AAMC 11 = 27, Take the test in a week. AAMC 3-9 average = 31.8 Possible Burnout?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fneverforget

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took AAMC 11 today and did terribly. What should I do? Here are my MCAT scores for AAMC 3-9.

AAMC 3
PS- 11
V- 11
BS - 9
Total: 31

AAMC 4
PS - 10
V -11
BS- 10

AAMC 5
PS- 12
V- 11
BS- 11
Total: 34

AAMC 7
PS - 9
V- 13
BS - 10
Total: 32

AAMC 9
PS- 11
V - 10
BS -10

AAMC 11
PS - 10
V - 7 (I ran out of time and I had to guess randomly on 1 passage. I was so tired after the PS section that I couldn't properly focus on the Verbal section)
BS - 10 (took a 20 minute break after verbal because I was feeling so tired).
Total: 27 :(

I took AAMC 9 the day before yesterday and I don't know if this made me burnout on AAMC 11. I thought I was doing fine on AAMC 11 until I got my scores back. What should I do for the next week. I take the MCAT on August 18. My goal this first time is a 30+. I don't know if I am burning out or if I have an endurance problem on this exam.

With all of these full-lengths, I have been skipping the writing sections, but I have done all the other sections in the proper order consecutively.

I have been preparing for the mcat for 3 months now, 2-3 hours a day. I have been studying at home (not at my college) and I have lost all contact with my friends from high school since I go to college out-of-state. As a result, for the past 3 months, I have just bummed around home and studied 2-3 hours a day. Since there is nothing to do in my hometown I just watch movies online and do 2-3 hours of mcat work. Since I haven't really been doing much besides mcat work, I was wondering if burnout is the reason I screwed up AAMC 11.

I am worried because AAMC 11 is what everyone says is closest to the real thing.

Should I take AAMC 10 within this next week? I was thinking about taking it on Monday, my exam is on Thursday. What should I do for the next week? My original plan was to go through all my kaplan MCAT flashcards 2 times (kaplan flashcards are 350 flashcards long). Do a verbal section test in the EK book everyday for the next week, and do content review in areas that I am weak in. Now that I feel like I am burning out I don't know what to do.........

Please Help......:( I don't want to end up with a score below a 30 my first time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your averages seem pretty solid (33ish). AAMC maybe more similar to the actual MCAT, but it is only one test. It could be you are a little worn out or some material "didn't speak to you". Odds are you will score above 30. Don't let one test convince you otherwise.

I wouldn't call it burnout when you're studying for 2-3 hours a day. And I wouldn't call it being lonely because you've been having the same routine for the past 3 months; a change in scores wouldn't be attributable to that.

I would just relax one day, go outside get some sun, and if you have any AAMC left finish those off and see where you are. Since all your practices were above 30 except for one you should still be okay.

^^^ You guys sure? I haven't been doing the writing sections (no point since they can't be graded) What I have done instead for the writing section is go through lots of writing prompts and make databases for them (what kind of examples I could use, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't beat yourself up over one section of one exam, not when you've been pretty consistent with everything else so far. The more important thing is going in with confidence. You'll be fine :thumbup:

^^ There is a fine line b/w complacency and confidence. I think I may have crossed that line......What if that happens to me on the actual mcat? I will be so screwed.....I originally wanted a 33 or higher, since my gpa is in line with top 25 medical schools (a 33 would make me competitive for most top 25 medical schools). Now I am scared, because if I make a 27, I can kiss top 25 medical schools and any U.S. MD medical schools goodbye......

I should have and I could have worked harder, but I think I am more motivated to study when I am back at college with my friends, rather than sitting at home bored/depressed.......

Do your best on test day (It's all you can do) and it sounds like you're just tired. If you're able to I would recommend sleeping in this weekend, no alarms and nothing to wake you up.

You can do some light studying this week and get on a good sleep schedule.

RESTTTTTTT. On AAMC 11 you just didnt pace yourself. Practice verb each day and do a few passages. Do light stuff. Recover and murder the mcat with the best you've got

So on almost all the AAMC tests I have taken, I have always had 9-10 questions left with 2 minutes to do them in the science sections. I usually have to guess randomly on these questions because there is no time left. Even though most of my science scores have been all right, I know this could REALLY hurt me on the real MCAT. The main reason pacing is so hard, is because on every passage there is usually 1-2 questions that I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA on how to solve. I just skip them and tell myself I will come back to them. That is what screws me over. Is this normal? What should I do on the real MCAT?

So on almost all the AAMC tests I have taken, I have always had 9-10 questions left with 2 minutes to do them in the science sections. I usually have to guess randomly on these questions because there is no time left. Even though most of my science scores have been all right, I know this could REALLY hurt me on the real MCAT. The main reason pacing is so hard, is because on every passage there is usually 1-2 questions that I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA on how to solve. I just skip them and tell myself I will come back to them. That is what screws me over. Is this normal? What should I do on the real MCAT?

Make a sound strategy while you are taking your practice exams and don't deviate from that strategy on your test day.

My strategy: I would normally guess on a difficult question and mark that question in hopes of revisiting that passage later.

^^ lol, I guess the problem lies with the fact that I wasn't able to make a sound strategy during my practice exams.

Very similar thing happened to me. I was averages 31-33 on all AAMCs before 11. Took 11 two days after I took 10 and 3 days before exam. 28. It really was just a case of burnout. I did very light content review for a day after that (just an hour or so) and then took the next day and a half completely off and just relaxed. I did one more quick 20 min run-through of overall content the night before and got a good sleep. Bounced back and got a 34, matching my highest AAMC score.

If AAMC 11 is most like the real one and you got 10s on the sciences and got 10s to 13s on your other tests on VR, consider the VR on AAMC 11 an outlier. There's always going to be one outlier. So don't worry at all. Take the sciences as a good boost and consider that your one outlier with verbal

Very similar thing happened to me. I was averages 31-33 on all AAMCs before 11. Took 11 two days after I took 10 and 3 days before exam. 28. It really was just a case of burnout. I did very light content review for a day after that (just an hour or so) and then took the next day and a half completely off and just relaxed. I did one more quick 20 min run-through of overall content the night before and got a good sleep. Bounced back and got a 34, matching my highest AAMC score.

Thanks man, I wish I can do the same. I went through a couple of BS sections from kaplan exams and scored 12s and 13s on them. Yet on AAMC I can only score 9-11. Kaplan BS tend to cover things that I am good at like evolution, genetics, while AAMC tests haven't covered that on any exam that I have taken (if it has, it was only a couple of discrete, never a passage).