grades are good enough to apply to dental school. Instead of recognizing all of the things he has accomplished, you put him down because of his english. You are such an freaking loser.
Not a loser. Just being practical. I think many of us had a terrible time in undergrad trying accomodate for suckers who couldn't understand what the prof was saying. Welcome to the real world, its not all "we are the world" out here. They would not have had an english portion on the DAT (or MCAT, LSAT, etc) if it wasn't important. If your going to try to make it here, at least learn to speak the bloody language well! Then move on to the next step.

OP
Mustt Mustt

Mustt Mustt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Great Lakes State
Status
paolorossifan said:
Regardless of what classes you took, you should do yourself, us and any potential patients a favor and retake your ESL courses. I don't believe the grammar you've used will impress any dental school. I'm a little annoyed having had to listen to so many of my classmates and thier broken english. I'd hate to have another four years of it.
May be my english is not as good as yours or many other students but it was good enough to get me a 4.0 in Upper Level Writing Class at University of Michigan. Get used to it becasue it is tough road far ahead. By 2020 more people would be speaking english as their second language than native speakers themselves in the world and lots of them will be in US. Now do us all favor and stop complaining about peoples english becasue I have seen very few american kids read and write properly in their native language "English"

OP
Mustt Mustt

Mustt Mustt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Great Lakes State
Status
aceking said:
Those days will be fairly important if you apply in May. Secondaries start comming like 1.5-2 months after u apply. Some secondaries can be done online but there are a lot of schools that you have to actually mail it in. Some school they just want your money. U may even get interviews by Aug too

any class that is not listed specifically on the list just go for e.g."english other"
Thanks for your advice. Does anyone know if I ahve to put those classes in or not. If I do need to put it does it count toward my total GPA because my school itself doesn't count in my over all GPA but gives a grades for it. It would be better if they are counted towards my over all GPA since I ahve good grades on them.

OP
Mustt Mustt

Mustt Mustt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Great Lakes State
Status
paolorossifan said:
Not a loser. Just being practical. I think many of us had a terrible time in undergrad trying accomodate for suckers who couldn't understand what the prof was saying. Welcome to the real world, its not all "we are the world" out here. They would not have had an english portion on the DAT (or MCAT, LSAT, etc) if it wasn't important. If your going to try to make it here, at least learn to speak the bloody language well! Then move on to the next step.
Don't worry its OK. ADCOM will be impressed by my 21 in RC and 22AA and 22TS so don't worry about it. My best letter of recommendation is from my English teacher and its the best one. She e-mailed me copy of the letter she wrote for me and she had lots of good to say about my english and improvements I have made.

oralskills

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
NY
Status
paolorossifan said:
The word is "accommodate". It appears to me that you are the only sucker here. Your claim to fame is that you know english? You blame non-native enlgish speakers for holding up your classes? What kept a genius like you from getting a 4.0?

paolorossifan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
Status
Mustt Mustt said:
Don't worry its OK. ADCOM will be impressed by my 21 in RC and 22AA and 22TS so don't worry about it. My best letter of recommendation is from my English teacher and its the best one. She e-mailed me copy of the letter she wrote for me and she had lots of good to say about my english and improvements I have made.
Excellent DAT scores! It appears I have hurt your feelings, perhaps reinvigorated a sense of inadequacy you yourself have felt inside as one relatively new to this country. I apologize. It must make you feel superior that you were able to conquer the mighty task of learning english and persevere on your DATs (and at Ann Arbor). All the while crushing "native speakers" with your grades en route to dental school. My hat is off to you sir. Continue to make public your stats. Inflate them as you so choose. If your happy, were all happy.

paolorossifan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
Status
oralskills said:
The word is "accommodate". It appears to me that you are the only sucker here. Your claim to fame is that you know english? You blame non-native enlgish speakers for holding up your classes? What kept a genius like you from getting a 4.0?
It wasn't them that kept me from getting a 4.0, that would be my own laziness. I just hate having to sit through some of my classes and critique presentation, after presentation of some schmuck who can't pronounce "the".

oralskills

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
NY
Status
paolorossifan said:
Excellent DAT scores! It appears I have hurt your feelings, perhaps reinvigorated a sense of inadequacy you yourself have felt inside as one relatively new to this country. I apologize. It must make you feel superior that you were able to conquer the mighty task of learning english and persevere on your DATs (and at Ann Arbor). All the while crushing "native speakers" with your grades en route to dental school. My hat is off to you sir. Continue to make public your stats. Inflate them as you so choose. If your happy, were all happy.

