AAIMG Dead but.......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whuds

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is outragous!

This person heading up AAMIG! No credentials!

No real proof the schools were ever visited!
No proof at all really just posting on the internet from Russia in the Past.
No membership!

Oh and no school in the Carribean has internet classes! Thats completely untrue! :mad:

ttp://chronicle.com/weekly/v52/i10/10a06001.htm

From the issue dated October 28, 2005

The Egg Man and Other Anti-Fraud Activists
An eclectic group of self-appointed watchdogs keeps an eye on overseas
medical schools

By xxxxx

Dean Hughson spent his career as a salesman and consultant to egg
companies. But researching medical schools for his son in 2003 set him
on a new career track.

Mr. Hughson was startled by the number of apparently low-quality
overseas medical schools that were marketing themselves to students.
He was even more shocked that some states "have no laws to protect
consumers from some of the 'two cadavers and a professor over a pizza
parlor'-type medical school," he wrote in an e-mail message.

So he developed a (Web site) devoted to exposing what he considers
fraudulent medical schools around the world. And he is writing a book
on the subject.

Thousands of Americans who plan to practice medicine in the United
States are studying overseas in institutions that lack government
oversight, even, in most cases, by the nations in which they are
located. Mr. Hughson's dismaying discovery added him to the tiny group
of individuals trying to monitor those institutions.

He has visited schools in the Caribbean, Britain, and Mexico, often
posing as a parent seeking to enroll his child. He has learned of
schools that don't exist, or whose main requirement for admission is a
bank check, he reports. For his criticism, he says, he has received
threatening phone calls from students.

Meanwhile, xxxxxxx, an assistant clinical professor of medicine
at Boston University and a practicing doctor, has denounced cases of
medical fraud for 15 years. Although he does not attempt to monitor
overseas medical schools, he is an outspoken critic of shoddy medical
practices through his organization, the National Council Against
Health Fraud.

He is particularly critical of teaching over the Internet, which some
Caribbean medical schools rely on heavily. The practice, he says,
produces doctors unable to deal with real-life problems.

"I think that if the public" in the United States "knew that you had a
free-for-all going on in the Caribbean," says Dr. Bxxxxx, " ...
there'd be outrage."

'Terrorist Organization'

The American Association of International Medical Graduates may have
been the most ambitious of all such watchdog efforts. From 2000 until
this summer, the association was run by a doctor named Thomas Moore,
who died in August. Mr. Hughson then took over the group's Web site.
While the association does not have many members, he says, it did
arrange for evaluators to visit Caribbean medical schools. Their
reports, often harshly critical, were posted on the Web site.

In its final set of evaluations, made before the site went offline in
September, the association failed half of the 24 schools it evaluated.
One school with a failing grade, the University of Health Sciences
Antigua, responded by describing the association as a "terrorist
organization" on the school's Web site.

Representatives of several state medical boards speak highly of Mr.
Hughson and say he is a good resource.

"He's a tireless researcher," says xxxxxxxx, executive director
of the Texas Medical Board. "He's filling a void."

While he is content to keep doing this work, Mr. Hughson urges U.S.
government agencies to send their own inspectors to evaluate the
overseas institutions.

"You shouldn't have to have an egg man helping lead the battle to
clean up shaky offshore medical schools," he says.

I think we need to beware! :thumbdown:

The AAIMG was a self serving supposed org. and now it seems some one else want to be self serving also :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

whuds said:
This is outragous!

No membership!

Oh and no school in the Carribean has internet classes! Thats completely untrue! :mad:

The AAIMG was a self serving supposed org. and now it seems some one else want to be self serving also :mad:

Whuds,

Re: Carib "schools" with internet classes; I recommend that you check out Dean's site. Alternatively, you can take a look at this or this.

BTW, I find it a little bit strange that you've got to come over here and take a swipe at him when you are both mods at VM. What gives?

Miklos

Miklos said:
Whuds,

Re: Carib "schools" with internet classes; I recommend that you check out Dean's site. Alternatively, you can take a look at this or this.

BTW, I find it a little bit strange that you've got to come over here and take a swipe at him when you are both mods at VM. What gives?

Miklos
Yeah, I'm a bit confused also. No credentials? You saw what I posted. I am putting together an advisory board of IMGs, med profs, credential evaluators to advise the formation of a new project,utilizing the domain of aaimg but a different way. Suppose you could try being a bit more direct. I am surprised at this attack but its ok. I have big shoulders and this is a big project.

