• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

AAIMG gone Bye Bye!

CVPA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2000
Florida
    Hey imagine that, the AAIMG's website is NO LONGER there (www.aaimg.com). What a surprise!!!

I can't stand this kind of BS. Just goes to show you, Caribbean medical education is a BUSINESS with unscrupulous people trying to knock out the competition. Not that I am implying that you can't get a good education there, its just too bad that these kind of people are associated with these schools.

CVPA

10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Oct 8, 2000
    Florida
      It was the American Association of International Medical Graduates. This was a bogus organization that sold itself as an independant organization that evaluated Caribbean medical schools. As it turns out, there is no one at their listed address in Nevada and they were probably formed by one of the Caribbean medical schools to promote themselves while dogging the competition. Nice, huh?

About the Ads

stephew

SDN Super Moderator
      Moderator Emeritus
      15+ Year Member
      Jun 7, 2001
      Boston
      travel.to
        Remember, US schools are not quite so totally philantrhopic themselves.

The schools are a business but the issue is do they care about education as well. Some do. Its a dastardly thing when the unscrupulous give the rest a bad name but what can you do but be honest?
        All the best

[This message has been edited by stephew (edited 11-07-2000).]

[This message has been edited by stephew (edited 11-07-2000).]

turtleboard

SDN Advisor
        10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Jun 4, 1999
        New York, New York
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          I would like to remind my distinguished colleague and senior from SUNY Upstate Medical University that all US medical schools, both MD and DO, are not-for-profit entities while all Island medical schools are businesses that make their Board of Directors and investors a lot of money (more so in recent years).

If you are talking about the hospitals connected to many US medical schools, that's sort of another story.
          smile.gif
          But if US medical school hospitals were supposed to be businesses, the great majority of them are failures, most prominently in my mind right now is SUNY Stony Brook Health Sciences Center (according to a recent New York Times article). Ha Ha.
          smile.gif

Tim of New York City, home of many, many failing hospitals.

[This message has been edited by turtleboard (edited 11-09-2000).]

stephew

SDN Super Moderator
          Moderator Emeritus
          15+ Year Member
          Jun 7, 2001
          Boston
          travel.to
            Hello old friend!

Yes yes, State schools are non profit but other little places like, say, harvard, are indeed making $$$. COmmon on, lG-town is more expensive than SGU (or was a couple years ago- I dont regularly check). Now of course there is academic integrity. And some off shore schools give a damn too. That's my only point.

And I must say, perhaps sgu should open a business school as they are most certainly NOT a failed business! But the bottom line is they give a good "product" (ugly term).

I miss SUNY Upstate by the way; miss the skiing. Ah well, reidency must go on. ...and on, and on...

[This message has been edited by stephew (edited 11-10-2000).]

panacea

10+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Mar 11, 2001
            Toronto
              stwei said:
              Besides, they had some comments on european universities as well
              The AMSA (American Medical Student Association) discusses the AAIMG (American Association of IMGs) on this page:
              http://www.amsa.org/intl/ecfmg.cfm

"The AAIMG's list of schools is not complete, but it might be an excellent foundation from which to build on, and hopefully it can be expanded with funding from ECFMG. For more information, you can visit the AAIMG's website at www.aaimg.com"

The above is a quote from that page. I have serious reservations about the site.

Info on aaimg.com -- they are run out of Russia.
              ==============
              Domain Name: AAIMG.COM
              Registrar: GO DADDY SOFTWARE, INC.
              Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
              Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
              Name Server: NS0.XNAME.ORG
              Name Server: NS5.SPB.RU
              Updated Date: 19-nov-2003
              Creation Date: 02-nov-1999
              Expiration Date: 02-nov-2006

{snip}
              Registrant:
              AAIMG
              1802 N. Carson Street
              Carson City, Nevada 89701
              United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com
              Created on: 02-Nov-99
              Expires on: 02-Nov-06
              Last Updated on: 19-Nov-03

Administrative Contact:
              Demkin, Andrew [email protected]
              60, Moika emb. apt.33
              Saint-Petersburg, 90000
              RUS
              +7 812 3147397 Fax -- +7 812 3147397
              Technical Contact:
              60, Moika emb. apt.33
              Saint-Petersburg, 90000
              RUS

Domain servers in listed order:
              NS5.SPB.RU
              NS0.XNAME.ORG
              ==============
              This info can be obtained with a web browser from this site:
              http://www.networksolutions.com/en_US/whois/index.jhtml

The address "1802 North Carson Street, Carson City, NV 89701" does actually exist... it has a computer store (Geek's of Nevada). Their yellowpages listing is here:
              http://yellowpages.superpages.com/l...ity&S=NV&search.x=0&search.y=0&search=Find+It
              The store's web page is here:
              http://www.nevadageek.net/

According to the whois AAIMG is based in NV. The Nevada Board of Medical Examiners does NOT have a "Thomas Moore" (the president of AAIMG) on record -- http://medboard.nv.gov/

AAIMG contact email addresses are hotmail accounts -- seems somewhat dubious.

Claims to be a "non-profit organization" ... yet has the domain ".com"
              http://www.aaimg.com/misst.html

I have the impression the AAIMG is a dubious web site that has a hidden agenda and isn't worthy of a positive review on the AMSA site. Personally, if I were an AMSA member I'd want the reference removed from the AMSA web site.

prefontaine

Nov 28, 1998
              Northern Liberties
              1. Attending Physician
                What information on the AAIMG site is inaccurate?

panacea said:
                The AMSA (American Medical Student Association) discusses the AAIMG (American Association of IMGs) on this page:
                http://www.amsa.org/intl/ecfmg.cfm

"The AAIMG's list of schools is not complete, but it might be an excellent foundation from which to build on, and hopefully it can be expanded with funding from ECFMG. For more information, you can visit the AAIMG's website at www.aaimg.com"

The above is a quote from that page. I have serious reservations about the site.