"All the while crushing "native speakers" with your grades en route to dental school. " <== This is a FRAGMENT. schmuck!!!

Profchaos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
Status
oralskills said:
Hey Watch your mouth, paolorossifan's not a loser. C'mon he's with Columbia! I think he's just a little annoyed by the broken English thing. I speak another language, and I'd admit when I saw broken grammar or whatever in my own language I'd be annoyed as well.
With that kind of score, Mustt Mustt might be in CU next year, and this way he can discuss further about this with Paolorossifan. There's one thing I have to agree with Mustt Mustt. That a second language is hard to master. It might be easy to communicate but when it comes down to writing, nobody can get it as perfectly as a native English speaker.
On Mustt Mustt's application, just put down the ESL classes as they are. I had ESL classes too (3 in my first year) and I'm sure the dental schools will be impressed by your 4.0.
Good luck :thumbup:

Profchaos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
Status
Mustt Mustt said:
Just a note here, an English teacher is not supposed to write you a letter. The letter has to be from your science teacher. Wait a minute, unless you've already had 2 from science teachers and this is the last letter. BTW, how old are you? If you are 22 and speak broken English they won't be happy but if you are 35 I'm sure they will tolerate a little bit.

rocknightmare

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
Status
Dental Student
can't everybody just get along?

Many of my professors in college didn't speak the perfect english. Thats because they weren't born here and/or they were just transfers for the year. I hated it while I was there. But I also understood that I was being taught by the best of the best.

paolorossifan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
Status
Profchaos said:
Hey Watch your mouth, paolorossifan's not a loser. C'mon he's with Columbia! I think he's just a little annoyed by the broken English thing. I speak another language, and I'd admit when I saw broken grammar or whatever in my own language I'd be annoyed as well.
With that kind of score, Mustt Mustt might be in CU next year, and this way he can discuss further about this with Paolorossifan. There's one thing I have to agree with Mustt Mustt. That a second language is hard to master. It might be easy to communicate but when it comes down to writing, nobody can get it as perfectly as a native English speaker.
On Mustt Mustt's application, just put down the ESL classes as they are. I had ESL classes too (3 in my first year) and I'm sure the dental schools will be impressed by your 4.0.
Good luck :thumbup:
Well put my friend. I also learned english second to the language of my parents (albeit through watching Sesame Street as a child).

paolorossifan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
Status
oralskills said:
"All the while crushing "native speakers" with your grades en route to dental school. " <== This is FRAGMENT. schmuck!!!
Yes it is. This is [A SENTENCE] fragment.

SadSmile

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Status
My best letter of recommendation is from my English teacher and its the best one. She e-mailed me copy of the letter she wrote for me and she had lots of good to say about my english and improvements I have made.
Just wondering here but I thought letters of recommendation must be confidential. In other words, only the Deans of Admissions or your Pre-Health committee that's writing you a composite letter could see the letters.

Let me know if I'm wrong.

QuietGuy

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2004
Status
paolorossifan said:
All the while crushing "native speakers" with your grades en route to dental school.
Pao, what you wrote is not a sentence. With that said, I think we should stop the nonsense and get back to helping each other out.

QuietGuy

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2004
Status
SadSmile said:
Just wondering here but I thought letters of recommendation must be confidential. In other words, only the Deans of Admissions or your Pre-Health committee that's writing you a composite letter could see the letters.

Let me know if I'm wrong.

