AAMC 11 VR any thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flodhi1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
All I can say is wow at the VR section lmao scored 3 points below my VR AAMC average. So can anyone that has taken the real deal please tell me it wasn't like AAMC 11 lol. The passages seemed to be easy to comprehend and follow but the questions just blew me away. Do you guys feel the same or is it just me? and seriously how indicative is the VR of 11 to the real deal?

Members don't see this ad.

All I can say is wow at the VR section lmao scored 3 points below my VR AAMC average. So can anyone that has taken the real deal please tell me it wasn't like AAMC 11 lol. The passages seemed to be easy to comprehend and follow but the questions just blew me away. Do you guys feel the same or is it just me? and seriously how indicative is the VR of 11 to the real deal?

It depends. Sometimes vr section gets tough like AAMC 11 or 9. wish you luck though

I think you should look at the whole sample. For my case the AAMC predicts my score pretty accurate. Error is within 1.

AAMC# PS VR BS
4 13 9 11 33
5 11 11 11 33
7 13 9 12 34
8 14 8 11 33
9 14 11 12 37
10 13 10 13 36
11 13 9 11 33

Real
MCAT 12 10 11 33

I think you should look at the whole sample. For my case the AAMC predicts my score pretty accurate. Error is within 1.

AAMC# PS VR BS
4 13 9 11 33
5 11 11 11 33
7 13 9 12 34
8 14 8 11 33
9 14 11 12 37
10 13 10 13 36
11 13 9 11 33

Real
MCAT 12 10 11 33

My lowest two verbal scores were AAMC 8 and 11 with me getting demolished the most in 11 lol

Members don't see this ad :)
My verbal average was an 11, got an 10 on AAMC 11, and got a 7 on the real thing. My verbal on test day was beyond ridiculous though. Praying for a better one on a retake :xf:

AAMC 9
VR = 9

AAMC 10
VR = 10

AAMC 11
VR = 10

Real MCAT
VR = 6

Wasn't so happy about that haha

Good luck! :luck:

AAMC11 VR = 10

Real thing VR = 11

Keep practicing. It's not unusual to have a random low score when you are practicing. Just pray your random low score doesn't occur on test day!

hmm, based on these stories, it looks like there is very little correlation to be made between verbal scores on aamc 11 versus real thing. a 4 point decrease is a considerable deviation. maybe these are just outliers? or can it just be that SOME people panic on the real thing and thus fail to meet their average? i found aamc 11 to be in line with all the other tests, and basically right in line with the real test. however, i haven't received my test scores so i can't really speak to this. what does everyone else think?

I think that when you see large deviations in scores, such as a 4 point single section deviation from the average, there is more at play than the test itself. I would venture to guess that the people who do that much worse on the actual exam do so because they get really anxious, lose confidence, or have a bad test experience in some other way. But hey, maybe I'm completely off base with this.

I averaged 11 on My AAMC practice tests. However I did score 10 for VR on AAMC #10 and #11.

Then I scored a 10 on VR for the real deal.

Also the score breakdown I got for AAMC #11 VR: 10 PS:11 and BS:13 ,was the exact breakdown I got on the actual MCAT.

On AAMC 11, I scored an 11 on VR, which was mean for all AAMC tests.

Don't know about the real deal. 2 weeks until scores are out....

AAMC 11 was the best indicator of my real MCAT score (off by only 1 point on VR; my PS :)() and BS :)D) scores were spot on).

But another factor to consider is that AAMC 11 is usually the last one people take before the real MCAT so they are likely to be at the same level of preparedness for AAMC 11 and the real deal.

thanks guys. i didn't know that aamc 11 was a real exam administered in 2010. good to know :) i know difficulty and subject matter tend to vary from test to test, but i believe the nature of the material was very similar to conditions on the real thing. definitely a great test to use for raising mcat preparedness. i still think there could be a small deviation from the practice average if content and luck are in your favor. learning from experiences and mistakes on aamc 11 would also play a part in that :)

Do you all think that the same applies for the BS and PS sections? Like getting above a 10/11 is mostly based upon reading comprehension than content based mistakes?

In any case, in terms of verbal, I usually do okay, but lately, it's been a bit rocky... I'm not sure what to attribute this change to other than second-guessing myself a lot more =I

i think success in the sciences requires both skills. some questions will be purely content based, others will need to be answered with the passage in mind. i think the BS is moving more in this direction, but that shouldn't worry you. retrieval questions aren't always that bad, just requires practice and awareness. sometimes both skills may be necessary to answer a question.

i feel like verbal skills may also come in handy in sciences when you're deciding between like answer choices. answers can be very specific.

AAMC 11 was okay. I remember AAMC 9 being a lot more difficult though maybe it was because I was more distracted. I managed a 10 on AAMC 11. Contrast that to AAMC 9 and AAMC 10 where I got 9, and 11, respectively - I thought it was alright.

I had the exact same score breakdown on AAMC 10 and 11.

12 PS 10 VR 13 BS

looking for at least a point higher on the real thing.