AADSAS Shadowing-Can I put the same for 4 Gen Dentists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corinne57

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For my shadowing experience, 4 of the dentists I've shadowed were general dentists. Is it ok for me to put the same thing in the description for all 4 since I saw basically all the same procedures at all of them? The only thing different would be how they conducted their practices, but there's not really any room to describe that.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. They know space is limited. Some peers may get worked up over this sort of thing, but it's not a big deal.
But before you can do anything, you need to change your status from pre-health to a definite pre-dental.

Most of my shadowing was with general dentists, too. I tried to make each description unique to each experience, though there was definitely some overlap. I would try to change up your descriptions a bit, just to avoid looking lazy. Focus on little differences if that's all there was. For one description I put something like "Observed restorative procedures and crown preparation and fittings. Dentist effectively used intraoral cameras throughout procedures to educate patients. "

Members don't see this ad :)
I also wanted to show that I saw a variety of things (although the same things) at the general dentists, and not focus on one minor thing that they may have done differently. Or is it more important to show the differences?

It's a tough call which ultimately I don't think will matter much, but my opinion is that it looks lazy to have four totally identical descriptions. So it may not be necessary to go into minutia like I did, but I would try to switch it up at least a little. But your guess is as good as mine when it comes to how adcoms will perceive nuance. I would definitely spend some good time on the PS, though. I think that holds more weight than the 175-character blurbs. Good luck!

I know many of us (myself included) have the tendency to worry about little things like this too much - but in this case it really should be a non-issue. With only a sentence or two to describe your shadowing experiences on AADSAS, I'm fairly certain that schools won't care too much if there is overlap between different shadowing experiences. Hopefully some of the secondaries you fill out will allow you to elaborate on them. Best of luck !

You're fine! A very simple description of what you saw/did will be just fine.