If the professor doesn't think highly of you, then the letter will be confidential. There is nothing to stop a professor from letting you see the letter if all he has to say are nice things about you.

SadSmile

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Status
At my school, it was recommended that all Pre-Med and Pre-Dent students sign a "confidentiality" agreement. By the agreement, we were prohibited from seeing what the professors had said on their letters before they sent the letters to the Pre-Health committee so the committee could write a composite letter.

All of my professors asked me if I wanted to see their letters but I declined for the confidentiality reason.

I guess it's different for schools.

OP
Mustt Mustt

Mustt Mustt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Great Lakes State
Status
SadSmile said:
At my school, it was recommended that all Pre-Med and Pre-Dent students sign a "confidentiality" agreement. By the agreement, we were prohibited from seeing what the professors had said on their letters before they sent the letters to the Pre-Health committee so the committee could write a composite letter.

All of my professors asked me if I wanted to see their letters but I declined for the confidentiality reason.

I guess it's different for schools.
I think it depends on the professors. I did sign that confidentiality agreement but she showed me anyway. So ADCOM thinks I don't know what is in the letter but I do know. Two of my science letters I haven't seen it but I think they are good as well. She showed me becasue she knew me really well at the end of the semester. I went her office hours every week becasue I had to work really hard in that class.

Also thanks all who replied. I checked last years AADSAS instructions which has subject code for ESL classes.

Tzips

Chocoholic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
Peering around the corner...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
rocknightmare said:
can't everybody just get along?

Many of my professors in college didn't speak the perfect english. Thats because they weren't born here and/or they were just transfers for the year. I hated it while I was there. But I also understood that I was being taught by the best of the best.
Having sttudents who don't speak perfect, or even passable, English is one thing; having professors like that is quite another. Ok, sure, if the prof can communicate very well, only occaisionally messes up things like articles, and is a great prof, than I can understand why he/she was hired. But how about those who cannot form a complete sentence to save their lives (or jobs), or the ones with accents so bad they're nearly unintelligible? I have a distinct memory of sitting in physics lab, desperately leafing through the manual to try to figure out what this "awa", which my lab instructor had been mentioning all class, could possibly be. It took my until the end of lab to understand that he was talking about "ar one" (ie, R1). I found that completely ridiculous - what's the point of hiring an instructor who is of no use to the students because 1. they cannot understand him, and 2. he cannot understand them or their questions? If I am attending a college in the United States I think I have the right to expect to be taught in this country's language. If I wanted to learn physics in Chinese I'd go to China.

I'm sorry if I insulted anyone, but I just had to comment on that - it's one of my pet peeves.

paolorossifan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
Status
Tzips said:
Having sttudents who don't speak perfect, or even passable, English is one thing; having professors like that is quite another. Ok, sure, if the prof can communicate very well, only occaisionally messes up things like articles, and is a great prof, than I can understand why he/she was hired. But how about those who cannot form a complete sentence to save their lives (or jobs), or the ones with accents so bad they're nearly unintelligible? I have a distinct memory of sitting in physics lab, desperately leafing through the manual to try to figure out what this "awa", which my lab instructor had been mentioning all class, could possibly be. It took my until the end of lab to understand that he was talking about "ar one" (ie, R1). I found that completely ridiculous - what's the point of hiring an instructor who is of no use to the students because 1. they cannot understand him, and 2. he cannot understand them or their questions? If I am attending a college in the United States I think I have the right to expect to be taught in this country's language. If I wanted to learn physics in Chinese I'd go to China.

