1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

aamc 10 verbal accuracy?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by ankit1ag, May 4, 2007.

1. ankit1ag

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I don't believe aamc verbal 10. For some reason, my score was 3-4 pts. lower than all my other verbal scores. Did anyone else have a similar experience, or did I just get really bad at verbal!!!

RiPSTONE likes this.
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ICanDoThis

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, I was really bummed with my VR score as well. I usually get a 11-12 on it, and I got a 9 today. I thought some of the "correct" answers didn't make a lot of sense (esp. the one about the crator and the author mentions "sinkholes")

4. max_poWER

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i agree, i hope the real thing isn't at all like this one.....i thought most of the explanations we're unreasonable/most of them didn't even make sense! it really killed my confidence, i managed a 4!!! its like 3-5 percentile! my lowest score ever! i'm taking the test on may 11 and am now scrambling to practice my butt off for verbal. i thought i was actually improving too since I've scoring 9-11 recently. i'm just aiming for a 9 on the real thing. any last minute suggestions on how to study? crossing my fingers that the mcat gods will be lenient on verbal this friday!

5. ICanDoThis

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    OK so when I reviewed my answers more carefully, I noticed that some of the answers that I picked were TOO specific and not general enough (i.e. they didn't really capture the entire point of the passage). Also, I think what I will do is maybe practice a couple of timed section tests to make sure I'm both reading quickly and accurately.

I'm trying not to let one score mar my confidence, you know? It's probably just one bad practice, and we are gonna be so much more on top of things on game day!

6. zanzounita

zanzounita Int'l Woman of Mystery
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I scored lowest on this one: 26 but refuse letting it bring down my morale

7. badasshairday

badasshairday Vascular and Interventional Radiology
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Dude what the ****? Why are we all doing ****ty on our last practice exam? I didn't do so hot on the verbal either, but it was AAMC 9 instead of 10. Screw it. Lets just take the real one already!

8. meddoc1

2+ Year Member

I had a 6 on AAMC 8... Am I hopless?? Exam in 5 days....

9. myd

myd Guest

Pre-Medical
    verbal on april 12 test day was not like aamc 10. passages were much longer and easier to read. :D

10. ICanDoThis

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Wait, did you say the passages were LONGER?

11. soccerpunk60

soccerpunk60 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

yea the curve was real rough..i def don't think aamc10's verbal is accurate. the sciences were pretty much on par though..

so the passages were longer huh?? i barely finished aamc10's vr section, i'm now gettin real worried i wont finish on may 11

12. myd

myd Guest

Pre-Medical
    i think you will be fine b/c the passages were more interesting on the real thing so even though they were longer it was easier to focus and read. you didn't have to waste so much time going back to passage looking for answer b/c you understood the passage

13. mtlove

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I would agree with posters that said the passages seemed longer. I sat for the January test with screwed up verbal section. The passages seemed a lot longer. Beware!!! Some of the passages consisted of tons of paragraphs each with 2-3 sentances each. There were a fair number of passages that were easier to read than some of the AAMC practice tests. I cant tell you if the score conversion is the same, because I ended up voiding (stupid AAMC screw up).

14. DiverDoc

DiverDoc KCUMB 2012
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The April 12th Verbal questions seemed similar to AAMC 10. The passages themselves were L O N G. There were a couple of brain killers in my opinion. That Euro class/art one. wow.

15. poly800rock

poly800rock Member
    2+ Year Member

even the galaxy one was like whoa.

16. DiverDoc

DiverDoc KCUMB 2012
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I do not remember a galaxy one. Im sure I had it, but cant recall it whatsoever. Was that the one, about rocks entering earths atmosphere?

17. CATallergy

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I thought 4/12 was noticeably longer, but also that the questions were easier.

18. DiverDoc

DiverDoc KCUMB 2012
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think the first couple were "okay" and then there was one that just threw me for a loop, and I felt like I guessed on the whole question set. After that, I had a mental breakdown and started second guessing myself alot.

19. Surf Rx

7+ Year Member

Just took it, and yeah, that answer doesn't make sense to me either.

20. zanzounita

zanzounita Int'l Woman of Mystery
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    ok, i just finished reviewing wrong answers on verbal..and it sucks

especially the christian/jesus question...come on!!!

21. AyCaramba

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I just took it and I don't think it was too bad, but the curve was so harsh. I got 2 questions wrong on the verbal and I got a 13. i mean come on...

for me, it's the bio section that sucked on aamc 10. seems like there was more orgo than normal.

22. mvenus929

Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Fellow [Any Field]
    Well, I was rather happy with my score on AAMC 10, because it went up so much from all the gold standard tests I've been taking. If I get the score I got on AAMC 10 on the real thing on Friday, I will be bouncing off the walls.

And then I'll brag to our pre-med president, since he was complaining about the PS section today.

23. viciouz

viciouz WesternU 2013
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I got a 7 on my AAMC 10 and my test is this friday =(

24. Foghorn

Foghorn Guest

Two more days of studying isn't going to make a significant difference.

25. .surgical.

.surgical. Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hate to rain on the funeral, but AAMC 10 Verbal was waaaaay easier than the April 12th real-thing verbal.

