AAMC 3 BS, Passage 5

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0Member0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone reviewed Passage 5 of the Biological Science from AAMC 3?

If so, I am a bit confused to the terminology they use.

1. When they say 'reasborbed by the kidney means", does that mean the the blood secretes stuff back into the kidney?

2. What does "Plasma clearance refers to the capaciy of the kidney to remove a substance from the plasma"....mean?

I am getting really confused with how the use the terms.

May someone, please please, clarify?

Any help would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone reviewed Passage 5 of the Biological Science from AAMC 3?

If so, I am a bit confused to the terminology they use.

1. When they say 'reasborbed by the kidney means", does that mean the the blood secretes stuff back into the kidney?

2. What does "Plasma clearance refers to the capaciy of the kidney to remove a substance from the plasma"....mean?

I am getting really confused with how the use the terms.

May someone, please please, clarify?

Any help would be great.

Four terms you need to know about the kidney urine formation

Filtration: Stuff (mostly small proteins) that leaves blood and enters the bowman's capsule of the kidney lumen.

Reabsorption: Some particles that have been filtered into the the bowman's capsule are reabsorbed back into blood at a location downstream from the glomerulous. (so you had this backwards...when you hear reabsorption..stuff is always re-entering the blood).

Secretion: Components of blood that do not get filtered at the glomerulous can be secreted into the kidney lumen at the peritubular capillaries (secretion = leaving blood)

Excretion: fluid leaving the body from the urinary tract.

Tm in the passage means the maximum rate of reabsorption (leaving lumen and back into blood plasma). Tubular load (Tl) is the maximum rate of filtration...You should now be able to see that if the filtration rate is greater than the reabsorption rate...stuff begins to be seen in urine. If Tl > Tm = substance appears in urine..

Plasma clearance in this case means: the ability of the kidney to filter at a greater rate than reabsorb....thus clearing a substance from the plasma so it can leave via urine.