Members don't see this ad :)
Exciting.

So if Thomas Moore died, what happened to the 'russians' ?

The saga continues.

f_w said:
Exciting.

So if Thomas Moore died, what happened to the 'russians' ?

The saga continues.
I have it on my own server...they ran the server for Dr. Moore, who was apparently elderly. DOn't need any help myself as I write html. intrigue indeed.

azskeptic said:
Yeah, I'm a bit confused also. No credentials? You saw what I posted. I am putting together an advisory board of IMGs, med profs, credential evaluators to advise the formation of a new project,utilizing the domain of aaimg but a different way. Suppose you could try being a bit more direct. I am surprised at this attack but its ok. I have big shoulders and this is a big project.
Okay I posted it here since I do not want conflict of interest, Since he is a Mod at VMD and so am I.

Also where is the funding coming from? How is this being run and sponsored?
If there were no members then how can we believe anything from this org, not that I believed it before.

Do I not have the right to post anything affecting IMGs AZ and others? Is that not what you do? The difference is I do have a strong opinion about AAIMG, and I will post it.

I do not believe you have proper credentials to evaluate Medical schools and question the ability to have such proper people to do it since it would cost considerable money between the cost of the experts and the travel.
This is my opinion of course.

Good luck to every one.

whuds, whuds, whuds. you are disbelieving the wrong people. the schools you attend have a vested interest in convincing you that everything will be ok. people like Az have no such interest, and provide you with food for thought.

you have unfortunately put your faith in 2 schools which are far from established as reputable. the fact is that you are taking a lot on faith, that a lot of new schools have problems, and that potential students will be well served by a source of information that alerts them to pitfalls that the schools willl not likely disclose.

there are some schools out there (ie the big three, and other more established schools) that are hurt by shady new schools. and, no, they are not hurt in the wallet. they still fill thier seats just fine, don't they? i don't see a lot of the more qualified students flocking away from the SGU's to the st james. they are hurt by the poor quality and public relations nightmares that come from these schools. what happens when CNN runs a story about a st elsewhere med school in the carib, letting anybody in to study online, and these "doctors" wind up failing out and defaulting on loans or worse, killing somebody in residency? well, the good carib schools suffer as much (if not more!) than the dodgy ones. so, i don't see a huge interest in shutting down other "good" schools to protect the wallet. i see an interest in preventing a rotten apple from spoiling the barrell. if there was a consortium of schools evaluating other carib schools, they would have to have a list of standards to be met by ALL schools. if a school met these standards, and was not admitted, then you could complain about fairness. but, if a school simply does not match up to the better schools out there, tough beans. meet the standards, or suffer the consequences. i would whole heartedly support a consortium of established schools, with input from the FSMB and any other authority to establish a standard set of guidelines for carib schools to meet.

i know that you are hoping for the best with your choices in schools, and i do hope it all works out for you. but, i would say that you should take a look at your schools with the same critical eye that you look at Az.

whuds said:
Okay I posted it here since I do not want conflict of interest, Since he is a Mod at VMD and so am I.

Also where is the funding coming from? How is this being run and sponsored?
If there were no members then how can we believe anything from this org, not that I believed it before. AT THIS POINT IT IS ALL VOLUNTEERS. Again, AAIMG is no longer in existence. Dr. Moore died. I was given his domain and am assembling my own team of advisors.

Do I not have the right to post anything affecting IMGs AZ and others? Is that not what you do? The difference is I do have a strong opinion about AAIMG, and I will post it. OK TO POST YOUR OPINIONS

I do not believe you have proper credentials to evaluate Medical schools and question the ability to have such proper people to do it since it would cost considerable money between the cost of the experts and the travel.
This is my opinion of course. I DO NOT EVALUTE MEDICAL SCHOOLS. THAT IS DONE BY EXPERTS IN THE FIELD. DON'T HAVE SO LITTLE BELIEF THAT THINGS CAN BE DONE. ALL IS POSSIBLE AND WILL HAPPEN. YOU'LL SEE MORE SHORTLY.