/cry RELEASE DEM SCORES

26. viciouz

viciouz WesternU 2013
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I can only pray for a miracle I guess.

27. pauven

pauven Sir Patchwork
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    yea i totally hear you on the crater - sink hole one

i know this is venting about verbal- but how about that Bio one with the "VOLE" ??? :laugh:

28. viciouz

viciouz WesternU 2013
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Vole... u mean mouse... ahaha that question was ******ed.

I got it wrong because after thinking about it, I figured its a respiratory viral infection, therefore a mouse could not pass it on... but before you know it... ITS A FREAKING MOUSE!

29. badasshairday

badasshairday Vascular and Interventional Radiology
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What kind of ****ty question is that? Seriously. I knew at vole was some kind of rodent, but what the hell was that question doing on the bio section of the MCAT. So freakin random. I guess they give you hints because its rural...

30. mvenus929

Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Fellow [Any Field]
    I would've never connected mouse to rural, because we had mice in our house in the city (yeah, it was horrible... didn't take us long to move out), and we had snakes at our house in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah, I completely guessed on that one.

31. singkri

2+ Year Member

Actually I agree on the sinkholes thing as well... i have reservations abt one qn in the writer passage- cmon the passage mentions "inspiration".(within quotes).. so how wld one choose the 'right answer'? I went with the love-hate thing and got that wrong.

Then the other passage abt puritans- ok they were nonconformist, but i think the religious doctrine was reading too much between the liness!!!! I mean, so why cant one extrapolate a little further on how their leaders wld have behaved. Damn it- I'm gg to kill VR

I did make a few silly mistakes too:))

Oh, btw... was BS really tat tuff.. I got 5 wrong but still managed a 13!!! so the curve must have been.....??

Hope my may 25 will have good science passages, and god-o-god i'd rather spend more time praying for VR than practising passages:smuggrin:

32. govhonors

govhonors New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    wow!! i'm in the same boat as you! i scored a 4 on that one also, and i had been scoring 10-12!! i'm glad other ppl felt weird about that one, that's for sure...

33. Lshapley

Lshapley Old Man Med Student
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Just took this one earlier today, taking the MCAT on Wednesday...

The vole question had me stumped for a while but, here was the trick. Even if you don't know what I vole is (I didn't) you do know that the healthcare workers weren't catching it (i.e., they didn't get it from humans). The other two choices were just ridiculous (fish or lizard!) Had to be the mouse since, genetically speaking, it is considered "almost human".

34. DieselD

DieselD ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Didnt do so hot on this one... got a 7 in verbal...I'm starting to panic. But at least I scored very high(for me) in PS and BS. I felt tired during the verbal and the BS.

Overall score on AAMC 10: 32 which is a 5 point increase from last years test. I just dont want to drop in verbal. I'll be happy with an 8. :(

35. chad5871

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I got a 10 (one question from an 11) on AAMC 10's verbal. Hopefully this means that my verbal scores have finally improved and I'll do very well on the verbal on test day (tomorrow, well technically later on today!)

36. zhousilai

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

lol same here, i didn't know what a vole is, maybe because i am a foreigner
    then i guessed fish because that seems the only thing human will eat and get the infection since there is no human-human infection lol

glad that i am not the only one

37. greg1184

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Theres also a mistake on #54:

The question asks "Dort Mentions sink holes in order to:"
    A) says "To eliminate an alternate hypothesis regarding the formation of the crater"
    The explanation says: "The elimination of an alternate hypothesis is the reason for the reference to sinkholes," with the explanation that "the rock formations aren't the sort to collapse and form sinkholes". <- Sounds like the test is insinuating this answer.

B) says to impress the reader with the uniqueness of the delivery.
    Explanation: "The inference is that the sinkhole would make the depression a LESS unique feature and thus require a MORE COMMON explanation..."

The answer is supposed to be A, but they mark B the correct answer.

38. chad5871

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    You've got to be freakin' kidding me! So I did really get an 11 on this section. :eek: What a confidence boost!

39. greg1184

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    For me it was the difference between an 8 and a 9 in that section. They highlighted blue the wrong answer! The explanations are pretty clear which is the answer.

40. majik1213

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    i got a 7 on that but an 8 on the real thing. Also, there is an error on that, so when I changed my answer to agree to the erroneous, but credited answer choice I got a 7 (it was 6 before)

41. miamia20

5+ Year Member

same issue! just took cbt 10 today, and although my range in verbal is 10-12, this time I got a 9 :/

42. apoptos

apoptos purulent & supple
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I took CBT 10 today and on FOUR different problems they showed the SOLUTION as I took the test! On three of them I instinctively clicked as I read, which I tend to do...so I couldn't leave it unanswered! I'm really ticked off, because how am I supposed to know my actual score? I tried to balance it out by marking one right and one wrong. Can't remember how I left the other one. Dammit. :smuggrin:

43. onetryfitsbest

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Would someone explain #129... the answer it provides doesn't seem to make sense, because there are 3 equivalents, but 2 Ph groups are added and 2 OH's are changed to OMgBr.

44. Despina

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Don't worry. I scored higher on Verbal on the real MCAT than on AAMC 10. I got a 7 on AAMC 10, and a 9 on the real thing.