1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

AAMC 11 #105 Chromosome question

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by tshank, Sep 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tshank

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    "Assume that a certain species with sex chromosomes R and S exist such that RR individuals develop as males and RS individuals develop a females. Which of the following mechanisms would most likely to compensate for the potential imbalance of sex chromosome gene products between males and females of this species?"

A - Inactivation of one R chromosome in males
    B - Doubling transcription from the S chromosome in females
    C - Inactivation of the R chromosomes in females
    D - Doubling the transcription from the R chromosomes in males

The answer is A. I understand AAMC's explanation - eliminating an R would make each individual only have one R - but, I don't understand why the others are wrong.
    Would A create 2RR and 2RS gene products? And that is the idea?
    If so, why doesn't C work? C would create RS and RS products also - which would be balanced.
    I think I'm just generally confused on this question, can someone translate it for me and show me how to think about this problem? Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thread closed. These types of questions belong in the MCAT Study Q&A forum only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.