Good luck to every one.
LUCK and hard work will fix the problems with as they say in England 'dodgy' medical schools. I am assembling a top notch crew that will help do a good job. It should be interesting. Stay tuned.

neilc said:
whuds, whuds, whuds. you are disbelieving the wrong people. the schools you attend have a vested interest in convincing you that everything will be ok. people like Az have no such interest, and provide you with food for thought.

you have unfortunately put your faith in 2 schools which are far from established as reputable. the fact is that you are taking a lot on faith, that a lot of new schools have problems, and that potential students will be well served by a source of information that alerts them to pitfalls that the schools willl not likely disclose.

there are some schools out there (ie the big three, and other more established schools) that are hurt by shady new schools. and, no, they are not hurt in the wallet. they still fill thier seats just fine, don't they? i don't see a lot of the more qualified students flocking away from the SGU's to the st james. they are hurt by the poor quality and public relations nightmares that come from these schools. what happens when CNN runs a story about a st elsewhere med school in the carib, letting anybody in to study online, and these "doctors" wind up failing out and defaulting on loans or worse, killing somebody in residency? well, the good carib schools suffer as much (if not more!) than the dodgy ones. so, i don't see a huge interest in shutting down other "good" schools to protect the wallet. i see an interest in preventing a rotten apple from spoiling the barrell. if there was a consortium of schools evaluating other carib schools, they would have to have a list of standards to be met by ALL schools. if a school met these standards, and was not admitted, then you could complain about fairness. but, if a school simply does not match up to the better schools out there, tough beans. meet the standards, or suffer the consequences. i would whole heartedly support a consortium of established schools, with input from the FSMB and any other authority to establish a standard set of guidelines for carib schools to meet.

i know that you are hoping for the best with your choices in schools, and i do hope it all works out for you. but, i would say that you should take a look at your schools with the same critical eye that you look at Az.

Look, Don't drag the schools I go to into this (they did not and do not offer internet med school classes) but to even post stuff about the one internet med school and make out thats the danger, well is silly. No State in the US would lic a med student who took the classes via the net. As for new schools yes I'm transferring from one that is not in the country of charter to one that is. Other than the buildings are probaly better at my old school it seems to be the same there abouts. There are other schools I could go to but there is a loan problem with them. So I'm kinda stuck. Any way I question AZ's motives and have a right to my opinion. I just want to get through med school but want to post what I see and know about the schools I go to. I think there is another side to these posts and that it is all to easy to automatically trash a school as doe's happen here on SDN.

I would hope we would like the schools to get better

my motive is this. get the information out on the table so that students, state medical boards, and residency managers and govt. agencies know what is being presented when they talk about a school.

I don't work for the schools, am self funded, and independent. That you trust me, WHUDS, or not doesn't matter to me. I am glad to see you are skeptical about some things; just suggest you get skeptical about schools also.

well, consider this, whuds. the motive of all schools, especially the new ones is to get students to pay for tuition and enroll. there is a large incentive to BS you there. as for Az, i don't see a motive other than just enjoying being a pain in the ass and busting dodgy schools.

i would love all schools to get better and offer solid education and a straight path to residency and licensure in the states. but, the fact is that some are much better than others. and, new schools should not be given any extra slack because they are new. if you want to be a guinea pig in a new school, great. but, don't expect others to adopt the position of assuming everything will work out ok. in some cases, everything will likely be fine. in others, they may just go belly up.

i respect the fact that you have your reasons for choosing the schools you have attended or will be attending. you have come to terms with the limitations and potential problems, and accept them. but, that does not mean that it is not ok to now address them. it does not take away the importance of good information being out there. and, if new standards are adopted, or a new committee forms and gives your school a bad evaluation, that would suck for you. but, i hope you can also see how that does not mean that people are neccesarily out to get your school. standards are good, and will help all of us out. and, if your school is a good as you seem to think it will be, then you will have nothing to worry about.

Azskeptic,
There are many other schools in the world that are worse than many carib schools.
Instead of researching in secrecy, and then posting your findings, you post your critics (with names) on public websites without being 100% sure you are right.
Ex: Atlanta medical center, Spartan, iUHS,St Luke......
It is more than good to be concerned about the level of offshore schools, but your methods need to be more fair.

Your ideas are very good though, and should include investigation of ALL foreign schools to be fair. You'd be surprised about what you can find.

mucha said:
Azskeptic,
There are many other schools in the world that are worse than many carib schools.
Instead of researching in secrecy, and then posting your findings, you post your critics (with names) on public websites without being 100% sure you are right.
It is more than good to be concerned about the level of offshore schools, but your methods need to be more fair.