I'm sorry if I insulted anyone, but I just had to comment on that - it's one of my pet peeves.
Well said.

dWiz

...ndn...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
Status
paolorossifan said:
I just have no respect for people like you. No one's perfect, look at your own english; sentence structure, grammer, doesn't make much sense either. Infact, i'd say the guy your criticizing had a more readable post than yours. They should kick you out of Columbia because I'm sure there are some people just like you who are pretty annoyed of the jargon coming out of your mouth

paolorossifan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
Status
dWiz said:
I just have no respect for people like you. No one's perfect, look at your own english; sentence structure, grammer, doesn't make much sense either. Infact, i'd say the guy your criticizing had a more readable post than yours. They should kick you out of Columbia because I'm sure there are some people just like you who are pretty annoyed of the jargon coming out of your mouth
The post was edited and I admited my mistakes. You, on the other hand, are one of no stature. I beleive you to be a bitter individual. Your DAT scores,the fact that you frequent the pre-allo forum, and that you mentioned Columbia in your response demonstrates your true intent. Are happy taking a pathetic shot at my opinions? All you had to do was mention your "background" and we all knew you'd be the first one upset over any complaint one had of those that slur the english language. I'm sure you hear such english all day, or slur it yourself.

oralskills

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
NY
Status
paolorossifan said:
The post was edited and I admited my mistakes. You, on the other hand, are one of no stature. I beleive you to be a bitter individual. Your DAT scores,the fact that you frequent the pre-allo forum, and that you mentioned Columbia in your response demonstrates your true intent. Are happy taking a pathetic shot at my opinions? All you had to do was mention your "background" and we all knew you'd be the first one upset over any complaint one had of those that slur the english language. I'm sure you hear such english all day, or slur it yourself.
I think its time for you to quit bashing others and work on your english.

oralskills

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
NY
Status
Tzips said:

What is the criteria for judging someone's english? If they come from Asia, Africa, or South America and speak with an accent, then it isn't ok? If they come Europe and speak with an accent, then it is ok? Is this about having an accent or something deeper? I never seem to hear anyone criticizing the Terminator's (ARNOLD) accent. How long has that Austrian dude been here? If I wanted to watch a movie in Austrian, I would go to Austria!!! Somehow, it just doesn't sound right does it? It doesn't sound right because he's white and is ENTITLED to live in America, right?

paolorossifan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
Status
Oralskills = Mustt Mustt. This guy created 2 profiles to defend himself. Enough said.

OP
Mustt Mustt

Mustt Mustt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Great Lakes State
Status
paolorossifan said:
Oralskills = Mustt Mustt. This guy created 2 profiles to defend himself. Enough said.
I have never seen a man who has no character what so ever. I stopped posting on this thread because I got my questions answered. Also I don't like to argue with the stupid people. You have no right so what so ever to attck on me personally. I didn't attack you personally in any way. Watch your mouth becasue this big fat mouth you have will hurt you one day. I can tell from your comment that you are white and white people like you are making America's bad image in the world.

UofT-Girl

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Status
I just had a quick question about AADSAS..

When filling out the on-line application, does it matter whether we write in sentences or point-form? Is there a preference dental schools have??

dWiz

...ndn...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
Status
paolorossifan said:
Ok, honestly, I have no idea what u just said. Your english in incomprehensible. I'm surprised you got into columbia; I thought they would have higher standards, but guess not. You said something about DAT scores? I haven't even taken it yet buddy. My critique of your english : "All you had to do was mention your "background" and we all knew you'd be the first one upset over any complaint one had of those that slur the english language. " It's kind of hypocritical for you to say someone's english is bad and then type that nonsense...You're just the type of person I hope i don't ever encounter in D-school

dWiz

...ndn...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
Status
It's actually kind of sad to know that some dental schools have some real narrow minded racist bufoons like paolorossifan.

paolorossifan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
Status
dWiz said:
Ok, honestly, I have no idea what u just said. Your english in incomprehensible. I'm surprised you got into columbia; I thought they would have higher standards, but guess not. You said something about DAT scores? I haven't even taken it yet buddy. My critique of your english : "All you had to do was mention your "background" and we all knew you'd be the first one upset over any complaint one had of those that slur the english language. " It's kind of hypocritical for you to say someone's english is bad and then type that nonsense...You're just the type of person I hope i don't ever encounter in D-school
Dat Scores