Info on aaimg.com -- they are run out of Russia.
                ==============
                Registrar: GO DADDY SOFTWARE, INC.
                Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
                Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
                Name Server: NS0.XNAME.ORG
                Name Server: NS5.SPB.RU
                Updated Date: 19-nov-2003
                Creation Date: 02-nov-1999
                Expiration Date: 02-nov-2006

{snip}
                Registrant:
                AAIMG
                1802 N. Carson Street
                Carson City, Nevada 89701
                United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com
                Created on: 02-Nov-99
                Expires on: 02-Nov-06
                Last Updated on: 19-Nov-03

Administrative Contact:
                60, Moika emb. apt.33
                Saint-Petersburg, 90000
                RUS
                Technical Contact:
                60, Moika emb. apt.33
                Saint-Petersburg, 90000
                RUS

Domain servers in listed order:
                NS5.SPB.RU
                NS0.XNAME.ORG
                ==============
                This info can be obtained with a web browser from this site:
                http://www.networksolutions.com/en_US/whois/index.jhtml

The address "1802 North Carson Street, Carson City, NV 89701" does actually exist... it has a computer store (Geek's of Nevada). Their yellowpages listing is here:
                http://yellowpages.superpages.com/l...ity&S=NV&search.x=0&search.y=0&search=Find+It
                The store's web page is here:
                http://www.nevadageek.net/

According to the whois AAIMG is based in NV. The Nevada Board of Medical Examiners does NOT have a "Thomas Moore" (the president of AAIMG) on record -- http://medboard.nv.gov/

AAIMG contact email addresses are hotmail accounts -- seems somewhat dubious.

Claims to be a "non-profit organization" ... yet has the domain ".com"
                http://www.aaimg.com/misst.html

I have the impression the AAIMG is a dubious web site that has a hidden agenda and isn't worthy of a positive review on the AMSA site. Personally, if I were an AMSA member I'd want the reference removed from the AMSA web site.

xanthines

decaying organic matter
                Moderator Emeritus
                10+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                Feb 23, 2002
                slashdot.org
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  Harvard's tuition rate definitely doesn't cover the cost of operating a medical school. As far as I know, no medical school's tuition even comes close. Most, if not all, American medical schools "lose" money. A lot of med schools, even private ones, receive some government money, FYI. The only way a medical school can really make money is: 1. to be smart about its investments, 2. to be shrewd when nenegotiating with hospitals, 3. and to loot/plunder/pillage the research money from its professors.

-X

stephew said:
                  Yes yes, State schools are non profit but other little places like, say, harvard, are indeed making $$$.

Skip Intro

15+ Year Member
                  Apr 30, 2002
                  1. Attending Physician
                    xanthines said:
                    The only way a medical school can really make money is: 1. to be smart about its investments, 2. to be shrewd when nenegotiating with hospitals, 3. and to loot/plunder/pillage the research money from its professors.

You forgot the biggest one...

4. Private Endowment$

-$kip

panacea

10+ Year Member
                    15+ Year Member
                    Mar 11, 2001
                    Toronto
                      prefontaine said:
                      What information on the AAIMG site is inaccurate?
                      I think the question ought to be: what information on the AAIMG site is accurate?
                      In other words, how do you know that the information that is presented is accurate, if the AAIMG doesn't even exist at the address on their web site?

Jun 15, 2004
                      1. Attending Physician
                        AAIMG may be bogus, but I think their info is legit, though perhaps a little dated.

Everything posted there jives with what students and alumni of various schools have confirmed to me via telephone, e-mail, in person, and through written correspondence.

I have a suspicion about which school in particular is behind the site, but the information posted on the site checks out if you do your research.

snaklee

10+ Year Member
                        5+ Year Member
                        Jan 6, 2005
                          Fact 1:

Only real Americans in real american medical schools can be certified as FIT for medical practice.

No other country in the world has doctors or physicians.

America is special in this regard.

Fact 2:

If traveling overseas, be equiped with the latest American medical student (don't leave home without IT) because medicine is not practiced anywhere except America.

Fact 3: American medical schools have always been and shall always be for ever and for ever into eternity.
                          ie the first day of history eternal the American medical school was founded with all of its splendor and greatness.
                          then came man.
                          The American medical school needed company so man was created for the school.

etc, etc, etc

Skip Intro

15+ Year Member
                          Apr 30, 2002
                          1. Attending Physician
                            snaklee said:
                            Fact 1:

Only real Americans in real american medical schools can be certified as FIT for medical practice.

No other country in the world has doctors or physicians.

America is special in this regard.

Fact 2:

If traveling overseas, be equiped with the latest American medical student (don't leave home without IT) because medicine is not practiced anywhere except America.

Fact 3: American medical schools have always been and shall always be for ever and for ever into eternity.
                            ie the first day of history eternal the American medical school was founded with all of its splendor and greatness.
                            then came man.
                            The American medical school needed company so man was created for the school.

etc, etc, etc

:laugh: GREAT trolling!!

Do you know who Albert Schweitzer is? Just curious.

-Skip

About the Ads
                            This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            7. This thread is locked.