Your ideas are very good though, and should include investigation of ALL foreign schools to be fair. You'd be surprised about what you can find.
right now I am concentrating on schools that are catering to US medical students predominantly but when I have time I'll look at other types of schools. Note what is interesting: the articles I post are what show up...other types of schools aren't publicized as much in the press with the search programs I've written to find them. I don't not post them...if I see anything on foreign medical schools I post it.

There is a show coming up in next 8 days that will be of interest to all. I will post details when it is up on a website showing where you can find the article.

azskeptic p.s. why doesn't someone take the role of Luton Optimist or Spartan Optimist and find all of the positive news articles and balance the negative articles I find?

Members don't see this ad :)
mucha said:
Azskeptic,

The govt. actions on St. Luke should give you solid proof I was right in questioning that school. Same with Kigezi. Others to follow. I don't make the news..only report it.

After following with great interest the many postings of azskeptic, both on this forum, as well as many others; I then went his numerous home made websites where he researches family history, offers travel advice and another with counseling of divorced fathers. I am curious. I could not find a website that lists his credentials. Specially, his mission against offshore schools aside, what qualifications does this man have to speak about any of these subjects? Prior to making further comment, I would appreciate a link or listing of such. Thank you.

Kahkeetsee said:
After following with great interest the many postings of azskeptic, both on this forum, as well as many others; I then went his numerous home made websites where he researches family history, offers travel advice and another with counseling of divorced fathers. I am curious. I could not find a website that lists his credentials. Specially, his mission against offshore schools aside, what qualifications does this man have to speak about any of these subjects? Prior to making further comment, I would appreciate a link or listing of such. Thank you.
University graduate, ran some major companies, attended graduate school. How about you? tell us about your achievements?

Interest in offshore medical schools is part of my work on healthfraud and quackery which I've been involved with for 10 years and sparked by someone asking me to do some research on medical school for them.

Who has the hidden agenda here? Hmmm Skeptic you state that you just took on the website. YOu were involved with AAIMG from the very beginning. A current investigation will review all fraudlent behavior. These trips that you take to medical schools, who pays for them? The school? You? I highly doubt that. You know if a school does not pay your way do they get seen in a negative light? You know that is called extortion? You findings are fraudulent, how many school curriculums have you evaluated or even seen? Oh that's right you can't do that since you only evaluate eggs. By the way the truth will set you free. Or shall we just leave it to the authorities.

unbelievable said:
Who has the hidden agenda here? Hmmm Skeptic you state that you just took on the website. YOu were involved with AAIMG from the very beginning. A current investigation will review all fraudlent behavior. These trips that you take to medical schools, who pays for them? The school? You? I highly doubt that. You know if a school does not pay your way do they get seen in a negative light? You know that is called extortion? You findings are fraudulent, how many school curriculums have you evaluated or even seen? Oh that's right you can't do that since you only evaluate eggs. By the way the truth will set you free. Or shall we just leave it to the authorities.
No school pays for me. I travel worldwide. I have no findings on behalf of AAIMG....AAIMG is a corporation that apparently died with the owner. I was given the website and am preparing a new group to do a similiar mission. Bring your authorities on. They are the ones who can change the systems in their countries like is happening in several countries already.

azskeptic said:
No school pays for me. I travel worldwide. I have no findings on behalf of AAIMG....AAIMG is a corporation that apparently died with the owner. I was given the website and am preparing a new group to do a similiar mission. Bring your authorities on. They are the ones who can change the systems in their countries like is happening in several countries already.

Oh don't you worry, extortion is a serious offense!!!Even when it is outside the US, when it impacts US citizens many people get offended!!!

unbelievable said:
Oh don't you worry, extortion is a serious offense!!!Even when it is outside the US, when it impacts US citizens many people get offended!!!
You have better look up the term. That denotes someone asking money illegally. Quite a claim from you since I ask no money,am self funded, and a volunteer. As you see the authorities are looking into illegal behavior but it isn't mine that is mentione din the govt. press releases---I am not one of the schools mentioned.

Ok..whatever you say..time is going to tell!!!!

whuds said:
This is outragous!

No membership!

aren't you the dude transferring from the mess in Luton to attend Xavier of all places?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dude you have enough problems without worrying about this eggman and his website. I mean really!

Doc-Hollywood said:
aren't you the dude transferring from the mess in Luton to attend Xavier of all places?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dude you have enough problems without worrying about this eggman and his website. I mean really!
Nope not transferring to Xavier you got it wrong :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A much better Carib School! ;)