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do these dat scores look:
AA:18
QR: 19
RC:20
PAT:16
OChem:17
GChem:25
Bio:16
TS:19

dWiz

...ndn...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
Status
paolorossifan said:
Dat Scores

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do these dat scores look:
AA:18
QR: 19
RC:20
PAT:16
OChem:17
GChem:25
Bio:16
TS:19

Another example of your ignorance; those scores were my classmates', whose applying with me for the 2006 cycle. But I guess you have trouble reading english too; because if you look closely at the thread where u got this i think i didn't say they were my scores. I don't want to argue with you; your a waste of time, your a disgrace. Surprised you have so much free time in dental school, to post on pre-dent forums criticizing other people's english. Maybe your just a bum pretending to be a dental student

paolorossifan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
Status
dWiz said:
Another example of your ignorance; those scores were my classmates', whose applying with me for the 2006 cycle. But I guess you have trouble reading english too; because if you look closely at the thread where u got this i think i didn't say they were my scores. I don't want to argue with you; your a waste of time, your a disgrace. Surprised you have so much free time in dental school, to post on pre-dent forums criticizing other people's english. Maybe your just a bum pretending to be a dental student
Sure, those are your "friend's" DAT's. Class of 2009 means I'm still a pre-dent until August.

SadSmile

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Status
No offense, paolo, but I hope you didn't take Kaplan. I did a lot better than you did with 2 weeks of studying without Kaplan review. Did you honestly think that people will be impressed by your DAT score when you posted it?

No wonder why you've been talking so much about Columbia.

paolorossifan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
Status
SadSmile said:
No offense, paolo, but I hope you didn't take Kaplan. I did a lot better than you did with 2 weeks of studying without Kaplan review. Did you honestly think that people will be impressed by your DAT score when you posted it?

No wonder why you've been talking so much about Columbia.
No I have never taken Kaplan. If believe the above scores are mine you are mistaken. They are some guy's "friends" DATS. I would never have gotten into Columbia, or any other school, with those scores.

dWiz

...ndn...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
Status
So these stats make you so much better than everybody? :

3.30 OV 3.53 BCP
22/21/18 AA/TS/PA

Firstly, my GPA is higher than yours ( 3.3???? :) and you have the nerve to criticize the guy who got a 4.0). And when I take the dats i'll let u know what i get. 22, 21 ? doesnot impress me much...nothing a few weeks of studying can't accomplish. Stop putting other people down, your not impressing anyone, plently of people on SDN with waaaay better stats than yours. Take an ego-pill

paolorossifan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
Status
dWiz said:
So these stats make you so much better than everybody? :

3.30 OV 3.53 BCP
22/21/18 AA/TS/PA

Firstly, my GPA is higher than yours ( 3.3???? :) and you have the nerve to criticize the guy who got a 4.0). And when I take the dats i'll let u know what i get. 22, 21 ? doesnot impress me much...nothing a few weeks of studying can't accomplish. Stop putting other people down, your not impressing anyone, plently of people on SDN with waaaay better stats than yours. Take an ego-pill
When you get:
1. Into a dental school
2. Get a 22 on the DAT

Then come step to me. Your just a pretender right now.

oralskills

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
NY
Status
paolorossifan said:
When you get:
1. Into a dental school
2. Get a 22 on the DAT

Then come step to me. Your just a pretender right now.
You should shut up and take my advice about taking an ESL class.

Your = belonging to you
You're = You are :D

How many posts have you made in this particular thread? How many mistakes have you made?

paolorossifan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
Status
oralskills said:
You should shut up and take my advice about taking an ESL class.

Your = belonging to you
You're = You are :D

How many posts have you made in this particular thread? How many mistakes have you made?
Mustt Mustt = oralskills

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
This is a warning to all those who have participated in the petty arguments in this thread. Future violations of the SDN TOS will result in probation, a post-hold, or permanent banning. No further warnings will be issued.

And for the record, "Mustt Mustt" and "oralskills" are not the same individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.